• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Low Iron Anemia

catspurr

Have you heard of low iron anemia, but can we have too much iron?

As women, we are used to having our blood checked for iron deficiency anemia at our annual GYN exams. Anemia is common among menstruating women. Maybe you've even taken iron supplements, or added more iron to your diet, just to be sure you're getting enough iron.

But did you know that you can have too much iron in your blood? It's true, it's called having iron overload which, when left untreated can lead to a devastating disease called hemochromatosis.

Have you ever been told you have too much iron in your blood?

I'm amazed there are that many, given some of the crap spouted here. It could do with some balance.

Apologies for off-topic post. Carry on...

I'm amazed there are that many, given some of the crap spouted here. It could do with some balance.

Apologies for off-topic post. Carry on...

Of all the forums I've been apart of over the years all of them only had one or two.
The most being at Drapers, there would be around 10~15?
Laree Draper does a sterling job there.

Hemochromatosis is a genetic inherited (mainly of celtic lineage) disease causing the body to store too much iron. Increased concentrations doesnt cause Hemochromatosis.

Thanks for all the comments here, yeah I shouldn't ask here with only few female members.. obviously only few people can relate to this

Thanks anyway guys! :)

Last edited:
Who actually has experienced a low iron count in their blood?
Lately I have been getting comments about looking a bit pale - usually when I feel like shit, tired, and grumpy, which went on for a few days. Did my research, and took iron supplements. Now I feel heaps better.
Was that a correct self diagnosis do you think, or would this call for a trip to the GP to get my blood tested?
(no, I said GP, not the GYN :D)

When you pull your lower eyelids down they should be fleshy red. Very pale/white is a good indicator of possible low iron. Saw it on a tv show.

if you have low energy go get a blood test they will either just do a full blood count which will give them your Haemoglobin (hb), haematocrit, mcv, mchc, and red cell count, if these indicate a possible low iron or anaemia they will do iron studies, which will include total iron binding capacity and ferratin, levels, as a side they tend to couple this with a b12 and red cell folate.

if your Hb and haematocrit level is really high this may indicate a possible haemochomatosis, after two episodes oh high hb they can do a haemochromatosis gene test, usually you will already know because you wil have a mum or dad, or sibling who also has it..

The whole women are anaemic because of periods is just a lame excuse for not getting enough iron, red meat, and green leafy vegies etc in your diet..unless of course you are loosing a litre or so every month, which would be a severe medical condition, typically the 30-100ml of material your body passes wont do squat to your blood levels...just eat a proper diet..

Looking at the skin, gums and nail beds if they appear pale can tell that you have low iron anemia.

Last edited:
I asked my dad who is a GP as I've seen this thread pop up for a while now
You CAN have too much iron but unless you're drinking blood or taking an iron supplement it's unlikely to happen.
Red meat is the best thing here. It contains all the iron you need for the day in a single portion. A 1lb steak contains 50% of your iron but also all that iron transporters that are needed for full absorption. So you get more out of less. The rest you can get by spicing your foods. Tumeric, cumin and thyme are best here. When you're menstruating take your multivitamin with your steak and you're set!

Have you heard of low iron anemia, but can we have too much iron?

As women, we are used to having our blood checked for iron deficiency anemia at our annual GYN exams. Anemia is common among menstruating women. Maybe you've even taken iron supplements, or added more iron to your diet, just to be sure you're getting enough iron.

But did you know that you can have too much iron in your blood? It's true, it's called having iron overload which, when left untreated can lead to a devastating disease called hemochromatosis.

Have you ever been told you have too much iron in your blood?

Haemochromatosis is actually hereditary and tends to favour people with celtic heritage.
It's not due to ingesting too much iron but an inherited inability of the body to process and clear iron from the bloodstream.

There are simple blood tests to diagnose the disease.
It can affect both men and women but for women prone to the disease, it tends to appear later in life as menstruation tends to clear iron from the body prior to menopause.

I was anaemic most of my life with very low ferritin stores (despite occasional normal haemoglobin counts ... ferritin stores are important to test for). I also had extremely low B12
Both of these were due to having menorrhagia and insufficient iron in my diet to compensate ... even taking iron supplements wasn't enough, nor was a decent dairy intake for the B12.
Ditched being a veggie. Wham bam, I'm 100% all good.
Slaps forehead.

Last edited:
I have thalassaemia minor, so I have permanent microcytic aenemia. My MCV count last blood test was something ridiculous like 40 fL (low is considered to be below 80).

And it can't be fixed with dietary iron and in fact liver damage from iron overhead is a serious risk for me.

On the plus side, I am protected from malaria, so yay.

Haemochromatosis is actually hereditary and tends to favour people with celtic heritage.
It's not due to ingesting too much iron but an inherited inability of the body to process and clear iron from the bloodstream.

There are simple blood tests to diagnose the disease.
It can affect both men and women but for women prone to the disease, it tends to appear later in life as menstruation tends to clear iron from the body prior to menopause.

This ^^

However, those with Heamochromatosis can manage it by not ingesting too much iron & living a healthy lifestyle. When you eat too much red meat, drinks lots of alcohol etc iron levels in these people will be much higher!
My dad & both my brother have this - I am yet to be tested, however a few years ago I tested low for iron and had to be put on iron supplements to get it up again.

This ^^

However, those with Heamochromatosis can manage it by not ingesting too much iron & living a healthy lifestyle. When you eat too much red meat, drinks lots of alcohol etc iron levels in these people will be much higher!
My dad & both my brother have this - I am yet to be tested, however a few years ago I tested low for iron and had to be put on iron supplements to get it up again.

yep you have to watch your iron intake if you have it, for sure.

can actually mess with your liver quite a bit. My thesis supervisor had it and ended up in hospital after a particularly indulgent professors' lunch one day.
his liver just decided it was all too much.

Luckily, he started to manage his condition rather better after that.

yep you have to watch your iron intake if you have it, for sure.

can actually mess with your liver quite a bit. My thesis supervisor had it and ended up in hospital after a particularly indulgent professors' lunch one day.
his liver just decided it was all too much.

Luckily, he started to manage his condition rather better after that.

My dad is pretty bad - he has to have a pint of blood taken every so often as a way to remove the excess iron. At one stage he was having to get blood taken every week or more!
I will probably get tested soon to see if I have it as well, just as something to be mindful of in future.