• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Travelling to Phuket - advice

zayd687

Hi Guys
im Travelling with the other half to Thailand. This is my first trip there, I don't really want to go there but im being dragged.

What are some good resorts?. Should we book from here or just go there and enter a resort?
any tips on the trip?

advice appreciated
:)

Tip No.1 Always wear a condom. :D

If you want to be in the middle of the hussle a bustle, stay in patong.
I normally stay 6 minutes outside patong in Le Meridian, that way I dont have to put up with it 24hrs a day.

In thailand you dont have to prepay accom, pay at the end so you are free to move around if the spot doesnt suit you.

Tip No.2, pay them 1/3 of what they ask for whatever rubbish they sellyn.

Tip No.3, do not try to understand the joint, just roll with it. Its an absolute gangfuck, but it is what it is, just enjoy the 5 star resort for peanuts and the good weather and food. Trying to understand it will just give you an unnsecessary headache.

Have fun.

And looking at your avatar, when you walk down the main drag the locals will call you Michael Jackson, dont get heart broken, took me a while, but they are actually saying Michael Tyson, just sounds like MJ. LOL :D

Hey dude, why so sad?

Can think of many places that would be worse to go! :D

We got married there. Spent one week in Phuket, another in Bangkok.

Loved it. Preferred Phuket for the beaches and slightly more chilled out atmosphere.

Too many Aussies there though!

Check out Katathani resort. Merlin beach resort was also quite good for the $$ apparently.

It's far enough away from the main Bangla (sp?) road etc... but has its own beach and A+ value for money (Also, had the best looking gym out of the bunch I checked out)

It's still close enough for a cheap tuk tuk or cab ride into the busy areas though.

Everything is up for negotiation when it comes to price in the markets etc.. Even in the established shopping areas if that's your thing. But I would only negotiate so much as you're generally already getting a great deal on stuff and the standard of living for the locals makes you appreciate what you've got!

You'll love it mate. Will be the best trip you never wanted ;)

I went last year (october), i'll just give you a few things that i noticed while i was there:

You get hassled from just about every person you see trying to sell you something. I went with my family and what i found worked for me was just making a list of things i wanted to get while i was there and sticking to that.

- Keep in mind (you'll realise when you get there) that almost every single market is selling the same stuff and they all want your money so your in a great position as you can tell them how much you will pay for things, they all have a price but its always highly overinflated (Eg: i bought "nike free runs" they started at 2800 baht - I paid 1000 baht ($30 AUD) so if one place isnt willing to come to the party on price dont worry cos someone else always will.

- Also it smells a bit.

Ok so thats about all the negative things, on a positive note:

- Everything is cheap - food, tourist attractions etc.
- You can get a tuk tuk just about anywhere at any time for 200 baht
- The people at resorts/restaurants etc are very accommodating, even if they cant do something 100% how you want it they will give it a red hot go.
- A lot of the area is very picturesque

Hope this helps, enjoy your trip.

hahaha, I haven't cracked up that much in awhile, made my day with the responses.
Ok Im going with the mrs so there's no action unless from her.

* always go for 1/3rd of the price they offer and there should be somebody else selling the same thing.
* book accommodation when we get there? i'll look at some of the resorts above how much should i be looking at for a night?
* are they annoying like in bali where they follow you and try to sell you over priced junk or sympathy stories I should be prepared for?.

Also I was planning to stay in the resort and mostly relax but she will want to go to do some activities and attractions/ shopping , night life any ideas what is there or can name a few things?

ALSO the food ! did any of you guys encounter upset stomachs when you started eating their food!, thought i'd bring backup meds incase I get the runs from the chilli or something.

thank you for the responses guys, haha the MJ comment.

Last edited:
hahaha, I haven't cracked up that much in awhile, made my day with the responses.

* always go for 1/3rd of the price they offer and there should be somebody else selling the same thing.
* book accommodation when we get there? i'll look at some of the resorts above how much should i be looking at for a night?
* are they annoying like in bali where they follow you and try to sell you over priced junk or sympathy stories I should be prepared for?.

Also I was planning to stay in the resort and mostly relax but she will want to go to do some activities and attractions/ shopping , night life any ideas what is there or can name a few things?

ALSO the food ! did any of you guys encounter upset stomachs when you started eating their food!, thought i'd bring backup meds incase I get the runs from the chilli or something.

Bro, I had the same apprehensions with the food but it is ill-founded.

The restaurants are for the most part all top notch. Common sense prevails. If it looks good, it probably is - and CHEAP as. I mean you can eat like a king for little coin.

I didn't try the street food, but saw many other tourists happy to eat it. With the restaurant quality food being so cheap, there was no need to go near it anyways.

Personally I would book ahead. Especially for the resorts.

shop around... agoda, expedia etc.. other search engines and you will see the ones that tick your requirements.

We stayed away from the craziness from Patong but were still close enough to get in by a shortish tuk tuk ride or taxi fare.

Oh, and the massages over there... If you don't have your Mrs. with you a lot of them (not necessarily all) will offer to give you one with a happy ending. At a price of course :eek:

Ping Pong shows are everywhere, but tbh the shows in Bangkok were much, much more full-on and entertaining (i.e. razorblades in orifices, shooting darts etc..) And before any fellas give me a hard time about taking in shows while there for my wedding - it was the Mrs. idea!! :p

* Yep, seal the deal at a third of what they ask, they all sell the same shit in every stall and there is literally 100s of them, go to the back markets, beach front stall will ask for more, youll get the hang of quickliy, everyone does. They are not as annoying as Bali, nicer people.

* dont worry because youre going with the missus, the only thing that separates your happy ending and the missus is a thin curtain. ;)

*check out accom oline, get prices, then ring hotel direct to see of they can beat it, they ususally will. My missus does all the booking and we go with kids but from memory sould not pay any more than $100 for the both of you per night, its very cheap for what you get.
Do your homework here, cos you can pay 1/2 price to someone else staying next door, youll be spewing to find out youve just paid double than the kunce next door.

*2 popular spots in patong are: Graceland and the Holiday in, both accross the road from the beach. But as I mentioned, I prefer outside patong. Have stayed in le Meridian (my favourite, private beach and awesome waves for body surfing), Cintara Grand, Merlin Beach, and this other one that I cannot remember the name of, we had a pool access room (well worth it).

* sounds like you want to do what 99.9% of all tourist there do.
Chill by the pool and swim in the beach all day, then walk the "gauntlet" at the beach front and Bangala Rd. plenty of shopping, restaurants and night life there.
Day activities are everywhere, jet skis, power boat rides, parasailing, they will find you, dont worry, avioding them will be the harder task. :D
Youll develop a ritual soon enough, fully chill out.
Just remember, do not get offended, prostitution is in your face there, the girls offered babysitting services and a free pedacure for my wife if I came in for a quickie. :eek:

*And yes, be prepared to get sick, not saying you will, just be prepared. Been there 6 times and got sick nearly every time, bugs are every where, not just the food, on the cuttlery, door handles, tables, water, ice every surface nearly, cannot aviod them, especiall after heavy rains, gets bad.
Good news is that 24 hours later youre back in the game.

*Youll see a few really tall hot thai chicks, big throats and hands though :confused:

I think youll have a blast, I always do.

Mako Tjasnnn :D