• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

The Runner's thread; discuss Track and Cross Country, Distance and Sprinting, or just

Admin

Administrator. Graeme
Staff member
The Runner's thread; discuss Track and Cross Country, Distance and Sprinting, or just going for a light jog once in a while!

running a great sport, basic as and man to man (or women to woman). Hardly ever an excuse, and no rules about technique, besides sprinters needing to stay in lanes.

One of the hardest sports of all to be good at, as all countries do it and good facilities mean jack shit.

Doing the Maroubra Beach 'fun run' this weekend. Should be interesting. All the cross training Ive been doing should get me through relatively comfortable. Depends on the heat too I guess..

Doing the Maroubra Beach 'fun run' this weekend. Should be interesting. All the cross training Ive been doing should get me through relatively comfortable. Depends on the heat too I guess..

the words 'fun' and 'run' should never be used in the same sentence let alone next to each other....

the words 'fun' and 'run' should never be used in the same sentence let alone next to each other....

yeh this one is short but tough. The local council set up a fair/carnival type day at the park across from the beach there, so families and friends can have a beer and ride camels etc, while the idiots (me included) run like shit.

running a great sport, basic as and man to man (or women to woman). Hardly ever an excuse, and no rules about technique, besides sprinters needing to stay in lanes.

One of the hardest sports of all to be good at, as all countries do it and good facilities mean jack shit.

I agree. That's why I love track and field, it's sport in its purest form ( Who can run the fastest, jump the longest, jump highest etc).

I'm slowly getting back into my running training. Not pushing it too hard right now, still in recovery mode from spine surgery.

good luck with it.

my best for 5km, long time ago, was 18 minutes on Flemington grass track.

Now I would doubt I could do much better than 25 minutes. Ah, the sadness of declining personal athletic prowess.

good luck with it.

my best for 5km, long time ago, was 18 minutes on Flemington grass track.

Now I would doubt I could do much better than 25 minutes. Ah, the sadness of declining personal athletic prowess.

Thanks mate! My fastest 5km time was 19min 48 sec in my mid 20s (I never been particularly gifted at running, I just really enjoy it).

These days 25min would be an achievement for me :)

I posted this in my training log, but it fits here too:

Just did my first timed 5k at Sydney Park (St Peters) www.parkrun.com.au wearing my Vibram SeeYa LS toe shoes.

Official time to be confirmed but I think it was around the 28 min mark.

Fairly slow, but it's a start and there was a nasty hill in the middle of it (I need to work on hills).

I took out the start too hard, so my 3rd km (after the hill) was slow and my knee was a little sore which I can attribute to muscle fatigue making my barefoot form get sloppy.

The final km I improved and had enough energy at the end for a 200m sprint with a 12 year old.

Had a few chats with people before and after, everyone was really friendly!

I highly recommend going to these events; they are run all over Australia and the world.

yes, Drifter, enjoyment is the bottom line, along with health benefits.

That is what should keep you going. Too many people will not compete because they feel they are not that good.

When I was young, a lot of people would say why do you train so hard for sprints when you don't really have that much talent to reflect your efforts.

Well answer was obviously because I enjoyed doing them, and the challenge of improving in such a difficult event.

This year I will aim to break 26.0 for 200m and maybe 60 seconds for 400m, well behind my bests of 22.5 and 50.4, but I will get such as much enjoyment from hopefully achieving such goals.

I am not sure of you do much leg weights, but strength will help your times, even if you only do walking lunges a couple of times per week at park. Key is to make sure you are fresh for running comps though.

Never enjoyed running distances over 200m. It's not fun and great for injuries but I do it because its the best way I find to get fit for footy.

have now started running to burn away my love handles, was planning to do the park run 5km tomorrow but injured my foot playing squash

I really enjoyed running for fitness, weight loss and stress management and also seeing what times I could get, my most recent best time is 25min for the 5km lol.

I was running 5km every couple of days but slowly stopped doing it as I always ended up with some sort of acute injury ie. crippling shin splints, aches/cramps in my lower back, sore groin just to name a few.

I stretched for a good 10-15 mins before and after each run and had fortnightly massages but never helped the niggling issues, currently doing zero cardio :/

Fewer injuries in barefoot runners?

Really good read on barefoot running.

@bigruff I have the same sorts of issues; my treatment is barefoot running, Physio, Foam rolling, and some physio recommended bodyweight exercises/stretches.

How do you go about barefoot running? on a treadmill or on the footpath?

I have been wanting to buy a foam roller for a while now but theyre around $60 at Rebel Sports so have been putting it off, might be time to invest.

Most recommend starting on soft grass or on the beach.

I started on the pavement in Vibrams.

Just take the first few runs easy (1-2km).

Use the feedback from the road to land with a softer foot strike.

Most recommend starting on soft grass or on the beach.

I started on the pavement in Vibrams.

Just take the first few runs easy (1-2km).

Use the feedback from the road to land with a softer foot strike.

My coach is a massive advocate of bare foot running. We often do a fair bit of it during our sessions. It feels a lot more natural and helps with correcting technique.