• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Fish oil supplements increase prostate cancer risk, says study

S

Stiffy

Another study finds link between Fish Oil supps and Prostate cancer (can't find study free of charge yet).

Fish oil supplements increase prostate cancer risk, says study

Men who take fish oil supplements or eat fatty fish may be more likely to contract prostate cancer, an international study has found.
The research reported a 71 per cent increased risk of prostate cancer among men who consume omega-3s, fatty acids regularly extolled for their health benefits.
Lead author Alan Kristal, of the Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Centre in Seattle, said the study reinforced that nutritional supplements may be harmful.
Scientists cannot explain the connection, but findings indicate omega-3s are involved in the formation of tumours.

Read more: Fish Oil Linked To Cancer In New Study

and so should be taken with a grain of salt... sprinkled in a tablespoon of fish oil.

It's one study, a piece of the puzzle. You dont often get conclusive results from just one study. They do more research and then see if the result is repeatable and hypothesize a logical reason for the results and yes they should be published. Saying otherwise is stupid. This is how our scientific knowledge progresses.

It does question the mega dose amounts of fish oil some people suggest though, which never really had a solid reason for anyway.

Plasma Phospholipid Fatty Acids and Prostate Cancer Risk in the SELECT Trial

1. Theodore M. Brasky,
  2. Amy K. Darke,
  3. Xiaoling Song,
  4. Catherine M. Tangen,
  5. Phyllis J. Goodman,
  6. Ian M. Thompson,
  7. Frank L. Meyskens Jr,
  8. Gary E. Goodman,
  9. Lori M. Minasian,
  10. Howard L. Parnes,
  11. Eric A. Klein and
  12. Alan R. Kristal
Abstract

Background Studies of dietary ω-3 fatty acid intake and prostate cancer risk are inconsistent; however, recent large prospective studies have found increased risk of prostate cancer among men with high blood concentrations of long-chain ω-3 polyunsaturated fatty acids ([LCω-3PUFA] 20:5ω3; 22:5ω3; 22:6ω3]. This case–cohort study examines associations between plasma phospholipid fatty acids and prostate cancer risk among participants in the Selenium and Vitamin E Cancer Prevention Trial.

Methods Case subjects were 834 men diagnosed with prostate cancer, of which 156 had high-grade cancer. The subcohort consisted of 1393 men selected randomly at baseline and from within strata frequency matched to case subjects on age and race. Proportional hazards models estimated hazard ratios (HR) and 95% confidence intervals (CI) for associations between fatty acids and prostate cancer risk overall and by grade. All statistical tests were two-sided.

Results Compared with men in the lowest quartiles of LCω-3PUFA, men in the highest quartile had increased risks for low-grade (HR = 1.44, 95% CI = 1.08 to 1.93), high-grade (HR = 1.71, 95% CI = 1.00 to 2.94), and total prostate cancer (HR = 1.43, 95% CI = 1.09 to 1.88). Associations were similar for individual long-chain ω-3 fatty acids. Higher linoleic acid (ω-6) was associated with reduced risks of low-grade (HR = 0.75, 95% CI = 0.56 to 0.99) and total prostate cancer (HR = 0.77, 95% CI = 0.59 to 1.01); however, there was no dose response.

Conclusions This study confirms previous reports of increased prostate cancer risk among men with high blood concentrations of LCω-3PUFA. The consistency of these findings suggests that these fatty acids are involved in prostate tumorigenesis. Recommendations to increase LCω-3PUFA intake should consider its potential risks.

Plasma Phospholipid Fatty Acids and Prostate Cancer Risk in the SELECT Trial

Interesting, I have read previously that omega 6 fats enhance cancers somehow and omega 3s help to destroy cancer cells. This one is saying the exact opposite for prostate cancer.

Looks like more margarine and less fish oil for me. haha Then I'll just die from some other kind of cancer.

fish oil is quickly oxidated in the body cause oxidative stress, a long with the other "healthy" oils.
coconut oil ftw.

ill post up some good research regarding unsayurated oils and just how bad tgey are.

and tolga, we dont kniw the mechanism of how certain factirs cause many diseases, hence why further study is required, but you cant deny statistical links.

what about the rest of the diet the study participants were on ?
How much red meat ,beer and processed food ?

any Japanese studies on fish oils to compare it to ?

But if you don't have fish oil you are more likely to die from heart problems. :confused:

So take your chances I guess, everyone needs to make up their own mind, for me I will stick with fish oil for now, as I have a long family history of heart disease..l.

Funny you should say that, was thinking the same thing, and how much difference it makes. I don't eat a lot of fish, and hence use the fish oil tablets, one of the few supplements I still use, as well as a multi vitamin. Nothing else at the moment.

Also had fish for dinner today one of the few times I ate fish, I probably only eat fish once very few weeks. Not a fan of it generally.

Think I heard Channel 9 said the Cancer Council still recommends 500mg of Fish Oil per day, no more no less.

500mg, Kunce in here are taking over 10g aren't they?