• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

2.4km in 12mins or less

Mitch86

Evenin,

I need to get back to being able to run the majority of this after two years trying to fix up shin stress fractures. I was fitted with incorrect orthotics and now have a calf issue but that's a much easier one to fix.

My cardio is what I need to work on. Any suggestions, whether it be HIIT or long distance that doesn't involved too much high impact on my shins?

I am no expert, but my guess would be to run 2.4km if that's what you want to be good at.

2.4km is hardly long distance, and no point running 10km if all you need/want to do is run 2.4km.

Personally if I was going to do this I would do some HIIT sprint training at 100m and 200m, may be 100m x 10 one day followed by 200m x 5 the next, alternating day to day, then run 2.4km once or twice a week.

I am no expert, but my guess would be to run 2.4km if that's what you want to be good at.

2.4km is hardly long distance, and no point running 10km if all you need/want to do is run 2.4km.

Personally if I was going to do this I would do some HIIT sprint training at 100m and 200m, may be 100m x 10 one day followed by 200m x 5 the next, alternating day to day, then run 2.4km once or twice a week.

Mmm, I should have explained the problem better, currently I'm only getting about 7-8mins worth of a run because of my calf (the incorrect orthotic, over the past two years, has essentially shortened my calf's range of movement causing it to tighten/lock up something fierce after too long of use, fixing this atm by a lot of stretching/roller work) so I can't get the 2.4 done in that time yet. I was thinking along the lines of sprintervals too.

Yep sprint intervals, and may be once a week or fortnight go for gold (as far/long as you can) may be followed by a rest day and lots of stretching and repeat, adjust as needed.

If you're having troubles running the 2.4, as suggested I would be working on HiIT stuff like 100, 200, 400, and 800 sprints this will help you boost your cardio so once you get you calves and legs sorted out you will be able to smash the 2.4 no problems, also as mentioned the rower is a great cardio workout with no impact.

If you're having troubles running the 2.4, as suggested I would be working on HiIT stuff like 100, 200, 400, and 800 sprints this will help you boost your cardio so once you get you calves and legs sorted out you will be able to smash the 2.4 no problems, also as mentioned the rower is a great cardio workout with no impact.

Yep, agree with this.

Interval work on a spin bike is a ripper also. Fairly low impact and will help condition the legs. Tabata intervals are a favourite, and I also love doing 60 second intervals and using a decreasing pyramid for the rest intervals (start at 90 seconds and reduce rest times down to 30 seconds as you progress).

Running wise, you can't beat 100, 200 & 400m sprint repeats or hill work IMO.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk 2

Get your calf sorted first. If you run on it, it can get worse or affect the way you run, which in turn can affect your knees, hips and/or back...
Stretch and self massage every night. Ice after workouts and heat before a night time stretch/massage. [MENTION=8606]Neddysmith[/MENTION]; speaks the truth in working at those distances before hitting anything over 800m...

2.4km's hey? Sounds exactly like the Army's BFA.

I struggled with 2.4km's in 10 minutes 19 seconds, even though i could run it in 9 or less ANYWHERE else. In short it was a big psycological issue.

I learnt that running in different areas over different terrains sure helped a lot so you may want to think about that too.