• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

How do you pick a PT

chopsuey

I'm considering competing - maybe next year, and even though I am a PT myself I know little about bodybuilding so I thought it'd be wise to look to getting a PT - mainly to set up the program, adjust when needed etc.

I've been looking at those who've competed before etc. Some are expensive and I can see the cash grab in their sales techniques justifying it by a myriad of titles and a 'brand', others are down to earth, have a title or 3 and aren't as expensive.

How many others have a PT?

I'm interested to hear how you picked one?

Look for a; squatologist.

Ask them to show how they squat.

If they can squat deep for reps with bodyweight hire them.

Personally I don't know what their squat has to do with how well they can coach bodybuilding?

I'm not sure I'd be looking at their own titles as well.

Don't be fooled into thinking that a great athlete is also a great coach. 20 years ago when I played rep basketball our coach had a rule that he would never let us see him play. Why? Because he was shit, and if we saw that, we would lose faith in him as a coach. Yet he was a still a great coach and we were undefeated.

I'm not saying great athletes can't be great coaches, just that great coaches don't have to be great athletes.

I'd be more inclined to look at who they coach and the results they have achieved, ask around about them, google them, gather as much information as you can.

Personally I don't know what their squat has to do with how well they can coach bodybuilding?

I'm not sure I'd be looking at their own titles as well.

Don't be fooled into thinking that a great athlete is also a great coach. 20 years ago when I played rep basketball our coach had a rule that he would never let us see him play. Why? Because he was shit, and if we saw that, we would lose faith in him as a coach. Yet he was a still a great coach and we were undefeated.

I'm not saying great athletes can't be great coaches, just that great coaches don't have to be great athletes.

I'd be more inclined to look at who they coach and the results they have achieved, ask around about them, google them, gather as much information as you can.

Agree to a point. You don't always have to be a great athlete to be a great coach.

But as a coach you would assume they have an interest in lifting, so if they cannot even coach or program themselves to a half decent squat how likely are they going to be able to coach others well.

Knowledge (practical and theory) and the ability to motivate.

I don't believe a bb coach necessarily has to be massive and certainly doesn't need a bibliography of competition victories to be a good coach.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk 2

I really can't see you, a PT, getting a PT and following what they say.
You'll always be second guessing their programming etc.

Unless you can take your PT hat off it won't work.

Besides, I thought bodybuilding program was a well travelled path.
and that the diet and timing side of it was more important..
in which case I can't see how a PT is of any use.

Agree to a point. You don't always have to be a great athlete to be a great coach.

But as a coach you would assume they have an interest in lifting, so if they cannot even coach or program themselves to a half decent squat how likely are they going to be able to coach others well.

Good point.^

I would ask them about meal frequency and if they know what a macronutrient is. If answer is "you have to eat every 3 hrs to stoke the metabolic fire and macros don't count, eating 'clean' gets results"....then run for your life.

Sussinct.

Of course you would assume they have an interest in the field that they coach in, otherwise they probably wouldn't be in that position. I still would be basing my decision on using them soley on their squat for a body building goal

Of course you would assume they have an interest in the field that they coach in, otherwise they probably wouldn't be in that position. I still would be basing my decision on using them soley on their squat for a body building goal

It would be an important question in the interview process.

I would look for a PT that has either a background in competitive bodybuilding or at least a strong interest in bodybuilding. Chances are if you hire a PT that has a background in boxing you'll be doing some boxing at some stage etc etc.

Ask plenty of questions before hiring and don't purchase any "Bulk sessions" up front.

I agree with that [MENTION=6698]TTT[/MENTION]; said about you having to take your PT hat off, what [MENTION=15053]Camo1902[/MENTION]; said about knowledge and motivation and DEFINITELY with what [MENTION=14031]M@YHEM[/MENTION]; mentioned about macros.

All very good points and should be taken into consideration especially if your looking to compete - the last thing you want to do is be shelling out your hard earned cash to someone who doesn't have the knowledge or tools in their PT toolbox to get you to comp ready.

Hope this helps :)

Just a thought, if you find someone who is a PT and also a registered Strength & Conditioning Coach through ASCA (as opposed to a PT who only holds a Cert 4 in Fitness) you may get someone better suited to your needs.

If you are a PT, wouldn't you know other PT friends or train amongst the men in the "Man Pit"? I learnt most my shit from the Man Pitt.....?
:confused:

Yep, I definitely have one guy in mind - from the 'man pitt' Kaz ;-)

And he certainly has checked many of the points you raise!

Think you guys have helped me decide :)

Just flutter your eyelashes and ask why his muscles are so big. ;)
He won't stop talking about himself :D

Just flutter your eyelashes and ask why his muscles are so big. ;)
He won't stop talking about himself :D

That works and I would go one step further and grab a feel of the muscle, give them a nice squeeze.
Get too it [MENTION=16145]fatchicslim[/MENTION];

That works and I would go one step further and grab a feel of the muscle, give them a nice squeeze.
Get too it [MENTION=16145]fatchicslim[/MENTION];

Hand him weights while he rabbles off some random routines he learnt when reading about the fitness models in magazines.