• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Gym for newbies

S

scotty

I've finally been able to get my self motivated enough and have decided that I want to start going to a gym. I consider to myself to be average in fitness level. I don't think I'm unfit but I wouldn't class myself as fit either. I'm quite underweight for my height and eat right but I think that I could feel a lot better (both about myself and generally) if I were stronger. So basically what I'd like to do is build up my all-round strength.

Now my questions basically centre around gyms themselves. I have no idea what gyms are like - I've never seen the inside of one. I'm a total gym newbie.

So what happens? You get a membership... then what?

How do you know what equipment to use?
How long do you use it for?
Should you alternate between different types of exercises regularly?
How long do you do the exercises for?
How do I know if I'm using the equipment correctly?
How often should I go (say, per week)?
How long should the sessions be?

etc.

Basically if someone can give me a total rundown on gyms for newbies, it'd be much appreciated.

for someone starting out, i would reccommend following the routine set out by the gym instructors (any gym worth their grain of salt, should at least prepare something for you).

It may not be perfect, but its a good start, from where you can then move into other things. It also give you a good understanding of the "basic" exercises, before you more into the more complex (and harder) exercises.

most gyms offer to make you a routine when you sign up. and don't hesitate to ask an instructer about equipment, as thats what they're there for.. at the gym i go to, most of the other people working out couldn't care less what you're doing, so there's no need to feel self concious. it sounds like you're in the same state of mind that i was in a year ago, and i congratulate you for making the decisions to go to a gym