• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Running

Sydking

So many BBer don't like to run, People are scared they will loose all the beloved muscles and deflate like a popped balloon.

If the 5km per day run does not put you in a high calories deficit, Protein is kept high and you keep lifting.

Then for me.... Running should increase muscle mass if anything, Its alot of work for your legs to carry a 100kg person 5km....

Quads and calves would be pumping.

Either way the health benefits outweigh any aesthetics

It's an easy (fast) way to cut fat/weight too.

Not sure if it will build muscle mass on the legs, but definitely aid definition.

I do it because I enjoy it, it's a great way to purge all the baggage I bring home from work.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

What you tyros need to grasp is that the practices, that the paid bodybuilders follow are not health based or motivated.

i tried running , fractured a bone in doing so , so gave up running
i figured it was the universe saying "woah easy on Graeme , don't go over doing it"

love running, albeit I run a lot slower these days.

Once ran 5km on grass 18m, now would be lucky to break 25m if I killed myself.

I run 10-15m on machine 2-3 times per week.

I think you can still build muscle while doing a bit of running, assuming runs not too strenuous and rest of training and diet is ok.

I'm still losing a bit of fat from winter so doing 10 minutes of intervals every day I lift and 25-30 minutes on 'rest' days. Has shed the fat fast but probably only dropped a couple of kg so it's certainly not depleting muscle. As said, just keep up the protein intake as well as healthy fats.

You get fit pretty quick, when I first started doing them, I'd be stuffed for the rest of the day, now the 10 minute sessions are a walk in the park.

I'll certainly be keeping bulk season a bit cleaner than last year though!

Ever tried running on gear? Lol

I haven't, but I'd be interested to hear about it!

I run a fair bit, including a couple of half marathons last year. I'm just coming back from being pretty crook so at the moment it's about 5km a day, 6 days a week.

On the days I lift it's on the treadmill as a warm up for my workout.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

Just cant be done really except on very low doses. The pumps will just be insane, after about 500m your calfs would explode. I get a good pump just walking.

Its why athletes stick to very small doses of aas

Love running as well. I actually don't really feel 'in shape' unless my stamina is high. I like to run normal paced (not slow, but not super fast) and for a distance around 5-10k. I also like to run stairs or hills for added difficulty and to also help build a bit more definition in my legs/bum at the same time.

I'm fascinated by ultra marathons. I'm doing the Kokoda challenge on Gold Coast this July for the first time. 96km of mountain trails. Never done anything like it before. Started training but looong way to go.

I'm fascinated by ultra marathons. I'm doing the Kokoda challenge on Gold Coast this July for the first time. 96km of mountain trails. Never done anything like it before. Started training but looong way to go.

good on ya mate... would like to do that myself one day

Never been a fan of running for exercise, prefer bike/swimming/stair climbing. Do however get a fair chunk of running from indoor/outdoor soccer.

Love my running. Road runs & sprints, happy doing either.
Nothing too long on the pavement, but have done the tough mudder, which I thought would be more obstacle than run, but I was wrong.
I think you can incorporate running into any training schedule. The better your lungs are, the more you can push in the gym IMO