• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

TUE exemptions - who has one?

vonfram88

I made an enquiry with ASADA today on this matter. They stated that TUE (therapeutic use exemption) had been granted for hormone replacement therapy in the past. The advice was to seek advice and documentary support from a medical practitioner (such as an endocrinologist) and to file a TUE application BEFORE you use anything.

It's made me think. I have heard of some masters lifters and others being prescribed Testosterone Replacement for genuine reasons. I'm not that keen on the idea of TRT, but my testosterone levels when tested last year were well below the normal range for my age (a reading of 9).

Although my training gains are still okay, I have some issues going into any contest where another competitor has had their testosterone levels artificially augmented. I have no problem competing against someone who has naturally higher test levels than mine and having them wipe the floor with me, but if I'm at 9 and someone else has artificially boosted theirs to 15, then it's certainly not a level playing field and not a natural outcome.

Alot of sports are having problems with athletes abusing TRT.

Shut yourself down so your at the bottom of the spectrum then get a loose doc to bump you up to the top of the spectrum for good. Its a blurry line between therapeutic use and abuse.

I say do it. My uncle is in his 50's and started trt a while ago, it's like he is a different person, heaps more drive, no depression and he is kicking life goals. True wonder drug. On the flipside is whether or not you think it is right? Hardly seems fair that others get the advantage and you don't but then in masters are you really that hung up on the glory of it all. Surely your just competing against yourself at the end of the day.

I say do it for your quality of life and mental well beign not for you powerlifitng.

You are quite correct in that the competition is with one's self in this game. But it is nice to be able to get a classification whether it's an E1 or an A or a C grading. The grading scales themselves are determined by the level of performance of the athletes. Everyone would want to move as far up the grading scale as they can.

How does one find out what their levels actually are?
I must admit i've only ever been to a doctor in the last 20 years for medical certs when i have a cold :)

Do you just walk in and ask?

Just go in ask for a full blood test. Everyone who's pushing their body hard should check out their various enzymes and hormones from time to time whether they are roid users or not.

Blokes should be checking their PSA (prostate) levels from the age of 35 onwards anyway, and the testosterone is usually checked at the same time along with LDL's and a full Liver Function Test. It would be useful to know if there are any issues with your LDL's for instance before your Aorta detonates under the squat bar.

I made an enquiry with ASADA today on this matter. They stated that TUE (therapeutic use exemption) had been granted for hormone replacement therapy in the past. The advice was to seek advice and documentary support from a medical practitioner (such as an endocrinologist) and to file a TUE application BEFORE you use anything.

It's made me think. I have heard of some masters lifters and others being prescribed Testosterone Replacement for genuine reasons. I'm not that keen on the idea of TRT, but my testosterone levels when tested last year were well below the normal range for my age (a reading of 9).

Although my training gains are still okay, I have some issues going into any contest where another competitor has had their testosterone levels artificially augmented. I have no problem competing against someone who has naturally higher test levels than mine and having them wipe the floor with me, but if I'm at 9 and someone else has artificially boosted theirs to 15, then it's certainly not a level playing field and not a natural outcome.

Its a difficult question I guess - although the HRT may only be boosting your test to normal levels and even though you may get an exemption from ASADA you are still taking an essentially performance enhancing drug which I dont think is in the spirit of the rules. By all means look at taking it for heath reasons which is what I am doing at the moment as I had my levels tested recently and got a bit of a shock so I may have to look at HRT but I dont think it is fair to lift in a tested federation when you are on HRT (even though you may have an exemption). I must add that I lift in an untested federation so it is a non-issue for me. Keep us up to date on how you go mate.

Its a difficult question I guess - although the HRT may only be boosting your test to normal levels and even though you may get an exemption from ASADA you are still taking an essentially performance enhancing drug which I dont think is in the spirit of the rules. By all means look at taking it for heath reasons which is what I am doing at the moment as I had my levels tested recently and got a bit of a shock so I may have to look at HRT but I dont think it is fair to lift in a tested federation when you are on HRT (even though you may have an exemption). I must add that I lift in an untested federation so it is a non-issue for me. Keep us up to date on how you go mate.

This is my stance as well. If you want to take HRT lift in an untested fed. It makes a mockery of lifting in tested feds in my opinion.

It would be interesting to hear if anyone has had a TUE from ASADA for powerlifting recently - I cant imagine they would hand them out without a very good reason. PA and ASADA do a very good job of drug testing in powerlifting and do a lot of work to maintain their image so I would imagine that anyone who has got one recently has got it for a very good reason which I guess would make me somewhat comfortable about lifting against someone in P.A at a masters level who was on HRT (and had a TUE for it of course). Its a difficult one though. ( I hasten to add that I don't lift in P.A so this is all hypothetical for me)

I intend on being fully transparent on the issue should I ever implement a program of HRT I would only compete with both the blessing of ASADA and the federation. I even left my name and details with ASADA during my initial enquiries. It's not an option for me yet as I'm not yet convinced that it is a totally safe thing to do and I want to live to see my grandchildren.

If I can establish that no one else in my competition age group is undergoing HRT them there is absolutely no way I would even consider its use, even if it were guaranteed as not being hazardous to my health.

It is the individual differences between athletes that determines their performance. Some have naturally good levers, some have naturally good endocrine systems (high testosterone) some have naturally good attitude. Not many have all three.

It is the individual differences between athletes that determines their performance. Some have naturally good levers, some have naturally good endocrine systems (high testosterone) some have naturally good attitude. Not many have all three.

