• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Predicted effect of Armstrong on Powerlifting

vonfram88

Lance Armstrongs fall from grace and the scalps it has claimed in Australian sports administration is likely to have some interesting knock on effects for the powerlifting fraternity in Australia. This is a personal view, taking into consideration the political scene and human behaviour.

Firstly, never underestimate the power of certain lobbyists in Australia. They exploit ignorance and within a short time frame bills get drafted and put before parliament.

The public fall from grace of certain sports administrators who had proximity to Armstrong will and I reiterate WILL give rise to some significant changes to the administration and operation of ASADA. It is also highly likely these changes will overlap with greater law enforcement, particularly in the areas of criminal possession and supply.

For many, this will serve as a deterrent and we will see some of the performance standards in sport go into stasis or even decline. That would be perhaps a positive outcome of any new regime.

When some changes to powerlifting in Australia happened in the early and mid 90's, the performance standards were obviously impacted. There was a period of adjustment where there seemed to be few outstanding performances and the lifting records remained intact for some time. A few sacred cows were not sacrificed during that period, however.

For other athletes and lifters, the only effect of stricter surveillance and enforcement will be to push the doping chain further underground. The untested organizations will continue for a period of time but it is possible the numbers of their members will decline. There may be moves by the untested organizations to align with ASADA, or defections by their members to organizations that are tested.

One or two sting operations and some well managed media coverage of this "evil pracitice" (managing perception here, I'm not taking a moral stance here) and we may even see extinction of some organisations.

So the next stage in evolution of the sport could see a mish mash of organisations, all managing their public image to conform with "community expectations" on sports doping. Augmented lifters will continue to lift for a period of time, but over time we may see many of them discretely taken out of the contest.

The lifting standards for the remaining organistations will go into decline. All members will hold up their WADA cards, recite the Lifter's Creed and carry on their efforts under a new regime.

Athletes will have to adapt.

And so will the pharmacy.

I doubt there are too many (if any) "dirty" lifters currently with PA given they have about 6 other Feds with no testing to compete with. All of which seem to have greater sponsorship/prize money opportunities

I suppose it depends on whether the incentives for strength athletes in Australia are sufficient to warrant the risk of conviction for offenses under yet to be drafted legislation. And will the sports doctors or well meaning GP's find the risk worthwhile?

To dope, there has to be supply and someone has to possess. Testing and detection are somewhat irrelevant.

It may take a couple of years for the effects of supply side interruption in the PE scene to be felt. It may go further underground and overall the supply chain could therefore become more unsavory.

The prize money or sponsor salary would need to be pretty special if, for example, a 50mL vial of stanazolol becomes as expensive as the equivalent weight of cocaine.

I suppose it depends on whether the incentives for strength athletes in Australia are sufficient to warrant the risk of conviction for offenses under yet to be drafted legislation. And will the sports doctors or well meaning GP's find the risk worthwhile?

To dope, there has to be supply and someone has to possess. Testing and detection are somewhat irrelevant.

It may take a couple of years for the effects of supply side interruption in the PE scene to be felt. It may go further underground and overall the supply chain could therefore become more unsavory.

The prize money or sponsor salary would need to be pretty special if, for example, a 50mL vial of stanazolol becomes as expensive as the equivalent weight of cocaine.

Incentives for strength athletes?? Prize money and or sponsorship for even the best powerlifters in Aus is virtually non existent anyway isn't it.

Last edited:
the strong zyzzBro culture in Aus should support a(n increasingly) steady supply of gear for many years to come.
just look at how well the war on illicit drugs is going... Aus is highest per capita consumer in the world for many of them. plus our prices are much higher than many parts of the world due to demand.

there will always be people that want to be stronger.. strongest! and will do whatever it takes. importers will always find a way, and there will always be medical uses for some compounds = supply.

there will always be someone willing to supply, as long as there is money to be made.
can't imagine cops could be bothered relentlessly chasing people for possession... since they don't make any money/media out of that :D
importers,for sure (adds to the Customs christmas party too)
Dealers, makes a great story on TT/ACA

>implying WADA can ban drugs faster than chemists can invent them

In recent years this has not been the case. Systematic doping in high stakes professional sports has been one step ahead of anti doping and detection for years.

