• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Cigarettes Alternative

aQuilla

Hi guys! So I have a problem with my dad actually. I have been trying to convince him about quitting smoking. He's 65 years old already but still smokes like hell! He had been advised by his doctor to quit smoking a few years back but he only stopped for a week and complained that he craves for nicotine so he began smoking again. I have encouraged him to try e-cigars to no avail. tried it and quit on it saying that there's no nicotined on that piece of s*** (talking about the e-cigar).

I'm concerned about his health as an aging man and lately he mentioned about quitting but don't want to experience that endless crave for nicotine again. So I searched a little about and found this drug that claims kill nicotine craving. Does anyone here actually have heard or probably used this product already? Thanks for reading this lengthy post. Cheers! :)

The doctor prescribed drug worked on me for a while. It makes you ill when you smoke but you soon enough give up the tablets before the smokes. Not sure if its the same drug but the Doctor has to prescribe it. Alot of friends have had some success.

My neighbour is 75yrs and doing well on the Electric cigarettes after a lifetime of smokes. Once she got through 10 days or so she even cut down on the use of that.

Being an ex smoker I have found they usually quit on their own means. If they feel forced they just wont smoke around you to make you think they have quit.

I have had a couple of friends quit, one used Zyban and said it was really good, bu I think he said the main issue was when he got off the Zyban. The other one actually got hypnotised and never touched a smoke again and said initially even the thought of having a cig made her sick and that would be close to 5yr ago now.

Be careful with the prescribed anti smoking drugs. My old man had great success with them (reported some bad dreams but didn't cop many other side effects). My bro in law however went absolutely troppo on em though.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk 2

I have no time for those who talk of quitting with no real intention. If you really want to, there is enough info and support out there to do so. It just takes a bit of will power and backbone to get the job done.

For those that don't quit, lung cancer, emphysema ,strokes and heart attacks usually help them along. Unfortunately, sometimes the point needs to be blunt for people to see it.

HI guys! well yeah I have read much about the nicotine or smoking withdrawal syndrome and I think that was what my dad suffered when he tried to quit smoking a few years ago. I want him to stop smoking but I don't want him to suffer considering his age so I think this drug/medication could help. Of course we will have to seek professional advise about this first for pure safety. :D

Last edited:
My dad stopped from one minute to the next , once he decided to no longer smoke he put out his last cigarette and over 20 years later never had another one.

He must want to do it, otherwise no point.

i smoked from 14-18, For me it got to a point of they just disgusted me and taking a drag would make me gag.

Now i cant even stand the smell let alone think to have one. The thought makes me sick.

Somethings needs to click and the person must do it for them self

My dad was a heavy drinker and smoker, Woke up one day after the doctor tellign him to wake up (over 30 yrs ago) and NEVER touched another smoke or drink again, to the point ive never seen my dad even have a sip of beer.

im going to go against the trend here and ask what you really think quitting is going to achieve for him? At his age im guessing he has probably been smoking for 40 years or more, the damage he has already done wont be reversed by quitting now. As others have said, if he doesnt genuinely want to quit then no amount of persuasion or medication is going to help.

At 65, why take away something he probably enjoys if he doesn't want to and isnt going to get any benefit from doing so?

Note: I hate smoking. I think its a disgusting habit and wish the government could see past the revenue it generates to make a genuine effort to stamp it out. In the case of your dad though, I think you would achieve alot more for his health and general wellbeing by getting him more active.

Let me know how you go, got the same problem with my old man, his logic is "live like pig, good and short".
Took him to the doctor, he put him on Zyoban, but the old man reckons the stuff is too strong, gives him anxiety and he reckons he's better off smoking.

When i was in the states, every second yank had one of those electric/steam? ciggies hanging out of his gob, might try buying him that, see how he goes.

Let me know how you go, got the same problem with my old man, his logic is "live like pig, good and short".
Took him to the doctor, he put him on Zyoban, but the old man reckons the stuff is too strong, gives him anxiety and he reckons he's better off smoking.

When i was in the states, every second yank had one of those electric/steam? ciggies hanging out of his gob, might try buying him that, see how he goes.

I think you are referring to e-cigars? Well I had my dad tried that a few years back but he didn't really last with it. But this time I'm trying to impose my will again by buying him another. I really hope he'll give it another try. I hate to be on the medical field! Everyone in the family expects me to look out for their health.

im going to go against the trend here and ask what you really think quitting is going to achieve for him? At his age im guessing he has probably been smoking for 40 years or more, the damage he has already done wont be reversed by quitting now. As others have said, if he doesnt genuinely want to quit then no amount of persuasion or medication is going to help.

At 65, why take away something he probably enjoys if he doesn't want to and isnt going to get any benefit from doing so?

Note: I hate smoking. I think its a disgusting habit and wish the government could see past the revenue it generates to make a genuine effort to stamp it out. In the case of your dad though, I think you would achieve alot more for his health and general wellbeing by getting him more active.

Hey I understand you mate and I get your point. If my dad is active and all that, I wouldn't even try to interfere with his smoking. But the problem is that he doesn't do anything that makes him active. What he does all day is sit, watch football on TV and smoke. My issue with this is not just my dad but also the people around him. You see smoking does not only affects the smoker but all the people who get to inhale the smoke.

Its a shit habit!

The sooner we get rid of tobacco the better...

I agree! Reasearches say that if you stop by the age of 40 or less the better because it would take more or less 20 years for our body to clear the damage done by nicotine in our lungs so if we stop by 30 y.o, our lungs will be clear by the age of 50. By that age, we are now in lesser risk of developing COPD which is a killer for smokers.

Patches do work, I'm on em atm. Chemist warehouse is the cheapest I've found, the sell the 2 week packs as well. I wouldn't expect too much tho if he doesn't want to give them up.