• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Running is stupid...

D1cko

Extra Large Member
I need some general advice on knees...
I have started running to get a bit of fitness in addition to my strength training. I also thought I'd like to give tough mudder a crack.
Trouble is, my left knee gets so painful...it's probably a combination of past football, and me being rather heavy.
Could it be my running style? It just feels like I'm really plodding/pounding hard into the pavement when I jog. And when I sprint I feel fine, but I can't keep up that sort of pace for 10k's (my goal)...as soon as I slow to a jog, that heavy pounding feeling goes through my knee again :(
Any idea's??

Do you live near a beach?

Have you tried running on soft sand?

Hard hard work... But you don't get the bone jarring you get from running on concrete...

I use to run 4 laps of Bondi beach in the soft sand... Unbelievable eye candy gives strong motivation!

Personal experience, being reasonably heavy and running = fucked knees. Only reason I still run is because you need to run to play footy. Once I finish playing footy my longer distance running days are over. I'll find other ways to do conditioning.

Im only 93kg and running kills my right knee also. It just hates it. Therefore i hate running forever.

Dicko, when you sprint you will naturally strike the ground with your midfoot or forefoot (mostly forefoot).
this lessens any pronation you might be susceptible to and should be easier on your ITB and therefore your knees.

Where on your knee is the pain mostly? Outside of the knee joint?

Running on sand can be a blessing or a curse, depending on your running form. Poor form on sand and overstriking when you run can lead to injuries on sand.
Running on grass is a good place to start. Concrete is really hard on the joints.
Asphalt is a little better but grass is tops for beginners.

Running can be enjoyable and really good for fitness but it pays to work on your form.

1. Are you wearing the right shoes for you to run?
2. Do you pronate or supinate?
3. Are your glutes activating correctly when you run?
4. Do you strike on forefoot/midfoot or heel?
5. Do you keep your torso upright, shoulders back and arms relaxed?
6. Do you strike the ground under your centre of gravity and kick up? i.e long strides are not necessarily good.

you probably have better form when you sprint and you might need to adjust to mimic this when you slow down. it can feel weird at first but as you adjust you will find that you feel more comfortable and your speed might increase too - without running out of puff (efficiency through less work).

Foam roll your ITB and see if it's tight...one of the most common knee pain causes if there is no pre-existing knee issue.

hope this helps a little :)

100kg here and knee's seem to be ok with running...

First off are you running in a decent pair of shoes? If not it will completely change everything...

Are you running on footpaths or at the park? Start out at the park as it's less impact on the joints.

Running technique i'm guessing when you jog you heel strike pretty badly? e.g heel hits the ground before the forefoot?, When you spring you will probably land more on your forefoot than your heel hence no pain?

When you next go for a run try landing on your forefoot rather than your heels it will feel weird as most modern running shoes are designed for heel strike so that is what now feels natural. It will take a while to get use to but the changes are significant

You could also looking into POSE Running...

HTH

Dicko, when you sprint you will naturally strike the ground with your midfoot or forefoot (mostly forefoot).
this lessens any pronation you might be susceptible to and should be easier on your ITB and therefore your knees.

Where on your knee is the pain mostly? Outside of the knee joint?

Running on sand can be a blessing or a curse, depending on your running form. Poor form on sand and overstriking when you run can lead to injuries on sand.
Running on grass is a good place to start. Concrete is really hard on the joints.
Asphalt is a little better but grass is tops for beginners.

Running can be enjoyable and really good for fitness but it pays to work on your form.

1. Are you wearing the right shoes for you to run?
2. Do you pronate or supinate?
3. Are your glutes activating correctly when you run?
4. Do you strike on forefoot/midfoot or heel?
5. Do you keep your torso upright, shoulders back and arms relaxed?
6. Do you strike the ground under your centre of gravity and kick up? i.e long strides are not necessarily good.

you probably have better form when you sprint and you might need to adjust to mimic this when you slow down. it can feel weird at first but as you adjust you will find that you feel more comfortable and your speed might increase too - without running out of puff (efficiency through less work).

Foam roll your ITB and see if it's tight...one of the most common knee pain causes if there is no pre-existing knee issue.

hope this helps a little :)

she said it better than me :)

when you sprint you run on your fore foot and when you plod you run on you heal. On concrete that a lot of force for us clydesdales to get rid off.

- Get lighter
- find a better running surface - sand, grass (flat with no holes), road. Concrete has no give at all.
- Good shoes
- See if you can run, recover, run
- stick at it.

