• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

precision guided rifle

why not just ole faithful?
it would be fun at first but once the novelty wears off it would ruin hunting for you.

going to trade in my weatherby .243 vanguard, my dad wants to get a vanguard series 2, im happy with that the caliber i want is .270, but im also tempted to go a browning BLR, but im not sure. never had a lever action before so have no idea what it would be like, always had bolt actions, used a semi auto .22 once, crazy fun shit right there.
pros/cons on bolt v lever?

Most levers have a tubular magazine which limits the type of projectile you can use. Using spitzer in a tube magazine risks detonation of the rounds in the tube.
The BLR lever has a detachable box magazine so the projectile choices are more numerous.

Although Brownings are very good, a lever will never have he same lock up as a bolt action rifle and this compromises their consitency and accuracy. The 270 is also a long bugger and the throw of the lever is quite long to cycle the rifle. I can't imagine the speed would be much greater compared to a slick Mauser action. Shooting prone or off a bench with a lever is, well, interesting. My choice for a BLR would be a 308, or a 243 if you like velocity. Both these rounds are very similar to the 30-06/270 family in terms of performance and they tend to be more plentiful here in Oz.

In a box magazine lever like the BLR it is easier to determine the condition of the rifle compared to a tube magazine lever. It therefore intrinsically safer than a tube magazine lever. With a tube magazine rifle, extra vigilance is required to make it safe. You can't tell how many are up the tube and the lever has to be cycled a number of times (and then again) to be sure it is clear.

With a detachable box one only has to drop the mag, cycle the lever and the rifle is clear. In most bolt rifles, like your weatherby, you can drop the floor plate, cycle the bolt and bobs your uncle - its clear and okay to put away.

The other choice would be a pump action rifle like the Remington 7600 or 7615. We aren't allowed them in WA because they can accept an armalite magazine, which makes them look scary (and also black). Our police commissioner woke up one morning and decided he just didn't like the look of them. The firearms act in WA allows him to do whatever he likes without referral to parliament.