• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

4 day split vs 3 day split

chocchillimango

OK so I've usually stuck to a training regime that has me working out 5-6 times per week, with one full rest day.

Up until late last year, I generally managed a

3 day gym/weight training split and
2 sessions per week for kettlebells/conditioning.

Before Xmas 2012 my whole training regime changed (for the better, bigger focus on strength, main lifts with some power work as well as general hypertrophy).

So I switched to a 4 day split for weights:

2 x heavy days (with bench & squats and deadlifts on the alt day plus some other stuff each day)
and 2 x assistance days based around each of the heavy days.

Plus 2 kb sessions/conditioning (with strength endurance as well).

This is great but I've had some difficulty being consistent due to work and other commitments and I have sometimes found that i end up missing a session (assistance usually).

So I'm thinking about returning to a 3 day split for weights and condensing my 2 assistance days into one bigger session (on a saturday when I have more time).

Just wanted to get everyone's thoughts on the relative merits of one over the other plus any ideas for how to approach this if I go the 3 days.

My main concern is that i usually do light bench and squats and light DLs on either of the assistance days. Not sure doing all three on the same day plus other stuff is the right way to go. Feels wrong.
But what do I know :p

Would love your input ... this is a serious question too so hoping to get some good advice.
I really want to make some gains this year and I've been working hard and eating like a mad person to get there.
I know the important thing is consistency and adherence, just like anything. But beyond that ...

Thanks in advance :)

ill chime in. :)

to me, you sound like you already know what you need to suit your lifestyle.
and thats half the puzzle.

i see no issue with doing light squats/bench/deadlift on same day. its a technique day after all. not meant to kill you...so dont let it :p

ill chime in. :)

to me, you sound like you already know what you need to suit your lifestyle.
and thats half the puzzle.

i see no issue with doing light squats/bench/deadlift on same day. its a technique day after all. not meant to kill you...so dont let it :p

yes, I know. I have to admit, I'm a fan of the 4 days ... prob why I'm reluctant to go for 3 but yes, my light tech stuff doesn't wear me out. the assistance stuff usually does though :p

will give 4 a try and see how I feel after a couple of weeks...

As Tim said, if it suits your lifestyle you probably have your answer. Name of the game is consistency - if three sessions a week is most consistent, I'd go with that. The alternative is to make that fourth day a higher priority and stop missing it, but that depends on your circumstances.

As Tim said, if it suits your lifestyle you probably have your answer. Name of the game is consistency - if three sessions a week is most consistent, I'd go with that. The alternative is to make that fourth day a higher priority and stop missing it, but that depends on your circumstances.

ah moons, telling me to make my workouts a higher priority is actually quite funny.
I don't miss a workout unless I REALLY can't go ... on deathbed, an earthquake, flood ... :D
reasons for missing that 4th one were things beyond my control. You know, stuff happens. You deal.

but it makes me cranky to miss them :cool:

Not interested in full body choc?

Yeah, see I did that for a couple of years and it was OK but I switched to splitting it over 2 days and found that I was getting more out of it. Plus not spending 3 hours in the gym :p
It's just so I can get a bit more done.

For my assistance days, I like to do my light bench, squats and DLs for tech practice as well as do a good range of other stuff I don't get a chance to do on heavy days, to complement each of those.
If you've got any ideas on how I can work it in a one full body day efficiently, I'd love the input. I'm going back to 4 days next week and see how I feel at the end of the week.

That said, I have a kb comp on the 13th but I may just go to spectate. It's a lower priority than the gym for me (but would never say that to my coach lol)

she'd slap you? :p or give you some mega complexes to do at least!

3 day split sounds like the go to me or stick to your 4 day split and drop to 1 KB session a week and maybe not have to worry about eating so much at the same time? But KB's are fun so...?

she'd slap you? :p or give you some mega complexes to do at least!

3 day split sounds like the go to me or stick to your 4 day split and drop to 1 KB session a week and maybe not have to worry about eating so much at the same time? But KB's are fun so...?

Well, in the end it has sorted itself out.

4 day split although for the last two weeks I have had 3 days with a one bigger full body session.
the reason being I hit the wall with what felt like a temporary CFS attack (i do not and have never had CFS). I just rested and ate ate and rested and ate for 4 days.
Returned to training and blew Anna away and me too!! Back to normal!

But I have taken it easier these two weeks so have just had one bigger session instead of two assistance sessions. Will return to the 4 split next week as I'm feeling pretty good again now.

Sleep and food are so underrated LOL :eek:

I've started training for KB Long Cycle so keeping that in there. It's good for strength endurance and getting my technique snazzy.
But only doing one LC session per week as there is no comp date for me to aim for. Just doing it for myself at this stage.
Still have our short KB sessions but seriously, they are not very challenging for me so I count them as one :D

and nah, she'd not slap me....she puts her PL training above KBs so pot calling kettle ... lol

Eating is no longer an issue....increasing kcals weekly now :D