• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

CrossFit athlete Rich Froning is world's fittest man

Admin

Administrator. Graeme
Staff member
607057-c5d417b0-f2a3-11e2-86b2-db7941f3673f.jpg

He eats those rings for breakfast after his workout.

THE world's fittest man is not a boxer, cyclist or a marathon runner. He doesn't play professional sport of any kind, and you've likely never heard of him.

He also eats too much peanut butter and drinks a whole lot of milk.
The world's fittest man is Rich Froning and this week he's putting his title on the line.

Froning is a professional CrossFit athlete. CrossFit is an exercise program which is a mixture of aerobic fitness and weight lifting. It is practised in more than 6000 gyms worldwide and the fad has well and truly caught on here, with CrossFit taking off in larger Australian cities.
CrossFit Workouts are short and intense and has a jargon all to itself.
For example, gyms aren't gyms. They're "boxes". Workouts aren't workouts. They're WODs (Workout of the Day). The acronym is a reference to the fact that the workout always changes. Indeed, participants often don't know what they're in for when they turn up.
A CrossFit staple is the Filthy 50, a brutal series of taxing exercises conveying the madness of CrossFit.
The circuit includes 50 repetitions of 10 different exercises, all done as quickly as possible. Do 50 Box jumps, with a 60cm/45cm box, 50 jumping pull-ups, 50 kettlebell swings 16kg, 50 walking lunge steps, 50 knees to elbows, 50 push press of 20kg, 50 back extensions, 50 wallballs using a 9kg/7kg ball, 50 burpees (dropping all the way to the floor), 50 double unders.
Apart from being an excellent all-round fitness regime, CrossFit is said to be great for people seeking to apply it to their daily jobs - such as cops, fireys and so on.
Indeed, Froning was working as a firefighter when he got interested. He has since gone on to be a motivational speaker, author and more.
So how fit is he? Well. He can deadlift 240 kilos, squat 190, bench 150, clean and jerk 150 and snatch 120. He's also said to be as aerobically fit as an Olympic swimmer.
But CrossFit fitness isn't one of the things you can easily measure. True to CrossFit principles, the "Fittest Man on Earth" title, which is up for grabs each year at the CrossFit Games, is decided on a range of challenges which competitors only find out about shortly before the event.
Hard work got Froning where he is. But like many American athletes, he credits a higher source.
"Christ is the reason for everything and that's what I need to be living for," he told US website theblaze.com.
When most athletes credit religion for their success, they can come across as preachy or boastful. Not Froning, who is refreshingly upfront about the role his devotion plays in his success and even his occasional failures.
"May I never boast except in the cross of our Lord Jesus Christ, through which the world has been crucified to me, and I to the world," he told TheBlaze.
"For me, that's really how it is. It doesn't matter what I've done. When I retire or when I walk away from competing from CrossFit, I won't have it anymore [but] Christ will always be there."
What do you think? Have you tried CrossFit? Fad or revolution? Comment below.
And can you think of anyone fitter than Rich Froning, whose workout stats are here?

He's in good nick, thats for sure.
I hope Chad Mckay takes him this time...

No chance, Froning is on a different level.

In other news, I recently discovered a flaw with the selection process for this competition. Each region has X amount of spots up for grabs. If you don't make the spot in your region, you don't get a go. Some regions are tougher than others. A few weeks ago I got to see the data of where the regional place getters finished on a world wide scale. A guy that finished 8th overall in the world didn't qualify for the games due to the quality of competitors in his region. Compare that to our top Aussie in 17th spot overall. Surely the guy that finished 8th in world would have a better shot at being crowned the fittest on earth over the guy that finished 17th, yet he isn't even at the games...

Just saw the third workout is a 1/2 marathon on the C2 rower with the first 2000m also being a scored event. I cringe at the thought of a 21km row, never mind going balls to wall for the first 2km and then trying to finish the other 19km!!

Second event is 10 x swim 50m + 3 bar muscle ups

First event is 600m run (up and down hill and stairs) + 25 overhead squats at about 70kgs x 5 rounds

Just saw the third workout is a 1/2 marathon on the C2 rower with the first 2000m also being a scored event. I cringe at the thought of a 21km row, never mind going balls to wall for the first 2km and then trying to finish the other 19km!!

Second event is 10 x swim 50m + 3 bar muscle ups

First event is 600m run (up and down hill and stairs) + 25 overhead squats at about 70kgs x 5 rounds

Ouch!

Geez, winning time for half marathon row was 6:21 for the first 2km and 1hr 18mins overall. Jason Kalipha won both events. Impressive impressive results! That's basically 1:35 pace per 500m for the first 2km!

Last time I checked Chad was in 6th place AHEAD of Froning!

Good times! Yeh Chad has been smashing himself so hard for this one. Even after his shoulder recon it hasn't slowed him down. His dad was my dads best man at my parents wedding. Top bloke, he deserves the best

Cool, I can't do that. Peanut makes me puke and I don't know why, anyway, he deserved it. Congratulations to him! He's a good one.

Was discussing this with some guys at work today and I don't think there is a better test of fitness out there. You can't compare a tour cyclists to the best rock climber, it is just to different. I think they have a legit claim to the fittest on earth.

Thoughts?

Was discussing this with some guys at work today and I don't think there is a better test of fitness out there. You can't compare a tour cyclists to the best rock climber, it is just to different. I think they have a legit claim to the fittest on earth.

Thoughts?

That's a good question.

It's sort of up there with strongman I think.