• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Tonight, world record freefall from the edge of space

Awesome, love this sort of shit.

I reckon a bloke did this back in the 50's or something from a balloon, maybe not as high but technically the edge of space I think???

Awesome, love this sort of shit.

I reckon a bloke did this back in the 50's or something from a balloon, maybe not as high but technically the edge of space I think???

Yes that's right and it's been an unbeaten record ever since, until hopefully tonight where he'll be falling from 36km high at over 1100km per hour!

July test run @ 30km high...

[ame=http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=r-TCO2IdoTA]YouTube - Felix Baumgartner's Test Jump - Red Bull Stratos[/ame]

Ohhh I saw this on the news...it made me feel so nauseas! lol

Scared of heights, checking in. I would die of a heart attack before I even jumped :eek:

It will be incredible to watch though. I'll make sure I have a bucket close by lol

In an interview about this I heard the edge of space is recognised as about 100km so he is no where near that but still bloody awesome.

Just to put this into perspective, he'll be jumping at an altitude 3 times higher than a commercial airliner's highest altitude and twice as high as the SRS Blackbird spy plane, which still is the highest flying jet to date.

Just to put this into perspective, he'll be jumping at an altitude 3 times higher than a commercial airliner's highest altitude and twice as high as the SRS Blackbird spy plane, which still is the highest flying jet to date.

highest one the yanks and Ruskies will admit to

Wish I could do that!

Free fall is an awesome rush. I've done a couple from 12,000 feet (3.6km)
problem is it only lasts for just under two minutes and you have to pull the shute. (beats static line any day)

If you've never done it, you have to give it a go!

This would be ablsolutely insane! I saw an article in the paper about it and he was saying the first 6 seconds you don't know what to expect which is really cool.

1100kmh though daaaaamn that would be a rush and a half!

36 kilometres is the edge of space? Really? Am trying to finish last minute work stuff & just saw an update on the tv....

Naughty? Do we know how long approximately he will free fall for? Do we know any info on the risks to the human body at that height? If any? And what are they?

I am feeling anxiety at just the thought lol

He'll be first person ever to break sound barrier without the aid of a vehicle. I cant imagine thatd be good for your ears or brain pressure.

36 kilometres is the edge of space? Really? Am trying to finish last minute work stuff & just saw an update on the tv....

Naughty? Do we know how long approximately he will free fall for? Do we know any info on the risks to the human body at that height? If any? And what are they?

I am feeling anxiety at just the thought lol

Hi skin could boil/fry which is the risk they are most concerned about.
Speed of sound creates a shock wave (sound barrier) ... not something you want your body to experience frankly.

But they've done all their calcs and taken all the precautions they can.

Will be interesting! I seriously hope it all goes well and he succeeds.

Brave man.

:)

Just found this in the Denver Post Online - sounds fckn terrifying...

Scientific data stressed in man's planned plummet 10/09/2012 12:01 AM

>>

ROSWELL, N.M. — Whatever the leap means for mankind, it should definitely be one giant step for a man.

Felix Baumgartner, a professional daredevil, plans to step off a balloon-borne capsule 23 miles above Earth on Tuesday and plummet for 5K minutes until opening his parachute a mile above the New Mexico desert. If all goes as planned, he will do a series of barrel rolls in the near-vacuum of the stratosphere and then plunge headfirst at more than 700 mph, becoming the first sky diver to break the sound barrier.

His planned attempt was postponed Monday because of weather conditions.

Baumgartner, 43, a former Austrian paratrooper who became known as Fearless Felix by leaping off buildings, landmarks and once into a 600-foot cave, said that this was his toughest challenge, because of the complexity involved and because of an unexpected fear he had to overcome: claustrophobia. During five years of training, he started suffering panic attacks when he had to spend hours locked inside the stiff pressurized suit and helmet necessary for survival at the edge of space.

But he persevered with the help of psychological conditioning and a mentor, Joe Kittinger, a retired Air Force colonel who has held the altitude and speed records since 1960, when he jumped 19 miles from a balloon during a research project (after nearly dying in a practice jump). Kittinger, 84, will be the only voice on the radio guiding Baumgartner during the two-hour ascent to the stratosphere.

"Felix trusts me because I know what he's going through — and I'm the only one who knows what he's going through," Kittinger said.

Both men like to stress the science to be learned.

Engineers and physicians are not sure what will happen if Baumgartner goes through the sound barrier. They realize he could be battered as parts of his body go supersonic or subsonic at different times, but the impact is expected to be manageable because of the thin air at that altitude — or so the engineers and Baumgartner hope.

"I know the consequences if something goes wrong," he said. "And it crosses my mind — what if I'm never going to see my family again? But I have learned how to control my fear so that it doesn't get in the way."

The dive

Cameras: Some 30 video and still cameras attached to the capsule and Felix Baumgartner's body. Organizers promise a live feed with a 20-second delay in case of a tragic accident. redbullstratos.com

Risks: The balloon could rip in wind more than 2 mph. Problems with his pressure suit could cause a gruesome death.

Balloon: Made of plastic film strips 0.0008 inches thick, thinner than a Ziploc bag so delicate that it must be used immediately once out of the box, thus it wasn't tested. If laid flat, this plastic would cover 40 acres.

Streaming time: 6:30 a.m. MDT

Launch: Approximately 6:57 a.m. MDT, weather permitting

Descent: Up to three hours, so landing about 10 or 10:30 a.m.