• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Ausbb Fish keeping

kaz

iLift
We have a few spin off threads but none dedicated to Aquariums and set ups.

Just bought an Eheim Professional 3 Cannister but interested in seeing what some members are running for filtration on their set ups.
My Aqua One days are over!

Where Trophius?......

I only have the 2 tanks setup at the moment a 6x18 and a 4x18, a few years ago I have around 20 tanks mostly 4ft tanks breeding African cichlids, both Malawi and tanganyikans, bred over 25 different species throughout my time....

Personally I like sumps.

All the plumbing, heaters, filters, etc are hidden in the cabinet below, makes everything look neater.

Plus you're generally skimming water from the surface, which clears off the film that can form on the top, and removes anything else floating too.

They also make water changes very easy.

Plus they're much more fun to set up.

should get into aquaponics. atleast you get to eat those fish for the costs of keeping them healthy, and let them feed/filter a vege patch too.

Personally I like sumps.

All the plumbing, heaters, filters, etc are hidden in the cabinet below, makes everything look neater.

Plus you're generally skimming water from the surface, which clears off the film that can form on the top, and removes anything else floating too.

They also make water changes very easy.

Plus they're much more fun to set up.

Have had lots of tanks over the years, from when I was about ten.

Eheim are great, used one on a 6x2x2 tank for years was great, but can't beat the sump for a large tank I had a 8x2x2 with a large sump filter,super neat and works so well, almost no maintenance required, may be clean it once or twice a year, and then only clean one half so as to not upset the natural bacteria in the sump too much.

Aqua One are great for the first month or so and they start falling apart fast, I had the Eheim with built in heater element, and digital temperature control, was a great item.

Also had a Aqua One all in one tank, was really nice for about 12 months then everything started to deteriorate, the plastic lid started cracking, the lights just fell apart the plastic was not really stable and just crumbled turning to powder went to Aqua One head office in Ingleburn and met with the manager took the lid there and they said, it's old what do you expect nothing lasts for ever, and they offered me a free magnetic glass cleaner thing worth $5, I did not even take it and left in disgust.

Will find some photos and post them up when I am at home, at work at the moment so no photos:)

Last edited:
should get into aquaponics. atleast you get to eat those fish for the costs of keeping them healthy, and let them feed/filter a vege patch too.

Yep all over that too, have had a setup for about 18mths now, 2 lots of rainbow trout put through it, but still learning and getting the conditions right so have only eaten about 5 or 6 trout from it and the others have died as a result of water conditions and heat.

Just maintaing the system over the summer months here in Vic and then come April or when the weather settles down will restock with some yearlings and hopefully get a better harvest of trout for next year.

Yep all over that too, have had a setup for about 18mths now, 2 lots of rainbow trout put through it, but still learning and getting the conditions right so have only eaten about 5 or 6 trout from it and the others have died as a result of water conditions and heat.

Just maintaing the system over the summer months here in Vic and then come April or when the weather settles down will restock with some yearlings and hopefully get a better harvest of trout for next year.

nice, yeah its not as easy as it looks. have been a bill mollison fan for many years now, some good stuff out there.

Sadly I no longer have any tanks running, but some photos of previous efforts:

fts04052010.jpg

fts19072010.jpg

Hey, there's Nemo!

You found him! Lol

Great work [MENTION=8564]Semillon[/MENTION];

This is Killer, my volitans lionfish. I gave him away and he is a feature fish in a Campbelltown aquarium store.

e6uvymy3.jpg

Last edited:
I ran a sump on my marine tank. I eventually changed all the pumps over to eheim.
I prefer a sump but my tank isn't built with the hole etc and I dont feel like stripping my poor tank down again!

Did you ever feed the Killer live little fish and watch with pride as he eats them, like Dr. Evil would do in the movies?