• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Holden to end Local Manufacturing by 2017

Why the fuck should I as the tax payer pay for jobs in private enterprise, if the plant is inefficent close the fucking thing.

yep, we may all have to clean houses for $10 an hour one day.

However, truth is we are just not competitive enough, our wages for a start are too high.

Germany does well, high-tech and quality cars. Rich always like the best.

But our cars were not even that innovative for our own market

Last edited:
Why the fuck should I as the tax payer pay for jobs in private enterprise, if the plant is inefficent close the fucking thing.

the other end if the factory closes down there is a shitload of people that are unemployed , the geelong ford plant i remember hearing that for every worker employed at the factory there was an external 3 jobs , it has a massive roll on effect

have seen it first hand in my area with the fruit industry the major fruit company SPC makers of canned fruit , baked beans and spag , they halved their intake which resulted in less people employed at the factor , as pickers , the chemical companies aren't selling as much , so there is a huge roll on of unemployment

what the gov faces is voter backlash and unemployment figures under their term , the headlines will read "unemployment highest under abbot government"

as a tax payer have to stop looking at is propping up the big business but more helping out the bloke on the line

manufacturing, non-food products, is worth over 60% of global merchandise exports.

Good luck to any country wanting to prosper without a viable manufacturing sector.

It can be done, but much harder.

I'm fine with a once off bail out but there comes a time where a business has to sustain itself.

I can see Toyota being next to pull out and everything in the motor inductry will be imported which will mean a heap more indirect jobs then just the Holden factory closing, all the parts manufacturers which currently supply Holden will be gone so you could easily be looking at double or triple the job losses indirectly, jusy think thats 6000 - 9000 people out of a job.

We dropped all protection and floated the dollar since 1983, it's been subsidised for way too long.

We'll be ok.

Our manufacturing has gone to shit, yet we are still in positive economic growth, don't see how this will change anything, if the factories aren't competitive, time to shut up shop.

It's how the real world works.

take away private and growing public debt, and let's see how much growth.

This is the reality facing western countries.

She'll be right is just wishful thinking.

I don't see how Toyota and suppliers will survive either.

Add that to homes becoming less affordable, and I cant see what there is rosy to be about.

I would hate to be a low-skilled worker starting off today.

The only thing stopping a worldwide depression is Quantitative Easing monetary policy by the US, and everyone with a brain knows that it will not be sustained forever.

Last edited:
yes, I am glad we live here, but you still need to produce stuff of value to remain well off.

Selling live cattle and a few agri products is going to achieve jack shit. Gone are the days when wool was worth around half of our exports.

Fact is that subsidies help industries everywhere, albeit freer trade theoretically reduces prices and helps poor nations.

Much of Aust's well being last 20 years has been enhanced by greater household debt, as govt reduced its role for a number of reasons.

But golden days are officially over. For a substantial minority, things are going to get a lot worse.

No easy answers, but this is the reality.

All I say is good luck Aust, if you think exports is the key, and we do, then good luck with no manufacturing. 2011, manufacturing 64.6% of world merchandise exports, fuels and mining 22.5%, and agriculture (including food products) 9.3% (WTO).

Last edited:
No, we have always been isolated.

In terms of manufacturing, in 1950s when we decided not to have an export focused man sector, one of the reasons cited was our isolation.

However, look at finland, Nokia become a big phone brand for a while.

Where were we, Fosters, and now that is gone.

I believe we can remain a great country and be more innovative, but it will be hard.

Australia is slowly becoming like America, great if you're a skilled worker and/or exec as the salaries at the top very much inflate the "average" wage.

Still a whole lot more money overseas though, especially in biotech/any sciences/technology.

yes, that is true. Hopefully we avoid being like the US too much in terms of developing a class that merely works to pay for food and rent.

yes, that is true. Hopefully we avoid being like the US too much in terms of developing a class that merely works to pay for food and rent.

it already happens , there is a great many in the workforce that work to pay for rent and foot

If you add in part time workers, i think Australia's median wage is about 45k, essentially stating that 50% of working Australians are on less than 45,000 per year.

I don't have kids, or spend money on alcohol or cigarettes, and there is no way my wife and i could live the way we do if we earned 90k together. in 2009-2010 the average household wage was 68,000 gross, i think this level of income with kids and a mortgage would put you close to the working for food and rent bracket. I think it will only get worse as unskilled jobs become harder and harder to get.