• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Workout for the Wife

Bradders

Wifey is feeling a little lost at the gym at the moment and does not really know what to do, so need a good general workout plan for her.. .

Stats: 176cm Tall, 106kg (was 120kg)
Goals: Lose weight\fat
Ailments: Patella slippage (knee cap tracking problem), Physio says she is now allowed to run, has her doing lunges as well to strengthen quads.

She's a bit intimidated about free weights well more so all the guys etc in the free weights room at the gym, so trying to get her to do free weights is a bit of a challenge.. but has access to plenty of machines etc.

So any idea's or plans would be much appreciated...

I was thinking a mixture of Cardio, BW Squats, Lunges, Pushups.. ?

Last edited:
Squat, Bench, Dead, Press.

Start with an empty bar or lighter as appropriate, micro load with 0.5kg plates for confidence, keep progressing.

**insert wall of text**

Women don't differ from men at this stage of the game.
Just get her doing the PTC beginner program and some HIIT.

agree with the guys.

a couple of other things you might want to consider:

1. if she has issues with knee tracking, you might want to watch her and take extra care with squats and lunges etc where her knee might cave inwards if she's not 100% yet

2. do you workout together? If you can, it might help give her the confidence to get started in the weight room. even if only for a few weeks - just enough time for her to gain confidence to head in there on her own and get to know good form on her program.

If she's never lifted before, I'd hate to see her start a program without instruction on good form.

just imho

Fat loss will largely come down to her diet Bradders. I roughly follow a protein dense, lower carb routine with re-feed days on the weekends. But everyones body responds differently. Calorie deficit with the right macro balance will get that fat moving.

Jen's at a perfect starting point for weight training, I started at 94kgs & I wish I'd started sooner!

I need to drag her to boxing :p Best thing, hands down, I've ever done.

My advice is to get the diet right first. Spend some time playing with numbers until she's shedding weight off the scales each week (the numbers shes dropping are less important, they all add up!)

Then to start on a simple weights program. She'll see some beautiful newbie muscle gains while she is having fat loss too. Form is paramount, the weight lifted at the very beginning is irrelevant, she will get stronger as time goes on. Her priority is fat loss for the time being.

HIIT anything is ok. 10-15 minutes a day of hill sprints, interval training on the rowing machine/xtrainer/treadmill, skipping whatever (Interval rowing/xtrainer or boxing would be good for Jen, given her shitty knee). She should count that as purposeful exercise & keep it brief so it doesn't feel overwhelming. Bike rides, treks, stair climbing & whatever else you two crazies do, are just incidental additional activity. lol

I found this paramount in my approach psychologically, so things could still remain fun without me feeling like I HAD to do them.

As you will note from my log, 18 months on, I can't actually ever rest now. lol The rush of exercise & the way your body rewards you with tangible results, is very addictive :p

1. Right Diet
2. Simple weights Program
3. Simple HIIT approach
4. Incidental additional exercise factored in

The hardest part, as you know & I know, is just starting. Everything else, will come.

Good luck Jen :)

Think I may have convinced her to at least give the free weights a go for a few weeks...

Will get her on the PTC programme 3 days a week, which I'm doing anyways so we can work in so I can help her out. other 3 days some sort of HIIT Cardio..

and Yep just need to work on the diet... I'll give her the tools, but that is ultimately upto her!

BMR etc.

What calorie\macro goals should she be aiming for?
Her Basal Metabolic Rate is: 1859 calories.
Her Average Daily Calorie Need Is: 2231 calories
Based on the AusBB calculator.

It's important to be aware of the difference between the muscles that move the limbs, and the muscles that stabilize them.
Something you might consider...
If you are using the barbell you need to be especially aware of this, so workout together, but the difference is you will supervise her workout, and when done, she will supervise yours.
This will give her confidence and it's also fun.

Have actually convinced her to give the PTC workout a go, once she realized I'd help her out...

and the benefits of weight training... (I know it's a Cross Fit Article - But it should be shown to every female going to the gym!)

Skinny Fat | CrossFit South Bay

Congrats Bradders, I hope she enjoys it and succeeds!
That article covers all the basic reasons women should lift weights. She should also check out Nia Shanks's website. Really good!

Nia Shanks - Lift Like A Girl

come on Bradders lift your game - one answer is more woman on top sexercise

lots of good hot sweaty cardio fun :D

someone had to say it ;)