• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

jane elliott experiement

sookie

[YOUTUBE]8bWlTZZN3DY[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]f21RGIAtW0g[/YOUTUBE]

Are you guys/girls familiar with this experiment? what are your thoughts? I think its a brilliant idea. It teaches that we are all human.

Last edited by a moderator:
What a fantastic experiment. Shame it's not conducted on more people around the world - would make for a much nicer place.

Wow. Love studies like these. Quite incredible how quickly people can change & shows how powerful positive & negative reinforcement is, it truly writes on the slate of who we are & what we believe to be true.

There was a fascinating experiment done with University students in the 60's that I saw ages ago during my own studies of psychology, where they turned a group of students & friends into 'prisoners' & 'wardens' & the wardens were encouraged to be as mean as possible & use brutal force if required. They kept them locked up in a 'prison-like' facility for 7 days & holy shit, best friends became mortal enemies, brothers were severely punished & turned against one another. The visciousness & brutality of the students asked to be wardens was truly shocking as they were conditioned & encouraged to be crueller & meaner.

It was an experiment as I recall, to understand how Nazi Germany evolved & used similar training techniques as forms to opress & abuse their prisoners & then find justification for their actions.

As I recall, every student needed intense therapy after that experiment. It scarred all of them in such horrific ways.

Incredible & so thought provoking. Good posting sookie.

Ah... The Stanley milgram experiment.
I remember the experiment was cut short due to people exhibiting terrible behaviours. The culture and the environment plays a vital role on who we become. Mum and dad have always said 'find friends who can achieve goals... blah blah blah. At that age i had no idea on how important it is to be around positive and compassionate people... The prisoners and guards were so in depth with their roles they were experiencing psychological trauma as you said bella. Pretty cool how we can see the same video but interpret things differently. The main thing that stood out from me was taking orders from a leader.
The guards took orders from a higher ranking official 'use brutal force to get your way'. We see this kind of stuff all the time. Vietnam. Cambodia. Germany, Africa etc. Its amazing the stuff people do when asked. You need to be a charismatic/manipulative being to convince people to perform these task.

Anywho thanks to the guys for watching the experiment.

Its a great little experiment which was very well needed in those times and should be used in today.

Once we realise there is no winners and losers the world will be a nicer place.

There is remake of something similar. I will post it after work for you.

Ah... The Stanley milgram experiment.
I remember the experiment was cut short due to people exhibiting terrible behaviours. The culture and the environment plays a vital role on who we become. Mum and dad have always said 'find friends who can achieve goals... blah blah blah. At that age i had no idea on how important it is to be around positive and compassionate people... The prisoners and guards were so in depth with their roles they were experiencing psychological trauma as you said bella. Pretty cool how we can see the same video but interpret things differently. The main thing that stood out from me was taking orders from a leader.
The guards took orders from a higher ranking official 'use brutal force to get your way'. We see this kind of stuff all the time. Vietnam. Cambodia. Germany, Africa etc. Its amazing the stuff people do when asked. You need to be a charismatic/manipulative being to convince people to perform these task.

Anywho thanks to the guys for watching the experiment.

Its a great little experiment which was very well needed in those times and should be used in today.

Once we realise there is no winners and losers the world will be a nicer place.

There is remake of something similar. I will post it after work for you.

Yep, these experiments are always about conditioning, persuasion & influence & how easily others will take orders or believe what they're told by their 'superiors'. Every justice system in Western culture has been built generally on these studies & 'abuse of power' of people in positions of authority, although we as human beings have a harder time enforcing justice, given the fact that most of us are influenced one way or another.

There was also an experiment run, that I saw some time ago, in England I think. Where people were led to a room & a man in a Drs uniform instructed them that they will be performing 'shock' therapy on patients & prisoners as a form of rehabilitation and/or treatment. The subjects could not SEE, but only HEAR the victims. And the subjects were instructed to 'shock' the patients/prisoners at higher & higher voltages. It was beautifully orchesrated & the 'victims' were actors & when the 'shock' was administered a light would go off on their side of the room & the 'victims' would scream in agony, choke, writhe around, beg for the 'subject' to stop. The Dr, seated in a lab coat next to the 'subject' would very clearly & calmly reiterate that these were 'bad' or 'indecent' people who needed therapy & tell the 'subject' to turn up the voltage & shock the 'victims' some more.

The subjects were clearly distressed at hearing the screaming & the cries, the choking & the gargling sounds & the incessant pleas to stop. But out of 100 subjects, of all creeds & races, ethnicities & religions, they had lawyers & priests & metal workers & teachers - only one man refused to continue 'shocking' the patients.

He was a 60 year old black man who had been a cleaner his entire life, was poor & had always been poor & really no one special at all, but he stood up, told the Dr 'No More' & left the experiment because he would not & could not willingly harm another human being.

The priests, Drs, lawyers, teachers, metal workers, all of them, took orders & did as they were told.

It was Martin Luther King Jnr who once said, 'Our lives begin to end, the day we remain silent about the things that matter"

You don't ever need to be the seemingly 'great' man, just be THE man who is the one who makes the difference.

We blindly allow ourselves to be influenced & persuaded by others & under this influence, human beings are capable of performing horrible atrocities & acts of cruelty. It makes you wonder why?
It makes you question where exactly we lose our voice & reasoning & simply take orders from another even though we feel its wrong?

It also makes you wonder who you would be & how you would act in the same situation.

Its fascinating!