• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

CrossFit coach Kevin Ogar suffers freak accident during competition

Admin

Administrator. Graeme
Staff member
A SHOCKING accident during a CrossFit competition has left a former coach unable to move from the waist down. Coach Kevin Ogar was performing a powerlift in a California competition on the weekend when his spine was severed, CBS4 reports.
CrossFit has escalated in popularity in recent years and has inspired an enthusiastic community. That group have rallied around Ogar to raise money for his surgeries and rehabilitation. The funds raised are jumping by thousands every few hours.
"It was just kind of a freak accident," says Christian Lucero, who was in competition with Ogar.
"In less than 48 hours they’ve raised over $100,000 for him," CrossFit Unbroken owner Matt Hathcock said.
Hathcock said CrossFitters are known for their sense of community and support. Ogar is particularly well-liked.
"He just has such a bright light that shines from him that everybody knows who Kevin is. Plus he’s this giant red-headed guy," Harmony said. “It’s just such a life-changing thing to happen … it really touched me to the core.”

A lot of us believe he’s going to walk again," Hathcock said. "I just want him to come home."Ogar has already undergone two surgeries in California. He does not have health insurance.

http://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/he...ring-competition/story-fneuzlbd-1226802836305

Notice how they said a powerlift, not a crossfit exercise? egh. Not sure how you'd do this, if it was neck down I'd assume suicide grip on bench.... which most powerlifters will tell you NOT to do.

Sounds more like he could have snatched/c&j'd something, lost control, it fell from head height on his lower spine? How do you .... do this?

A missed snatch at the 2014 OC Throwdown came down on his back, severing his spinal cord and leaving him paralyzed from the T-11 vertebra down. I’ve seen several other athletes drop bars on their backs in training – I’ve dropped a bar on my back in training – but fortunately never with this result…

http://thefittestgames.com/kevin-ogar/

Yeah, so an oly lift, like I thought.

Unfortunate, I always saw that risk in those lifts and wondered why there weren't a lot of injuries... Even from the bar coming down in front of you during the catch part of the clean (not bouncing back in time). I'm not by any means experienced in oly lifting though

he was attempting a 3rm snatch at one of the bigger crossfit comps in the states, Crossfit prices will not go up as the only comp run by them is the crossfit games, all other comps are run by other companys/gyms

before the "crossfit is bad " brigade jumps on ,keep in mind that a footballer down geelong was left a quadriplegic after being hurt during a football match just last year

Olympic lifts are dangerous at any time, done under fatigue from earlier exercises will only increase rate of serious injuries.

It is a risk that crossfitters will have to take in terms of how far they want to push.

before the "crossfit is bad " brigade jumps on ,keep in mind that a footballer down geelong was left a quadriplegic after being hurt during a football match just last year

Yes it can happen anywhere. As you know, my wife works with spinal cord injuries.

But fuck Crossfit anyway lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Geez there are some d1ckheads on this site.

As mentioned, it was a 3RM snatch, he failed backwards and fell backwards in a sitting position. There was a stack of bumpers behind him, the bar hit the bumpers bouncing the barbell into his back while he was seated. Is the snatch to blame here? Nope. Is Crossfit to blame? Nope. Is housekeeping to blame? Most likely. If the bumpers weren't there, would we be talking about this? Probably not. Let's be clear about what the cause of the accident is before we go jumping on the anti Crossfit bandwagon

I like facts mate, everyone is saying stupid sh1t without the facts. I respect Crossfit for what it is. I don't think there is a better test of fitness out there. As I have said before, Crossfitters make Crossfit stupid, go on any forum discussing this topic at the moment and you will see that for yourself. But to point the finger at the snatch or Crossfit in this instance would be like blaming Maccas for fat people.

can't find a vid yet

This was the work out for the comp ,and he was doing no 8.

Swim 25mts
10 Burpees
Swim 25mts
9 Burpees
Swim 25mts
8 Burpees
Swim 25mts
7 Burpees
Swim 25mts
6 Burpees
Swim 25mts
5 Burpees
Swim 25mts
4 Burpees
Swim 25mts
3 Burpees
Swim 25mts
2 Burpees
Swim 25mts
1 Burpees

Total points from:
Forty Yard Dash
Bench Press

Total points from:
Vertical Jump
Broad Jump
3 Cone Drill
Twenty Yard Shuttle

12-9-6

Squat Clean 210/130
Handstand Push-Ups

5 Min Clock x 3

Fran 95/65

Score: Slowest Fran
missing reps: 5 sec penalty

5 Minutes Per Round, no rest, other than your time faster than 5 min. Next Fran starts every 5 min.

3 mile run

mile 1 with two 1.5 pood/1 pood dumb-bell carry
mile 2 with one 1.5 pood/1pood dumb-bell carry
mile 3 with no carry

separate score for event 7 â?? mile time without carry

Total points from:

3 round strength
Elimination series

a. touch and go 3 rep max snatch
b. touch and go three rep max hang clean
c. two rep max back squat

Triplet 1