• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Gaining weight

splendidham

Hi ladies.
I'm not sure if this is the place to be posting but I'll give it a try. My wife is a bit on the slim side. She's about 165-66cm and she claims only 42-43kg. She hasn't weighed herself in years so she's unsure, but by looking at her, I'd say its around the mark. It might come down to genetics s she is asian but a lot of our friends also say she is very very slim. I wouldn't say she looks unhealthy but I think adding some kgs would definitely beneficial.
We live in Japan currently so getting good advice is sometimes hard to come by. I want to introduce her to a weights program but I'd like to get her/our diet down before that.
So what would be a good way to put on 'healthy weight'? She can actually eat quite a bit as it stands and before you ask, no she isn't bulimic. She does have a pretty crazy metabolism though. I don't want her pigging out on French fries, chocolate etc. would there be any supplements that use? If it were me, I'd be supplementing with a weight gainer along with my meals but than, I'm a guy. I really have no idea how to begin to tell the truth so please educate me. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Cue ChocChilli, our smallest member and has slowly gained some good mass, I believe she will have first hand tips :)

Eat more, its not rocket science.

All weight gainer shakes are is protein powder filled with sugar.....

How many calories is she eating a day?

"I want to introduce her to a weights program but I'd like to get her/our diet down before that."

Why?
What do you mean by "diet down"?

It's not rocket surgery, or brain science here.

Get started on the beginner routine that we all crow on about first.

Wow, slightly hostile response.
Anyway, by "diet down" I meant improve her diet, make it better, get it down pat.
Yea, it's not rocket science but apparently English isn't either and not everyone can understand it.

Oh well. Thanks, Kaz for pointing me in the direction of ChocChilli

Wow, slightly hostile response.
Anyway, by "diet down" I meant improve her diet, make it better, get it down pat.
Yea, it's not rocket science but apparently English isn't either and not everyone can understand it.

Oh well. Thanks, Kaz for pointing me in the direction of ChocChilli

sowwy.

youre not an island, everyone starts off this way.
And you are also correct that you shouldnt believe everything you read, basically, if it reads to good to be true, then it is, tis is especially true for advice in relation to biulding strength, biulding bodies and dieting.

What is her food intake for the week accuratly?
I'd be interested to see.

sowwy.

And you are also correct that you shouldnt believe everything you read, basically, if it reads to good to be true, then it is, tis is especially true for advice in relation to biulding strength, biulding bodies and dieting.

simon n garfunkle?

As above, start lifting weights and eat more food.

It is not really that complicated, especially if you are trying to gain weight.

As mentioned before weight gainer shakes are just cheap protein filled with even cheaper sugar sold at a top premium price. If you want a weight gainer shake buy your own protein powder online and add about 20-30 grams of dextrose, will cost you about half of what they charge for weight gainer shakes.

Also even though your wife is a woman, she is still human, and training for her is no different to anyone else.

Check here for a training routine:

http://ausbb.com/power-lifting/9460-beginners-program.html

Lol at husband looking for advice on making his wife gain weight..

this will end well.

Splendidham - do us a favour and record the conversation please..

"Honey - I've posted on a BB forum about how I can make you gain weight"
gets a look

*insert back pedaling here*

Never posts on forum again

OK it's easy for the guys to make their comments but I get where you are coming from.

If she is able to eat quite a bit, that is great. Be aware though, that you may both be underestimating the kcals she has per day.

Until I started logging my macros, I thought I was eating quite a bit too. But I found that

a) the amount of food (portion sizes) I was eating I was almost always underestimating. In some cases, not so much but in others, definitely.

and

b) you can eat a volume of food and think you've eaten kcals but if most of that food is rabbit food you've just eaten a whole lot of "not many kcals at all" (still happens to me when I go on a vegetable bender lol)

Logging kcals and macros and understanding how much she should be eating per day will help. It was the single most important thing I've done as a change to gain.

I started out at 40kgs and am 158cm tall. I'd say I was classic skinny fat.
Except that I have very little fat to speak of. What I lacked was lean muscle tissue.
I'm now at around 46kgs but not much different in size (unless you look at arms, legs etc). She won't get fat if she gains lean mass mostly.

At her height and weight, I would guess that her LBM is way way below the healthy range and possibly her bone density is also low (even accounting for her ethnicity).

At a guess, her maintenance kcals per day would be somewhere around the 1450 mark. She will need to eat at least around 10-15% above that if she is going to gain weight. That amount will need adjustment based on whether or not you see changes and over time, if successful, it will need to increase.

It takes a lot longer for women to gain lean mass than it does for men. The main thing is to think of it as a long term goal and not get impatient.
I gained just over a kg of LBM in 6 months last year (with a small amount of BF). That was actually really good progress, despite not sounding like much.

Make sure she gets around 2g protein per kg BW and a minimum of 0.8g fat per kg BW and the rest from carbs.

She will need lots of carbs :)

Then get her started on some training. BUT I would recommend making some diet changes first, especially if she is not accustomed to huge changes.

The main thing is that she wants to do it. If this is something she has no interest in, it won't happen.

Good luck :)

PS Just because she's skinny doesn't mean she's got an eating disorder. My metabolism is pretty crazy too and it's genetics (I take after my father) so I have to really make sure that I eat enough!

Last edited:
sowwy.

No probs, Goosey. I'll have to get back to you on her daily/weekly intake. I asked her just a week back to try record everything she ate. Hopefully that'll help her see that/ or if she is lacking. She can really pig out though. I struggle to keep up with her at times and I have 30kg on her. I myself am a hard gainer but have trained myself to eat more. I still struggle putting on weight but have improved a lot.

Chocchillimango, thank you very much for the advise. I really appreciate it. Hope you don't mind if we PM you for advise from time to time. I think she must be just like you, doesn't have an eating disorder but just struggles due to an insane metabolism.

Big Mick, we will skip the weight gainers than, cheers. Thanks for the beginners routine also.

TTT, she saw the post and she's fine with it. She wants to gain weight. Should that be a problem? The only thing that would be stopping me from participating in this forum in the future would be that just like every other forum, there are a few posters who have an overly high opinion of themselves. They think they know it all, like to tell everyone they know it all and feel that anyone who thinks differently or happens to be uneducated on the matter is a moron. That, and that this is the girl talk forum. I'm a guy. Didn't see the nutrition forum which is where I should have looked first. Regardless, thanks to everyone who replied in such a positive manner.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

If she wants to then it might be easier for you.

Good luck.

Just to add, if she starts lifting weights, the furnace will burn stronger and she will feel like eating more.

So put a barbell on her and get her squatting.

If she wants to then it might be easier for you.

Good luck.

Just to add, if she starts lifting weights, the furnace will burn stronger and she will feel like eating more.

So put a barbell on her and get her squatting.

Spot on, couldn't have written better than that.

As I wrote earlier, get onto one of the beginner routines, OR.

Start off as a "break in" period though for three weeks.
Three sets of each, of a weight you can manage three sets easily.
as a suggestion.

BB Press
BB squat
BB Stiff legged dead lift
Row
Chin-up/pulldown
Bench press
BB bicep curl

Do this everyday for that period of time.

Big Mick, we will skip the weight gainers than, cheers. Thanks for the beginners routine also.

No need to skip them, they are a great tool for people that want to put on weight. Just buy some protein powder, WPC will be perfect for gaining weight (try no bull supplements or ebay or similar) and buy a few KG of dextrose powder (home brew shop, Big W, etc) then mix it up yourself. 40grams of WPC and 30-50grams of dextrose in 250-350ml of milk.

Last edited: