• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Bulk Nutrients Review: Test Max, WPC, BCAA

Oversizedspoon

Test Max:

To be up front I am a bit skeptical of this product, but I decided to purchase it with my order to see how it went. I am taking test max in the split dosage, so 6g morning and 6g at night. I take no pre workouts, unless you count 1 black coffee.

I tried to drink with a full glass of water and found that there was quite a bit of sediment on the bottom and I couldn't stand the taste enough to keep drinking that way, so I use the least amount of water I can stir into a vortex and slam it down, less tasting time and minimal sediment.

Taste:
5/10 This stuff doesn't taste that great and according to my girlfriend leaves ones breath less then pleasant. There is a bitey sour citrus kick at the end.

Mixability: 4/10 I have find that there is a decent amount of sediment at the bottom of the glass if you drink it like a normal drink.

Effects: I have only been on this for about a week. 4 days since I began taking test max I noticed that my desire to do more was way up. I am not feeling physically stronger as such but I am wanting to put more in to my workouts. For example yesterday was chest day and by the end I could barely do a dumbell fly with a light weight, but still wanted to work more so I did squats and calf raises and later in the day went for a run.
I am planning on updating this post later on to see if this continues etc.

Vanilla WPC

I have tried 5 other WPC's from BN -I have reviewed on this forum if you want to see.
This is so far the best tasting vanilla protein powder I have had to date and that's with either water or skim milk. So well done BN.

Taste: 10/10 I seriously love this one. It's nice, creamy, thick and bubbly. By itself it taste awesome. If you have an iced coffee craving put instant coffee in this and it's awesome.

Mixability: 10/10 I am a vigorous shaker, so I don't find lumps to often in my protein powders, so not surprising that there aren't any to be found when I mix this one. It mixes well and quick and becomes thick and bubbly, kind of like a milk shake. I'm not sure if this what BN are going for by I like it.

Apple Raspberry BCAA

Besides the intra workout use of BCAAs, I also use them to satisfy my sweet tooth when I have a soft drink craving. I have to say I found the flavour a bit disappointing. It taste quite fake and a bit bitter. I have taken to making sure I only have a full water bottle with it to dilute the flavour right down. I have had quite a few BCAAs before and sorry guys, this flavour just doesn't rank.

Taste: 3/10 It's drinkable if mixed with a fair bit of water. I just find the flavour to fake and honestly don't taste apple or raspberry in this. This is not a flavour that I will be picking up again.

Mixability: 8/10 Mixes well, though I do find that I need to give the bottom of the drink bottom a good tap to dislodge a bit of the product. Definitely a water first product.

Update on testmax:

I just recently finished my testmax. I can't say that I felt stronger as much but during the time I was taking it my mood as incredible. Everything was just fucking awesome and my motivation to lift was higher then ever. So if that goes away in the next week without it then I will be getting more.
As for the taste, sort of got used to it. It was never a flavour that I was excited to have at the start or end of each day but it wasn't repulsive.
I should add that I went with the dosage of 6g morning before training and 6g when home from work, so around 12 hours apart.

I tries the test Max. I found the flavour far too strong. had to put well over 600ml of water to dilute it, but I took 12gms at a time.

I've been searching for a good BCAA flavour. I've had the bulk nutrients lime flavour and it is disgusting. Getting through it pre-workout is a chore I don't look forward to, it's that bad.

I'll probably go Scivation Xtend next time, as apparently the Watermelon flavour is the one to go for. At $80 including shipping for 1.2kg, it's actually cheaper than Bulk Nutrients on a $/kg basis too, even cheaper once you factor in BN's shipping costs.

Xtend, green apple explosion is the bomb. Pink lemonade was pretty good too so I don't think any of them would be too bad

I've been searching for a good BCAA flavour. I've had the bulk nutrients lime flavour and it is disgusting. Getting through it pre-workout is a chore I don't look forward to, it's that bad.

I'll probably go Scivation Xtend next time, as apparently the Watermelon flavour is the one to go for. At $80 including shipping for 1.2kg, it's actually cheaper than Bulk Nutrients on a $/kg basis too, even cheaper once you factor in BN's shipping costs.

