• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

CrossFit craze batters Aussie devotees

Admin

Administrator. Graeme
Staff member
IT'S the latest fitness craze encouraging people to push their bodies to the extreme - with some men and women posting pictures of their bleeding and battered bodies as badges of honour on social-networking sites. Typically consisting of a hardcore 30-minute training session, the new "shock till you drop" CrossFit regime is all about using a combination of resistance, sprints, ropes, tyres, weights and rings.
And while CrossFit may seem too intense for people other than gym junkies and elite athletes, participation levels are on the rise, with almost 8000 people registered to compete for the Open Games this year.
World CrossFit Games competitor Chad Mackay, ranked second in Australia, said both men and women were giving the sport a go because of its focus on complete fitness.
"Working out is no longer about pumping up the mirror muscles," he said. "There's 10 domains of fitness that we work on coordination, balance, flexibility, endurance, stamina, strength, power, speed, agility and accuracy and we aim to eliminate any weaknesses.
"We want to be well rounded in all of those domains, not just really good at bench pressing or doing bicep curls."
Mackay, who will be running an open class at his CrossFit Active gym in Artarmon next Sunday, said it is often misinterpreted as only for elite athletes or fitness addicts.

"Anyone from age 15 to 95 can take part in CrossFit. Instead of jumping on a box, we might get you to jump across a line and back again. Instead of being made to do a pull up, we might get you on the rings doing a supported ring row. The sport is really scalable for any kind of ability. Everyone sees the hardcore stuff on the internet and they get a worried but there is something for everybody."
For Harriet Roberts, 21, more pain means more gain.
"I used to be a gymnast and competitive swimmer," she said. "I love competing and I heard about how much CrossFit hurt and how horrible it was but that is what competing is about, pushing yourself as hard as you can. When I stopped doing sport and stopped competing I needed something. I tried other sports but nothing hurt like this. Now it's like my drug."
She, along with friend Courtney Fitzharris, said the sport was also about breaking down the stereotypes that girls need to be skinny.
"Strong is the new skinny," Ms Roberts said. "I would rather be strong than skinny."
Trainer Luke Starr said there was also the community aspect which was attracting more people to the sport every year. "We train together as a group rather than just walking into a gym and plugging in your headphones and doing your own thing," he said.

Crossfit new??? Lol. It must have been around for about 10 years now.

While a lot of the shit they do is fucking retarded after watching some of the crossfit games on foxtel there are some bloody impressive athletes there.

You have to admit though, thanks to crossfit, there are some fucking hot women around....

Of course, if it doesn't hurt, it's not doing you good. That's a bit tarded, no?

I really dislike the whole "strong is the new skinny".
Most women interpret that as "skinny but with abs".
not a win.

I did Crossfit for about 5years, at the time I loved it, thought it was awesome, made me feel "elite". I still coach Crossfit classes (for free I might add), but I think it's stupid. Why? Because Crossfitters make it stupid.

My biggest hate about crossfit is the people. If someone does crossfit you're gonna know about it lol. That and kipping, so stupid to watch. That being said there are some beasts that do it. And I have a few friends who started and are now fucking strong.

But the places they go to are steering away from traditional non structured crossfit to a more structured strength and conditioning program.

Sent from my HTC_PN071 using Tapatalk 2

My biggest hate about crossfit is the people. If someone does crossfit you're gonna know about it lol. That and kipping, so stupid to watch. That being said there are some beasts that do it. And I have a few friends who started and are now fucking strong.

But the places they go to are steering away from traditional non structured crossfit to a more structured strength and conditioning program.

same can be said for someone that hits the gym , if they hit the gym you are going to know about it " i can squat bench and deadlift like a mofo "

Yeah I guess you're right, fair enough if they can squat and bench like a mofo, see so much BS on fb lol latest was a guy from ny old school doing quarter rep leg press with light ass weight

The physios love the extra work the cross fitters are giving them.

If it helps people stay fit and not be fat tards, does it really matter what exercise they do ?

Last edited:
I can't remember off the top of my head but in Supple Leopard book, Kelly Starett, had a valid reason re either shoulder stability or thoracic extension as to why someone would practice kipping. I'm still not doing it though haha.

I find it hard to believe there would be any benefit to performing kipping pullups the way I see them done by crossfitters lol - nor do I believe any of them are doing it for any benefit other than being able to claim more reps than they would otherwise get :p

Interesting though that he would endorse kipping - I'm sure I watched a video a while back of his in which he was demonstrating how to do pullups "correctly" and there was definitely no kipping.

I can't remember off the top of my head but in Supple Leopard book, Kelly Starett, had a valid reason re either shoulder stability or thoracic extension as to why someone would practice kipping. I'm still not doing it though haha.

Although I too wouldn't practice kipping, that book is very good, has helped be tremendously.

Kipping is just a movement, no one is claiming a kip is equal to a strict pull up. In a "sport" where every rep counts you need to get as much work done as possible as fast as possible. A kip allows the most efficient movement for going from full extension to chin over or chest to bar. Think of it like a press vs a push press vs a push jerk/split jerk. All are different movements, just is a strict pull up vs kipping pull up. You don't have to kip, but it is allowed, and more efficient, so why wouldn't you?

Same argument could be given to power lifters who shorten their ROM with huge arches...as an exercise, full range presses might give more benefit?

All are different movements, just is a strict pull up vs kipping pull up. You don't have to kip, but it is allowed, and more efficient, so why wouldn't you?

Because of the propensity of kipping pullups to result in debilitating shoulder injuries (specficially SLAP tears). It's only a more efficient movement if you are trying to do as many chins as you can in the shortest time possible. If it puts you out of action for 6 months while you rehab your shoulder, you might not think it's so efficient.

Because of the propensity of kipping pullups to result in debilitating shoulder injuries (specficially SLAP tears). It's only a more efficient movement if you are trying to do as many chins as you can in the shortest time possible. If it puts you out of action for 6 months while you rehab your shoulder, you might not think it's so efficient.

It's only a more efficient movement if you are trying to do as many chins as you can in the shortest time possible. If that doesn't equal efficiency then maybe I don't understand the meaning of the word...

If injury is the case I'd argue that you aren't performing the movement correctly. But to argue that I'd need more information.

It's like the guy that hurts his back deadlifting with poor form, then tells everyone not to deadlift cause its bad for your back. Or the guy that hurts his knee squating full depth and then tells everyone not to go full depth cause its bad for your knees...

Last edited: