• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Protein powder during pregnancy

J

Jimaxe

Hi ladies

My wife is after some info on what's available in protein powders that are safe during pregnancy and breast feeding.

Any info would be great. If I have put this in the wrong section, I apologise in advance.

Cheers

It's more because during the last one she went off eggs, fish and most meat. And obviously cold meats are out.

I will ask a doctor... Well she will, but if you can't bounce questions like this there is no point in being on a forum.

Thanks for the replys.

Just out of interest, why should you not use it while pregnant?

As Bazza says, there isn't a need to use it, but still, I can't see why it would do any harm either...

Because there are Vitamin contents that can throw a pregnant woman into excess and create more harm than good.

Because there are Vitamin contents that can throw a pregnant woman into excess and create more harm than good.

I often wonder with things like this... Which of the micros is of concern with protein powder???

My wife never ate big macs or jam sandwiches ever...

She lived on big macs and jam sandwiches every day for the last 3 months of pregnancy..

Has never eaten them again since... I'm sure other pregnant women do the same thing...

Eat whole cakes , bars of chocolate, packets of biscuits...

Point being that while there are some foods pregnant women should avoid... There really is no reason to avoid eating to much of one particular food group?

It's more because during the last one she went off eggs, fish and most meat. And obviously cold meats are out.

I will ask a doctor... Well she will, but if you can't bounce questions like this there is no point in being on a forum.

Thanks for the replys.

If she's good with other sources of protein ... cheeses (except fresh of course), legumes, nuts, seeds, etc she might be OK.

Plus, don't assume she will go off the same foods this time around. It is not uncommon to have very very different cravings and "off putting" foods from one pregnancy to the next.

Just see how she goes.

But yes, Kaz is right in her post. You have to be careful with any concentrated form of a food in terms of nutrient balance during pregnancy.

She is better off with whole foods or a supplement that is approved for use during pregnancy if there is a likely deficiency.

Thanks guys. Might just see how we go second time round. Hopefully she doesn't go off all the good stuff again.

My wife had used a protein shake during pregnancy as it was one of the things she could stomach. I researched all the for's and againsts and came to the conclusion is was safe. Vitamin A is the only real concern for pregnant women. All the vitamins in protein shakes are trace elements anyway so not really enough to make any difference. She also took a multi-vitamin.
The reason for most of the warnings about foods is salmonella concerns. If you eat fresh all should be good. Hope this helps.

My wife had used a protein shake during pregnancy as it was one of the things she could stomach. I researched all the for's and againsts and came to the conclusion is was safe. Vitamin A is the only real concern for pregnant women. All the vitamins in protein shakes are trace elements anyway so not really enough to make any difference. She also took a multi-vitamin.
The reason for most of the warnings about foods is salmonella concerns. If you eat fresh all should be good. Hope this helps.

Fresh food would be more at risk of salmonella.

My wife loved the patties from cheese burgers during pregnancy too! Weird cravings for those and chilli! Never had before or since.
She made a spag Bol for me when pregnant and used a whole bottle of tabasco sauce as she couldn't get it spicy enough lol. It was horrible but she ate it all lol.
A didn't have protein shakes during pregnancy but I can't remember the reasons. A type 1 diabetics pregnancy is not easy as it is without extra complications.

Fresh food would be more at risk of salmonella.

Actually, guys, lysteria is one of the key concerns during pregnancy.

This is why pregnant women should avoid fresh cheeses (ricotta, fetta, curd cheese etc), smoked salmon/cured meats, as well as salad bars.
For the salad bars, both lysteria and salmonella .. issue there being that it's "not so fresh" in fact.

This is why pregnant women should avoid fresh cheeses (ricotta, fetta, curd cheese etc), smoked salmon/cured meats, as well as salad bars.
For the salad bars, both lysteria and salmonella .. issue there being that it's "not so fresh" in fact.

I'm not debating what is an issue through pregnancy.

But salmonella can definitely be a problem with fresh food.

With the popularity of raw milk now. Fresh milk straight from the cow salmonella can be a problem. Lysteria to I think. A pregnant dairy farmers wife around here got salmonella from the raw milk and lost the baby. I would also be more worried about organic raw milk with salmonella.

There was also that food poisoning outbreak from fresh veggies a year or two back.

Last edited:
I'm not debating what is an issue through pregnancy.

But salmonella can definitely be a problem with fresh food.

With the popularity of raw milk now. Fresh milk straight from the cow salmonella can be a problem. Lysteria to I think. A pregnant dairy farmers wife around here got salmonella from the raw milk and lost the baby. I would also be more worried about organic raw milk with salmonella.

There was also that food poisoning outbreak from fresh veggies a year or two back.

So what you were saying is that in small cases with specific foods there was once a problem.

Ah yes that was the other one :)

So what you were saying is that in small cases with specific foods there was once a problem.

No, Raw milk salmonella is fairly common and so easily avoided that's why I think drinking raw milk is bloody stupid if you are pregnant.