• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

What's best, treadmill or bike?

D

doc

I've had one of those non-motorized treadmills for a while now, and watching the calorie burning monitor whatsit it reckons I burn about 100 cals in 20 mins of walking (fairly briskly - don't forget it's uphill on these things), I've no
idea if that's a lot or not tbh.

Anyways, as a bit of a change, I got myself an excercise bike yesterday. Now, not sure on the exact numbers as I didnt pay that much attention, but it didn't seem to be using anywhere near as many cals. Is it that these things are just wildly inaccurate or is the bike a waste of time?

The way I used it last night was 10 mins on the treadmill, 20 mins on the bike and then repeated that again. I stopped there cos it was getting a bit boring !

Now I'm trying to lose weight, which I tend to do fairly easily when I really want to. I weigh about 82kg st and am about 5ft10. Might sound rather fat there, but I am genuinely well built, so I don't look as bad as it reads, though obviously I'm not happy with it.

Basically I want someone to tell me I'm not wasting my time with it. I'm obviously cutting the cals etc, but that's something else

For me, the bike is the best route just becasue it's lower impact on the knees and ankles. I still hit the treadmill and the road every so often but I've had better results with the bike.

Also, I'm more willing to do more cardio if I don't feel broken from the last time

Yeah makes sense, only thing that was worrying me is if the bike is worth it. I mean, do you have to do an hour's worth of cycling to get the same benefit as doing say 20 mins running?

Both are excellent forms of cardiovascular activity, which evidently, is also a great way to boost your health as well as fat loss.

Exercise machines tend to be very inaccurate - it's quite possible that neither your treadmill nor your bike are anywhere near accurate. A lot of companies overshoot the number of calories burned per minute, per hour, or whatever. They do this as a tactic to sell more of their machines because when people go to the gym and see that certain treadmills or bikes show higher numbers of calories burned, they tend to stick to those machines since that's what they like to see. (This is covered in another thread under Fat Loss).

Anyway, your best bet would be to look for a caloric expenditure calculator online that allows you to type in your weight, height, etc. as well as which machine you used, the duration of the exercise and the distance covered. Compare two or three of them and see what happens

doc said:
Yeah makes sense, only thing that was worrying me is if the bike is worth it. I mean, do you have to do an hour's worth of cycling to get the same benefit as doing say 20 mins running?

If you have the proper amount of resistance on the bike, you could easily equal a 20 minute run with the same amount of time on a bike.

I find it's easier for me to ride the bike if I'm distracted. I usually watch the Simpons or something like that. I find that I end up working harder because I'm not dwelling on how much time I have left on the bike. I'm also entertained, so it's a win-win for me.