• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Sponsored athlete - Marc Wells

marcstone_zps76466ca1.jpg

Marc Wells used to train in a bodybuilding fashion with his dad John - but even as a kid, he has always been interested in straight up brute strength - STRONGMAN

Marc's dad has been on strength forums for some years and happened to stumble across a strongman competition that was being held in Lismore, early 2008.
John saw the events and weights that needed to be shifted, and thought that Marc would be able to shift the weights easily. Especially as Marc was one of, if not the strongest guy in the gym.
Wrong.

Marc struggled, a lot.

He finished 2nd last. .
After his performance, Marc felt defeated, wrecked.
It was "a bit shock to the system" he said. He was probably the strongest guy in his gym, but couldn't stack it up with australia's best.
Due to Marc's competitive nature, this didn't deter him.

After a bit of digging around, Marc realised that the promoter of oz strongman, the lived a short distance from his house.
Marc hooked up with him and started doing weekly strongman sessions, and picked the sport up really quick.

Next on the horizon for Marc was the October 2008 oz strongman nationals, where he got 6th place. A much better result 2nd time round.
After that, a string of strong competitions were to follow as Marc climbed his was to the top end of Strongman in Australia.

In 2009, Marc won Brisbane's strongest man, flew down to NSW to win Sydney's strongest man, then to finish up the year, he won the oz strongman amature nationals and as a prize, won him an invite to the Arnold classic in America. His first international competition.
In 2010 Marc placed 2nd at the Australian highlander challenge, Then in March went to America to compete in the Arnold classic world championship.
After returning from the Arnold, he went on to place 2nd at Australia's strongest man, and won yet another invite to the Arnold classic in 2011.
In 2011 Marc went back to America and competed in the Arnold classic, and returned home to place 3rd at Australia's strongest man.
2012 The big year.
One morning Marc woke up to an email from a promoter in the the World Natural Strongman Federation.
The email was a personal invitation to compete in a competition in Abu Dhabi - All expenses paid. This was it, Marc had been noticed on an international level, and is now competing - Professionally.

WNSF then held an international competition in Australia, the Melbourne Grand Prix, Marc earned 2nd place, the prize, another professional invite - The strongman olympics in London. Marc placed 5th in London.
After returning from London, Marc decided to do Australia's strongest man - which he earned 3rd place while carrying a busted rid an injured TFL.
Marc's thoughts on our training facility?
Training at PTC has helped greatly.
I've been able to store some of my equipment there which is very important for my training. I can even get people to look at my form on lifts and have expert feedback...... Something you can't really do in a commercial gym.

It's an environment where everyone is training for goals be it strength or just general fitness conditioning, and not just a social gathering to get that pump in the biceps.

Quality equipment, awesome people, hardcore environment. It's the perfect ingrediant to bring out the best in any serious lifter. Where else are you going to train that has national and world record holders that are training from open till close?
Marc has now trained out of PTC Brisbane 3-4 times a week since mid 2011 and is currently training for Giants Live, the official Worlds Strongest Man qualifier.

PTC Brisbane - Sponsored Athlete Marc Wells

Great writeup Scott.
Is he the only Strongman that trains with you guys at PTC?
I notice you have a fair amount of gear to cater to the strongman which is bloody brilliant.
If you don't mind me asking, how does his training differ compared to the rest of your lifters, as in main lifts and accessory work and how often does he utilise all the strongman equipment. Have always had a strong appreciation for the feats pulled off in Strongman comps.

We have quite a few strongmen that train out of Ptc, about 6 actually compete. Marc, Adam and Jackson are the strongest of the bunch.

Marc and Adam use the strongman gear every session in some way or another. Over head pressing is done with a log or axel instead of a bar ect.
Jackson focuses more on PL now, but does the stones and yoke on occasion.

A lot of my conditioning clients use the gear to.
A typical circuit I have them do would be

Stone/keg load to 1.4m x5
120kg yoke 15m
Tyre flips x5 (or sledge hammer slams depending on strength - out lightest tyre is 220kg)
120kg yoke 15m

3 times.

Marc and Adam still squat and deadlift every week, but almost always use straps - they rarely bench, unless its with a slingshot.
They are both doing GVT work at the moment.

Marc's best yoke run is 455kg, one of about 3 in Australia's history to move it.

It's on my YouTube somewhere.

Cant for the life of me find that one anywhere Stickman, I did find the one of him with the 160kg stone. A few others of him in a commercial gym with everyone staring at him in awe, haha. Great stuff. What a beast

Here it is man,

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6UyG2Felpb0]PTC Brisbane - Marc Wells 1003lb yoke run - YouTube[/ame]