• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Not feeling DOM's

chopsuey

I love to feel DOM's....but I rarely experience them.

I'm trying to follow a program which is a 2 day split (lower / upper) which I do twice each week with cardio in between.

I've increased weights to the point I can barely get 4 reps, worked to fatigue with including warm up sets and I'm still not having much luck unless I switch in a new exercise (e.g I switched my walking lunges with weights to a single legged lunge and I felt that....once!).

What am I doing wrong? Would a 4 day split be better suited?

Seriously don't worry about DOM's. if you are progressing each workout and your form is good the rest will take care of itself.
Are your goals primarily strength or muscle building?

Seriously don't worry about DOM's. if you are progressing each workout and your form is good the rest will take care of itself.
Are your goals primarily strength or muscle building?

I rikey rot you say.

But this; "Are your goals primarily strength or muscle building?"

Same thing?

Not same thing.
Some people wanting to gain strength do not care about body composition as long as the strength is increasing. Some, like myself, do care about body comp even if strength does not increase significantly.

Not same thing.
Some people wanting to gain strength do not care about body composition as long as the strength is increasing. Some, like myself, do care about body comp even if strength does not increase significantly.

Okeedokee, well said.

But would you agree that if a muscle grows it is getting stronger also?
Or, that a bigger muscle a stronger muscle?

Yes I agree that when muscle grows you get stronger but progress it measured by body comp not by numbers. ;)

Try dropping the weight and increasing reps, unless your aim is strength.

Even up it to 20-30 reps with good form, or pick a weight you can just do 10 reps with and do 20 reps, guarantee you will have the doms you so desire. :)

I'm looking to build muscle :).

Also, I was wondering how often would you recommend changing up a routine eg a few weeks / months / never?

My husband changes his routine daily, he just focuses upper or lower and smashes the 'area' by using different exercises.

I've been given a set of 4 leg exercises (squats, lunges, extensions and curls) and 7 (pull downs, chest press, cable row, side raise, tricep push down, shoulder press and bicep curls) for the upper body. Which I do twice weekly and have stuck with it for a fortnight now. I've been keeping a diary and am generally lifting heavier for 80% of the exercises. Good to keep sticking with this for a bit longer?

Thanks for your quick responses guys!

If you're making progress on a particular routine just stick with it.
After a few month you can change just to keep variety in your workouts.
I wouldn't change daily.

Whatever works for you, I prefer to have a routine and run it for a few months, then change it once I get bored. No need to change it.

For building muscle may be try the beginners program on this site or may be Arnold's Golden 6 routine (google it).

Stick with that for about six months and see how you go.

It all works as long as you train hard and push yourself and train consistently.