When you sprint you're on your toes = more room to compress which is less jaring to knees / hips where as when you get down to a slog job you're tired as fuck and probably start running flat footed jaring knees / hips.

What everyone else says....

Just because l can brag rapey has run 4k in sub 15 minutes. Come at me bitch.

When you sprint you're on your toes = more room to compress which is less jaring to knees / hips where as when you get down to a slog job you're tired as fuck and probably start running flat footed jaring knees / hips.

What everyone else says....

Just because l can brag rapey has run 4k in sub 15 minutes. Come at me bitch.

That's pretty fucking good!

Yeah I'm be Jelly.

That's pretty fucking good!

Yeah I'm be Jelly.

Thank you kind sir, was when rapey was built more like an ethiopian though and basically running / pushups was all he did.... Couldn't sprint for shit though... Would have been like a 16ish second 100m.... Can sprint a shit ton better now just cant run distance anymore... Prefer sprinting anyway now since im lazy....

Edit: Probably should clarify by sub 15 minutes l dont mean 12-13 mintues either... I mean just under 15......

Thank you kind sir, was when rapey was built more like an ethiopian though and basically running / pushups was all he did.... Couldn't sprint for shit though... Would have been like a 16ish second 100m.... Can sprint a shit ton better now just cant run distance anymore... Prefer sprinting anyway now since im lazy....

Edit: Probably should clarify by sub 15 minutes l dont mean 12-13 mintues either... I mean just under 15......

that still close to sub 4 min km's...

I've never been a runner in fact I hate running, I run to play footy that's about it...

If it was 12 something you would have said sub 13 :p

I was always a decent runner, good at all distances, but not very good at any

that still close to sub 4 min km's...

I've never been a runner in fact I hate running, I run to play footy that's about it...

Thats all l ran for, then just ran more then the average bear after l stopped playing... Going to start playing next year im thinking though....

If it was 12 something you would have said sub 13 :p

I was always a decent runner, good at all distances, but not very good at any

Yeah, thats true... Just didnt want some ****** calling me out on a 'technicallity'.

You should generally be suited more the one side of the scale though....Surely?

If you directly dropped a plane from a height of 500mm it would destroy it totally.

A plane is traveling at 290 km/h when it lands.
When it lands, the way it lands, the weight is displaced.

I reckon the most efficiant and safe way to improve conditioning is to incorporate aerobic work into weight work, to do this properly, you will only be able to stand no more than 15 minutes, 12 minutes if you are extremely well conditioned.

if you have poor bio-mechanics when you run, a properly fitted pair of shoes can do wonders for helping correct your form. Bigger guys do well with a shoe that has very good mid sole and heal cushioning as being able to absorb a lot of the initial impact here, prevents it traveling further up the leg.

As others have said, try to land on the forefoot (the big chunk of flesh behind the toes). It can be made easier by leaning forward slightly as you run (not leaning over which is bad)

Another thing, a lot of times people returning to running simply stop running due to knee pain. I was one of them and decided to keep at it and concentrate on my form. Within a couple of weeks, the pain disappeared and running got a whole lot easier.

if you have poor bio-mechanics when you run, a properly fitted pair of shoes can do wonders for helping correct your form. Bigger guys do well with a shoe that has very good mid sole and heal cushioning as being able to absorb a lot of the initial impact here, prevents it traveling further up the leg.

As others have said, try to land on the forefoot (the big chunk of flesh behind the toes). It can be made easier by leaning forward slightly as you run (not leaning over which is bad)

Another thing, a lot of times people returning to running simply stop running due to knee pain. I was one of them and decided to keep at it and concentrate on my form. Within a couple of weeks, the pain disappeared and running got a whole lot easier.

I had sure bad knee and calf pain in supportive shoes, moved to more minimalist shoes and havn't looked back.. i found it forced me to run correctly.

“The keys to life are running and reading. When you're running, there's a little person that talks to you and says, "Oh I'm tired. My lung's about to pop. I'm so hurt. There's no way I can possibly continue." You want to quit. If you learn how to defeat that person when you're running. You will how to not quit when things get hard in your life." - Will Smith

“The keys to life are running and reading. When you're running, there's a little person that talks to you and says, "Oh I'm tired. My lung's about to pop. I'm so hurt. There's no way I can possibly continue." You want to quit. If you learn how to defeat that person when you're running. You will how to not quit when things get hard in your life." - Will Smith

This annoying little bastard pops up whenever I go jogging.

You missed a word, this annoys rapey.... Or is that the point because you said running and "reading"...?