• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Meet Greg Glassman, the man behind the CrossFit machine

Admin

Administrator. Graeme
Staff member
HAVEN'T heard of CrossFit? You must have been living under a rock. The fitness empire has exploded to become one of the biggest brands in the industry and gained a cult-like status among followers, renowned for its ridiculously tough workouts and take-no-prisoners attitude.
The brand is expected to rake in more than $100 million in revenue this year, with more than 10,000 CrossFit gyms, known as 'boxes' in the US alone.
But for all the slavish devotion, little is known about the man behind the fitness machine - a 56 year old named Greg Glassman.
Glassman is the son of a scientist and stay-at-home mum who grew up in California, partaking in all sorts of sports from weightlifting to gymnastics, according to a recent Inc profile.
He started personal training but was booted from various gyms for unorthodox techniques, eventually landing a job training police officers in Santa Cruz.
Word of his notoriously tough sessions spread, and he began posting one workout of the day online. CrossFit was born.
Watch an interview with Greg Glassman

Greg Glassman

While CrossFit had gained a huge following, Glassman wanted to do things his own way.
"I'm not going to be told what to do" he said in an interview with Reason TV, adding they "broke free of norms both as a physiological model and as a business model and struck out on our own."
Glassman is the sole owner of the company which has no board of directors. Anyone can start up a CrossFit 'box' with a two-day course to become a certified instructor and an annual affiliation payment.
The boss, known as "Coach" has turned down other sources of revenue in favour of this simplicity and the company makes money from their affiliation deals, training new instructors and registration at the CrossFit games, Inc reports.
The logo is a clown called Uncle Pukie - a regular visitor after tough sessions.
"We're rough edged and authentic and yeah you might puke and we have a clown that pukes and we're putting him on the side of our plane became it makes us laugh," Mr Glassman said.
"It's an active, running, sweating breeding community. The cult of the caveman."

478249-9750d0aa-3ba4-11e3-9bcd-10262b6f8853.jpg

CrossFit has gained a huge following in Australia.

But while it sounds free and easy, Glassman also has a reputation for being fiercely protective of the brand.
There are between 12 and 20 legal firms on alert to pursue cases on behalf of the company, with a database of about 5000 potential infringements on the books, according to Inc .
They also have a take-no-prisoners social media policy which has involved swiftly cutting off a parody Twitter account that made distasteful jokes about the Boston bombing and mobilising supporters when Glassman's ex-wife wanted to sell part of the company to a venture capitalist.
The extreme workouts and two-day training has also come under fire, something Glassman said is part of the deal with CrossFit.
"If you find the notion of falling off the rings and breaking your neck so foreign to you, then we don't want you in our ranks," he reportedly said.
He also doesn't do the workouts himself - something devotees have questioned on the CrossFit message boards.
"Not saying he should be a top level competitor or anything but if you swear by something one would think that you would at least drink your own koolaid," wrote one user.
Despite the criticisms, the juggernaut rolls on.
Peter Hoang runs a CrossFit in Sydney's West and said their members can't get enough.
"I just love everything. It's fun, it's a community, everyone knows each other ... We train as a community and help each other. We don't have mirrors, we don't have anything like that. We just have results."

Meet Greg Glassman, the man behind the CrossFit machine | News.com.au

I like Crossfit did a workout the other day with 150 pullups (kipping) 300 pushups 450 air squats in 30min still recovering

I like all round element, but find some of the tests are bit strange to do, watch, and judge.

There are great crossfit athletes, but their claims to be best athletes in world is ridiculous.

What ever you do don't go I once was a hater, then went to a free session now I'm in the kipping cult lol fuck the paleo though

I like all round element, but find some of the tests are bit strange to do, watch, and judge.

There are great crossfit athletes, but their claims to be best athletes in world is ridiculous.

They aren't claiming to be the best athletes, they are claiming to be the fittest on earth, which I feel would be hard to dispute once you have a decent understanding and definition of fitness.

I like Crossfit did a workout the other day with 150 pullups (kipping) 300 pushups 450 air squats in 30min still recovering

no different then say Australian bench press champion title holder... but under what federation

They aren't claiming to be the best athletes, they are claiming to be the fittest on earth, which I feel would be hard to dispute once you have a decent understanding and definition of fitness.

I've seen another news.com propaganda piece touting fronning as fit as an olympic swimmer. Not much between that and suggesting they're the best athletes in the world.

"Now we've got people doing a hundred pullups! Haha!"

Fucking retards gon tard. :rolleyes:

It reeks of cult, in every way. The saddest thing about it is that no-one involved in it is aware of this.

"Now we've got people doing a hundred pullups! Haha!"

Fucking retards gon tard. :rolleyes:

It reeks of cult, in every way. The saddest thing about it is that no-one involved in it is aware of this.

So what if it is a cult? A cult that gets people off their ass and moving, a cult that has gotten more people than ever before involved in Olympic Lifting...hrrmm, what's their agender?

It's funny, as soon as you mention Crossfit people feel the need to go full retard regarding cults and kipping pull ups...