• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Good, Bad and Ugly - a Video explaining our testing kits, now available

Bulk Nutrients

Site Advertiser
After having the many lab tests done recently and discovering there were many under dosed proteins on the market, we wondered if there was any way in which the public could easily conduct a test themselves, verifying their protein.

Lab tests are expensive and fussy, so most people don't bother with them, although we strongly recommend they do.

Unfortunately protein testing at home is very difficult, however there is a simple test for carbohydrates, using a long established reagent - "Benedict's Reagent".
Basically, this liquid reacts with any sugars present, lactose, fructose, glucose etc, with a clear colour change evident when sugars are in a product.

Now, given that all popular WPC and particularly WPI's are so low in carbohydrates and sugars, if a scaled test is done then there should be absolutely minimal colour change, if any, that occurs.
These products have virtually no carbohydrates, particularly WPI.

In this test we have designed (using different levels of reagent) when 1 - 1.2 grams of protein is used, there will be no reaction unless sugars are very high.

As you can see from the test, even with sugars at around 20% (200mg sugar 1000mg of WPI), very little reaction occurs, and it in fact takes skim milk powder (which is approx 50% carbs) or a 50/50 blend of dextrose and WPI to give a significant orange colour.

The last video is the most interesting. At 93% "claimed protein", with less than .5% of carbohydrates, there is absolutely no reason why there should be any colour change.
It all makes sense when you realise the "protein" tested at 42% though, obviously in this product a cheap filler has been used (high in carbohydrates), which is why a large colour change occurs.

To organise your own kit free of charge, please email us at proteintestingkit@bulknutrients.com.au and we will have one expressed to you.

Video presentation:
Pleas note - for the PDF files in this link below, be sure to "right click / save as" to view the file better/clearer rather than a simple left click.

The good, the bad, and the ugly

Sorry if this is a stupid question but 'very little colour change' - the thing went from light blue to jet black? Seemed like a big colour change.

Sorry if this is a stupid question but 'very little colour change' - the thing went from light blue to jet black? Seemed like a big colour change.

Apologies if it wasn't made clear - "jet black" is the starting point (from when the substance makes contact with the light blue).

[MENTION=10497]Bulk Nutrients[/MENTION]; this kit can also be used on BN products. Dispelling the myth that BN are pointing the finger at everyone else without looking at their own products?

@Bulk Nutrients; this kit can also be used on BN products. Dispelling the myth that BN are pointing the finger at everyone else without looking at their own products?

You are welcome to use it on any whey protein powders, ours included.
It is not the be all, end all in testing as we mention, we still encourage lab testing to determine the actual protein percentages of your "whey" but at least this is a start, and - free. There should be no colour change from that dark black for any pure WPI and WPC.

This has got to be costing BN a fortune:

1. Market share lost due to companies selling dodgy protein and therefore stealing customers.
2. Wages and Professional fees paid out to get this message out there over the past few months and to defend against recent attacks from other companies.
3. Now a Testing Kit being provided to help keep the competition honest.

etc. etc.

:eek:

L.P.S how come you are the bulk nutrients fan boy at the moment. Its starting to seem a bit suss.

L.P.S how come you are the bulk nutrients fan boy at the moment. Its starting to seem a bit suss.
missed this post. Coz I reckon their right and getting a bit of a rough deal on here.

.......... yes I didn't miss the non quoting/alerting, amusing. I have reached a philosophical level of Zen where no amount of baiting me will work. Try your best but I have my chukra (or whatever da fuck their called) aligned. I am at peace with the World.

Tested a company's protein.
Came back completely orangey.

Thought it was because of the fact i maybe added too much protein, so i went and bought some scales and did the suggested amount.

1 -1.5 grams of powder.
There was no difference in coloration what so ever.

IMAG0338.jpg

Happy to list the company and more details if a mod consents it.
Any wise just PM me.

Thought it was because of the fact i maybe added too much protein, so i went and bought some scales and did the suggested amount.

1 -1.5 grams of powder.

IMAG0338.jpg

Any wise just PM me.

Just post it. Any others have been. Otherwise Pm me.

1 -1.5 grams of powder.

IMAG0338.jpg

Any wise just PM me.

Yep, out with it, no legal repercussions if it is true, you have the protein powder and the done the test, so just post up where it came from, brand, batch, date obtained etc.

Certainly put the it out there if it is showing up as dodgey, as Big Mick and others have already done...

Also, remember we should also be putting up companies who products have passed the tests so others can give their hard earned to these companies instead of being ripped off...

Since a lot of people have been asking for BN testing I've asked for two more test kits and will be testing Banana WPC and Choc Mint WPC both purchased before this whole scandal errupted from BN. Hopefully receive the test kits tomorrow.

Purchased in mid December.
Power nutrients.
From protein n more.
Was acknowledged that there was a bad batch by the company.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 2

Purchased in mid December.
Power nutrients.
From protein n more.
Was acknowledged that there was a bad batch by the company.

When/ how did they acknowledge this? They haven't responded to my email yet

I'll post something soon. Just need to upload videos n such