• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

gestational diabetes

CaT_SPeW

extra crispy
my wife whos pregnant has just been told she needs to do further testing as her glucose levels are a bit high. shes sure she will have gestational diabetes as her mum is diabetic and her sister had gestational diabetes whilst pregnant.

so my first questions here are mainly to do with diet and what she can eat. Her sister whos a pharmacist has told her to virtually cut all carbs from her diet and also to avoid saturated fats as well but im also reading that just avoiding high GI foods is all thats needed. obviously theres a lot of conflicting information but has anyone here had experience or knows some decent info on this topic?

My dad is Pre diabetic and it seems pretty much every carb shoots his blood sugar through the roof at the moment.

my wife whos pregnant has just been told she needs to do further testing as her glucose levels are a bit high. shes sure she will have gestational diabetes as her mum is diabetic and her sister had gestational diabetes whilst pregnant.

so my first questions here are mainly to do with diet and what she can eat. Her sister whos a pharmacist has told her to virtually cut all carbs from her diet and also to avoid saturated fats as well but im also reading that just avoiding high GI foods is all thats needed. obviously theres a lot of conflicting information but has anyone here had experience or knows some decent info on this topic?

Hey pussycat, hopefully, it's a negative on the diabetes and if it's not, then hopefully, it goes away post pregnancy.
A friend of mine just had her 3rd baby and had gest. diabetes for the second time around. I think she may be stuck with it this time though but she's still under observation (as it cleared up after her first child was born).

Cutting out carbs is a good starting point. Keeping carb levels really low at least to start, is a safe bet to see what effect it has on her glucose levels.
Saturated fat is a different beast ... I suspect this advice was given because it's so ingrained. But maybe she can play around to see how it affects her. Certainly she should be getting most of her fats from monounsaturated sources and fish oils "might" help.

Take care with low GI ... a lot of foods are low GI but very high in fructose and might not have the immediate spike but will raise blood sugar on a sustained basis (eg dates, honey, agave, etc).

My friend was having issues that even with a suitable diet her fasting blood glucose in the mornings was still up above normal and she got really worried. We had a funny little experiment. I made a chocolate cake (keto style and healthy). When she did the usual test a couple of hours after eating it (it was the only thing she had at the time), her glucose levels dropped to the lowest levels they'd been in over a fortnight.
LOL I gave her the recipe :p

It certainly doesn't prove anything but she did make more adjustments to her diet along those lines (keto-ish) and it seemed to help in her case.

It can be an individual thing. She will have to try something and see how it affects her.

Good luck :)

The guys from Team Scivation based their training and diet plans on what they noticed from volunteering at some kind of place where lots of people had diabetes.

As a result, they generally recommend protein + fats at each meal and carbs at breakfast and workout time.

Obviously your question wasn't gym-related, but generally sticking to protein + good healthy fats seems to be the way to go.

Thunder from Gladiators was in the latest issue of Diabetes Australia's monthly magazine - apparently he eats large amounts of salmon/avocado (see good fats). Although he's type 1 diabetic, I still think it's a good indication.

Try find out the answer and make sure your wife signs up to the NDSS & becomes a member of Diabetes Australia (Queensland if you're here). They provide a lot of support to members and have a call centre.

is there some other type of sugar in bananas? i thought itd be fructose in them that sends my blood sugar (and therefor insulin) up

it doesn't cause an immediate spike but over the longer term high fructose is not a good thing for diabetes and does have an impact.

bananas have a balance of glucose and fructose (ergo why I can eat them ripe without worrying about a food intol attack from the fructose).