There will come a time when the clever organic chemists have exhausted all known substitutions and the next isomer they are able to synthesize will be no more effective than milk and tuna sandwiches.

I dont think it will be to hard for nations like Australia to make next step for more comprehensive drug testing.

Why not pass a law that any competitive athlete has to be subject to drug testing.

This would mean that all can be subect to testing. At present, there are many amatuer athletes taking heaps of anabolic steroids with no fear of ever being tested.

as for international sport, however, this more a probelm as many nations not that interested in comprehensive drug testing for a number of reasons.

That is right, but ASADa could become a growing industry - at least for short while. Penalties may also include fines.

I dont think it would be hard, just a matter of whether society will support such measures.

Probably wont happen though.

Sparticus, I see what you're saying and do wish that all feds/sports were tested. It costs shitloads though - who is going to foot that bill?

yes, raising money is an issue.

It would have to be funded by a small fee by all competitors when competing, and measures would have to introduced to penalise or expose all non-compliant organisations.

Again, it would need community support, as there is indeed some cost implications.

I dont think it will be to hard for nations like Australia to make next step for more comprehensive drug testing.

Why not pass a law that any competitive athlete has to be subject to drug testing.

This would mean that all can be subect to testing. At present, there are many amatuer athletes taking heaps of anabolic steroids with no fear of ever being tested.

as for international sport, however, this more a probelm as many nations not that interested in comprehensive drug testing for a number of reasons.

Could you clarify a couple of points for me?
a.) What exactly do you mean by "competitive athletes"?
b.) what would be the goal of testing "all competitive athletes" - or in other words what is the outcome you would like to see?
Sorry to be obtuse but I feel I am not understanding some of the issues here (not an uncommon state of affairs for me unfortunately).

Could you clarify a couple of points for me?
a.) What exactly do you mean by "competitive athletes"?
b.) what would be the goal of testing "all competitive athletes" - or in other words what is the outcome you would like to see?
Sorry to be obtuse but I feel I am not understanding some of the issues here (not an uncommon state of affairs for me unfortunately).

Yeah I want to know what is meant by that as well. I mean are we going to end up testing the old grannys down at the bowls club. Lol.

Sumo,

i hope i am not coming across as a do-gooder. I am not. I also have my own dark past which i would rather have avoided (although it was long ago).

All i am saying is that it would not be hard to address drugs in sport to a much greater extent by ensuring that competitive athletes in all sporting competititons are subject to random or in-comp drug testing.

Why would i like to see that? Well, having learned from the mistakes of my past, and my observation that drug use can cause a number of problems (including health), i would like to see all compeititve sport become much more clean.

I think some logic can be directed towards testing. In certain sports, however, even grannies have been caught cheating (given that one was caught in a track and field world champs).

Sumo,

i hope i am not coming across as a do-gooder. I am not. I also have my own dark past which i would rather have avoided (although it was long ago).

All i am saying is that it would not be hard to address drugs in sport to a much greater extent by ensuring that competitive athletes in all sporting competititons are subject to random or in-comp drug testing.

Why would i like to see that? Well, having learned from the mistakes of my past, and my observation that drug use can cause a number of problems (including health), i would like to see all compeititve sport become much more clean.

Thanks Chris - there was no value judgement in my query I am just not following some of the points in this thread (at least yours are cogent enough that I can ask questions).

a.) Could you still define what "competitive athletes" are in your mind?
b.) In terms of objective - it is the health dangers posed by drugs (I assume you are not just talking about steroids here) that you want to see avoided by having drug testing. The logic being that if people know they will be tested rigorously in and out of competition then they will avoid taking drugs (banned drugs that is)?

Thanks