Ronnie Coleman

I intend on being fully transparent on the issue should I ever implement a program of HRT I would only compete with both the blessing of ASADA and the federation. I even left my name and details with ASADA during my initial enquiries. It's not an option for me yet as I'm not yet convinced that it is a totally safe thing to do and I want to live to see my grandchildren.

If I can establish that no one else in my competition age group is undergoing HRT them there is absolutely no way I would even consider its use, even if it were guaranteed as not being hazardous to my health.

No worries mate - certainly wasn't accusing you of being underhand so apologies if I gave offence. The beauty of the TUE is that you are being upfront about it and given the rigour of ASADA and P.A they wouldn't hand them out for the fun of it.

No offense taken mate. We need thick skin as the great unwashed have us all down as roid users according to the stereotype.

No offense taken mate. We need thick skin as the great unwashed have us all down as roid users according to the stereotype.

Ha ha very true - everyone at work looks at me askance even though I am a skinny bastard (probably think I am on Clen or something). If I go down the HRT path I will tell you how I go. We have one guy at the gym on HRT and I cant say I have been overly impressed by the standard of care given by his GP or Endocrinoligist given his shockingly low levels (even after being on TRT for a while) of Test yet they still seem to refuse to change his dosing protocol which is ludicrously low.

My uncle is in his 50's and started trt a while ago, it's like he is a different person, heaps more drive, no depression and he is kicking life goals

I say do it for your quality of life and mental well beign not for you powerlifitng.

Powerlifting considerations aside, this sounds enormously attractive. I had no idea that low testosterone was even an issue for us old-timers.

But once started, are you stuck on it for life? And do the nuts go into an early, shrivelled retirement?

Powerlifting considerations aside, this sounds enormously attractive. I had no idea that low testosterone was even an issue for us old-timers.

But once started, are you stuck on it for life? And do the nuts go into an early, shrivelled retirement?

You may or may not have to be on it for life (depending on how low your test levels are or stuffed your endocrine system is) but if done properly you should not have any side effects such as shrivelled nuts etc. You have to realise that there are many adverse health implications (some life threatening) from having low test and if they are not treated with HRT/TRT your quality of life will be very low. All men over 40 should have their levels checked and you need to be aware of the external factors in your environment and diet that are harmful to your testosterone levels.

HRT is only genuinely therapeutic is its for an actual medical condition that results in low test (eg hypgonadism). Natural ageing will not be considered a sufficient factor. A lot of masters IPF lifters in the US have sought exemptions from USADA for the same thing and have been knocked back. There's actually a whole discussion on it the minutes of IPF meetings. The IPF has said that it was considering an exemption for a case of congenital deficiency and that this kind of situation was likely to be the only opportunity for exemption:
http://www.powerlifting-ipf.com/fileadmin/data/Newscontainer/Minutes_GA_2010_HP.pdf (see section 6(a))

HRT is only genuinely therapeutic is its for an actual medical condition that results in low test (eg hypgonadism). Natural ageing will not be considered a sufficient factor. A lot of masters IPF lifters in the US have sought exemptions from USADA for the same thing and have been knocked back. There's actually a whole discussion on it the minutes of IPF meetings. The IPF has said that it was considering an exemption for a case of congenital deficiency and that this kind of situation was likely to be the only opportunity for exemption:
http://www.powerlifting-ipf.com/fileadmin/data/Newscontainer/Minutes_GA_2010_HP.pdf (see section 6(a))

That clears a few things up. I was wondering how low test due to aging could be considered for an exemption.

This is the excerpt from the 2010 minutes. I'm not sure if there are any more recent minutes available. It's pretty clear that IPF were not convinced that HRT is a valid treatment for aging males. A similar view held by myself.

3. We have received many requests for TUE approval for testosterone and growth hormone in normal males. This seems to be most common in the USA where “anti-aging” clinics and treatment programs exist. Lifters are petitioning IPF MC to approve these medications as
“medically necessary” and “doctor ordered”, and often their tone is threatening if we do not approve. Our position is that hormone replacement in normal aging males in unproven in both safety and efficacy. Such therapy violates the concept of master’s level competition as well. Additionally there are other venues for powerlifting which do not ban such treatments. We have asked WADA to consider excluding testosterone and growth hormone from TUE consideration in normal aging males but have received no response. We would like the EC to create a consensus regarding such treatments consistent with our medical opinion. We have not approved any TUE, but are currently considering a case of congenital deficiency which is likely the sole and rare opportunity for approval.

Also Appendix 5 of the August 2012 antidoping guide is quite explicit:

Criteria for Granting a Therapeutic Use Exemption
A therapeutic use exemption (TUE) may be granted to an Athlete permitting the Use of a Prohibited Substance or Prohibited Method. An application for a TUE will be reviewed by the IPF TUE Panel or NADO.
1.1 A TUE will be granted only in strict accordance with the following criteria:
a. TheAthletewouldexperienceasignificantimpairmenttohealthiftheProhibited Substance or Prohibited Method were to be withheld in the course of treating an acute or chronic medical condition.
b. TheTherapeuticUseoftheProhibitedSubstanceorProhibitedMethodwould produce no additional enhancement of performance other than that which might be anticipated by a return to a state of normal health following the treatment of a legitimate medical condition. The Use of any Prohibited Substance or Prohibited Method to increase “low-normal” levels of any endogenous hormone is not considered an acceptable Therapeutic intervention.