• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

throughts about having a cert 4 to train people?

thechosenone

Lately I have had numerous people coming to me asking for help training them, giving them an exercise routine or train them.

All willing to pay me money. Mostly young fellas that want to body build

Now I work a 40-50 hour job a week and with other things in my life I have no time for tafe , nor do I have any interest in doing my cert 4.

These guys are obviously not going to ask for my qualifications, and I doubt any of there young blokes are gonna try and sue me, so I don't see the need for getting a cert 4. Can I apply for a business card to do personal training without the cert 4? may be a dumb question lol.

Thanx

cert 4 is only really needed to get a job in a gym and get insurance, If I start my own business, and risk not having insurance I can still do it right?

You can operate with out insurance, bit doing so would be stupid.

You do not need a certificate to gain insurance.

If they are asking you to train them then you obviously look the part and inspire them. I doubt they'll care about qualifications as long as they know you're not insured/qualified. I'd get them to sign a waiver in the unlikely event something goes wrong.

If they are asking you to train them then you obviously look the part and inspire them. I doubt they'll care about qualifications as long as they know you're not insured/qualified. I'd get them to sign a waiver in the unlikely event something goes wrong.

A waiver usually makes things worse for you if the sjitfight ends in court. It just acknowledges that you knew that you were putting someone into a situation or activity that could cause harm.

Their only really good for saying to people you can't sue me look you signed a wavier, if they get any kind of legal advice that shit can actually bite you onthe arse.

Definietly don't do any business in anything without liability insurance. The shits cheap if you find a decent broker and you can negotiate based on small turnover = low risk.

Get insurance! But you won't be permitted to conduct your business in most (any?) commercial gyms without quals. Despite the fact most certified trainers don't know the first thing about bodybuilding. Please, if you do it, keep the forum informed!

Who will insure someone who hasn't even been qualified in what they are teaching?

I think you will find plenty of companies would.

Especially in a field where there is no specific legislation related to level of qualification in that field.

Its different if the person conducting the business has to have a license under an act like a plumber or sparky otherwise its open slather.

People confuse orgamisational policy (in this case gyms) for actual legislation. One is just some knobs rule the other is law.

Last edited:
So if it's not actual legislation then how can you be sued?

Srs post.

Without crapping on in a 100 line post the difference is all about civil law (damages and shit) and statutory (i think) law, which is actual laws legislations eyc.. I'm no solicitor but have to deal with a fair bit of this type of shit day to day.

Thanks man...
Thats just shit!!

It will probably work out more expensive to have insurance than what it will pay to train a couple of people a week? Possibly break even....

Thanx guys, yer I don't plan on working in a gym or anything. I plan on just training people in my spare time, making there exercise programs, teaching them how to perform the exercises properly, give diet advice towards there goals. So contact a insurance broker, any suggestions?

Public liability and professional indemnity insurance = what you want. Cost will be based on your expected revenue and risk profile, so no way should it be high enough to make the venture no longer worthwhile.

Public liability is about damage/harm caused directly by what you're doing (ie one of your trainees smacks a passing jogger in the head with a dumbell or breaks a park bench when you're training them) while professional indemnity protects you from being sued if people follow your advice and shit goes bad (not 100% sure if this example is correct in this context, but think along the lines of someone trying to sue you because they followed your workout plan and had a heart attack or didn't get the results they were after). These are massive oversimplifications, but close enough to give the general gist..

In this bullshit litigious society we live in, I wouldn't consider running a business like this without insurance.