Xtend is a pretty good product compared to most on the market when it comes to fillers and purity. You could be doing a lot worse that's for sure.

Using an Australian online supp warehouse website:

XTEND -

10.5g of active amino acids per 13g serve = an 80% pure product.
($90 on most websites I have seen not including shipping for 1.2kg)

BCAA breakdown:
Leucine 3,500mg
Isoleucine 1,750mg
Valine 1,750mg

BCAA RECOVERY -

12.5g of active amino acids per 13.7g serve = a 91% pure product.
($69 not including shipping for 1kg)

BCAA breakdown:
Leucine 5,000mg
Isoleucine 2,500mg
Valine 2,500mg

I realise you mentioned you pay $80 with shipping. That's pretty good.

It would make BCAA Recovery $81 with shipping.....

Cheers.

Yeah Xtend RRP is way higher but I've found it online elsewhere. This is not to degrade Bulk Nutrients in any way, I have been a loyal customer for your protein, creatine and other products for many years and will continue to be. But I just can't stomach the lime BCAA and am worried about buying another 1kg bag of flavour that I won't be get through.

Most US sites have it for about $80-85 with shipping. Xtend for BCAA's for me. Bulk Nutrients for everything else. Watermelon & Green apple do the trick for me at the moment

Oh man I tried a sample of the BN's lime BCAA and it tastes like old stale Cottee's cordial. I can still wolf it down, but I don't like it. BN, why can't you make watermelon and green appple flavoured BCAA and make them taste good??

Test Max is the worst supplement I've ever tasted. Normally a big fan of BN and I promote them to others, but I still have a full bag of Test Max sitting here minus the two doses that I tried to force down. Literally made me start dry retching and feeling nauseous after finally choking it down.

Even the Ronnie Coleman pre workout tasted better than this.

Thanks for the feedback everyone. We need this.
I'll briefly explain one of the reasons to turning your attention to the percentage of active amino acids between the two products on the last page.

An 80% product has 20% room to play with when it comes to flavouring - that's going to be yum, no doubt.

A 91% product has 9% to play with.

The idea is that the expense / what your money is paying for, is the amino acids. Sweetener doesn't cost anything.
For roughly the same price, you actually get more for your money as opposed to the review earlier done on BCAA Recovery where it was suggested you get less.

I wonder if we were to cut back on the active ingredients, water it down to 80% from 90+% and add the rest with sweetener but charge the same price, would we then be on to a winner. ;)

All feedback like this is recorded. All of this gets passed on to where the mixing all starts and we'll see what we can do.
From what I gather, it seems Lime is the major culprit?

Thanks again. This helps.

YES. Get rid of that gnarly stale lime flavour please. its retch-worthy.

Watermelon, lemonade, apple etc = win

Last edited:
I figured that was the case, more fillers = more taste. I think somewhere in between would be fine, maybe an 85% but that said, I'm happy with the amount of aminos I'm getting per serve of xtend

Make the lime taste like Cottee's Coola cordial and I'll buy it by the pallet!

If the flavours cost nothing, then the cost per g of BCAAs should be the same. If the savings of having a less concentrated product are passed on to the consumer, you would end up paying less for 1kg of the product and just consume a bigger serve to get the same dose of BCAAs. Costs the same and tastes better = win.

I buy bcaas for the bcaa content not the extra stuff like the electrolytes that is in bcaa recovery. Maybe reducing the sodium content and replacing with flavour would be enough of a difference. Or increase the serving size to allow more flavour and bump the price a little.

If your product tastes awesome and works I will pay the extra. At the moment the lower price compared to your competition isn't enough to make me put up with the flavour gap.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Howdy, first time poster, came across this thread and thought it leave my two bobs worth.

I actually don't mind the BN lime flavour! I agree that it's not 'great', but I happily drink it throughout my workout without thinking twice.

I've used Xtend Green Apple and Grape - definitely preferred Green Apple. But I actually like the fact that BCAA Recovery isn't as sweet as Xtend.

I haven't tried any of the other BN flavours so can't comment on them.

One thing i've noticed after BCAA Recovery is if I don't brush my teeth after using it, they'll sort of ache and feel strange! Maybe I just have sensitive teeth, but something in the mix is setting them off!