• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Weightlifter Daniel Koum sues over blackmail claim

Admin

Administrator. Graeme
Staff member
AUSTRALIAN weightlifter Daniel Koum, who was sensationally branded a blackmailer in the lead-up to last year's London Olympics, is suing the former Australian weightlifting coach who accused him. The 27-year-old from Geelong was at the centre of a pre-Olympic storm when coach Michael Keelan said Koum asked for a $5000 pay-off to compete at a vital Olympic qualifying event in Samoa.
Koum, who has denied the allegation, says he suffered injury to his reputation and occupation as an elite athlete, with Keelan's accusations in June last year painting him as "a person of poor integrity".
In a defamation writ lodged in the Supreme Court last week, Koum says he suffered hatred, disrespect, contempt, ridicule and hurt feelings after Keelan first made his claims on Melbourne's Fairfax Radio station 3AW, before repeating them at greater length on ABC radio, with his comments then republished in The Australian online.
Koum says the damages were aggravated because Keelan's comments were unprovoked, reckless and served no purpose other than to vilify him.
His writ alleges Keelan, who was the chief executive of the Australian Weightlifting Federation and a team official and coach at the time, told 3AW's Sports Today program that while in Samoa for the Oceania Weightlifting Championships: "Daniel asked for, immediately, 'If you want me to lift then give us the five grand and then I'll go out there and do the job for Australian weightlifting, but if you don't give it to me then I'm walking out'.
"We gave him the money 45 minutes before he was due to go out on the platform and produce the goods for Australia."
Koum is seeking unspecified damages, interest and costs.
Keelan was sacked shortly after his attack on Koum, but the Australian Olympic Committee denied his public accusations cost him his job.
The Australian Weightlifting Federation had already cleared Keelan of any wrongdoing but earlier this year the Victoria Weightlifting Association asked the matter be referred to the Court of Arbitration for Sport.