• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Gyms and self-consciousness

D

delfi

hi ya all , first off , a great place you have here at ausbb ,seems like a good community with a wealth of info that I need to read and absorb , good job to all

the reasin i am here is that I'm after a bit of advice, and I'd also like to get some peoples opinions.

Ok, I'm quite skinny and always have been kinda annoys me at times i'm 180cm, weight in 60kg and have just turned 23years old.

I like to keep myself fit and I do this mainly by long distance running. Lately I decided to test my commitment to wanting to get myself fit again by starting running regularly - I do about 4.5k's every 2nd or 3rd day.

While I havent been doing too badly at this I've been giving some thought about taking it to the next level and joining a gym or something

What I'd like to do is just strengthing and building a bit of muscle, so I'm not the skinny rake handle that I have been all my life. There's plenty of info on diet and all that sort of thing that I have to read and understand here first though.

I've been in a gym before and I didnt do too well because I felt really intimidated when I go to them and the desire to push myself dissappears for fear of looking silly ( struggling to push up a weight machine on its lowest setting ). Maybe its that male ego thing ,not wanting to look weak in front of others , but whatever the case , my experience at the gym wasn't so great

So what I'm thinking is perhaps looking into some equipment to try and do some exercise from the comfort of my own home. What equipment would be worthwhile buying to help build my body strength (and mainly upper body to get rid of my skinny geek computer nerd kind of appearance)?

Or should I just try and get over my self-consciousness, fork out and try the gym thing again?

IMO it doesn't matter a lot if you buy some equipment or join a gym. A gym will almost always have a wider range of equipment, but you don't need a lot of equipment anyway. Some people finding paying for a gym membership helps motivate them to go, but if you are highly self motivated and rigorous then working out at home is ok. If you want to go to a gym then a training partner is probably a good idea to help stave off your fear (or you could just stop worrying about your image).

all you need is a pair of dumbells and some weights (buy more then you can lift because you'll make some fast progress in the 1st few weeks), also if you can afford it buy a bench (or make one yourself), and finally a pullup bar (one of the ones you put in your doorway). Now you can work out every part of your body

Now all you need to do is just ask here for a good workout plan detailed to your needs and diet plan and your all set