• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Serious case of child neglect...

Yer more to the story definitely.

She said she was watching them from the front lawn, but when the cops arrived they had to knock & get her from inside the house? Yeah. lol

Her kids could have been fighting, destroying property, gotten hurt whilst unattended...definitely more to the story.

Our swimming pool is two metres from my balcony. Sophie doesn't swim if I'm not in the water with her or sitting next to the pool. Checking on little ones every 20 minutes or so, isn't enough.

Bare in mind the article also did not disclose the childrens age. They could have been 16months old & 2.5yo, playing in the culd-a-sac, without supervision? Sophie was riding a scooter at 2yo.

I would have called the cops too!

Where are you getting the had to knock and she was inside from??.. Definitely not that article, "I went out there" can be very open to interpretation on where she was..

Calling the cops over every single little thing like this is why we are turning into such a ridiculous nanny country.. If the neighbor was so concerned, they should have gone to the child and asked where their parent was, and either taken them back to the mother (provided the mother hadn't already seen this happening from the front yard where she supposedly was) or even taken the children to "safety" with them.. They clearly though knew who they belonged to if the police ended up at her place..

I remember being in the shopping centre with my mum and quite young little brother.. He was being an absolute wretch of a child that day and throwing tantrums over absolutely nothing.. Literally throwing himself on the floor and refusing to move.. After awhile of this, mum would "walk off" (keeping him in sight), and as soon as he thought he wasn't getting the attention and she'd gone he'd miraculously be up and fine again.. People would go and pander to him as he was a "child alone in a shopping centre", but mum was always around, just trying to teach him a tantrum won't get what he wants..

In conclusion, no one knows what the full situations are, and people are just way too damn quick to cause much bigger issues than are needed.. Not to mention that children these days are just getting wrapped in cotton wool more and more.. It's all getting ridiculous..

IMO ;)

Last edited:
Exactly... the problem here is the 'called the police' bit. Sure there may have been reasons the children should have been more closely supervised (although i walked/skateboarded a couple kms to school when i was 5 and never had a problem), but this could have been dealt with without the police.

Seems a bit dodgey, but seriously, sometimes people should mind their own bloody business instead of trying to be dogooders their whole lives, hell i used to ride to school from about grade 3 onwards, kick the footy on the road and we didnt live in no culd a sac.....

Where are you getting the had to knock and she was inside from??.. Definitely not that article, "I went out there" can be very open to interpretation on where she was..

Calling the cops over every single little thing like this is why we are turning into such a ridiculous nanny country.. If the neighbor was so concerned, they should have gone to the child and asked where their parent was, and either taken them back to the mother (provided the mother hadn't already seen this happening from the front yard where she supposedly was) or even taken the children to "safety" with them.. They clearly though knew who they belonged to if the police ended up at her place..

I remember being in the shopping centre with my mum and quite young little brother.. He was being an absolute wretch of a child that day and throwing tantrums over absolutely nothing.. Literally throwing himself on the floor and refusing to move.. After awhile of this, mum would "walk off" (keeping him in sight), and as soon as he thought he wasn't getting the attention and she'd gone he'd miraculously be up and fine again.. People would go and pander to him as he was a "child alone in a shopping centre", but mum was always around, just trying to teach him a tantrum won't get what he wants..

In conclusion, no one knows what the full situations are, and people are just way too damn quick to cause much bigger issues than are needed.. Not to mention that children these days are just getting wrapped in cotton wool more and more.. It's all getting ridiculous..

IMO ;)

x 1,000,000

Funnily enough i found this on another forum i goto, just this morning, kinda appropriate i thought......

Those of You Born
1930 - 1979

First, we survived being born to mothers
Who smoked and/or drank while they were
Pregnant.

They took aspirin, ate blue cheese dressing,
Tuna from a can and didn't get tested for diabetes.

Then after that trauma, we were put to sleep on our tummies in baby cribs covered with bright colored lead-base paints.

We had no childproof lids on medicine bottles,
Locks on doors or cabinets and when we rode
Our bikes, we had baseball caps not helmets on our heads.

As infants & children,
We would ride in cars with no car seats,
No booster seats, no seat belts, no air bags, bald tires and sometimes no brakes.

Riding in the back of a pick-up truck on a warm day
Was always a special treat.

We drank water
From the garden hose and not from a bottle.

We shared one soft drink with four friends,
From one bottle and no one actually died from this.

We ate cupcakes, white bread, real butter and bacon..
We drank Kool-Aid made with real white sugar.
And, we weren't overweight.
WHY?

Because we were
Always outside playing...that's why!

We would leave home in the morning and play all day,
As long as we were back when the
Streetlights came on.

No one was able
To reach us all day. And, we were O.K.

We would spend hours building our go-carts out of scraps
And then ride them down the hill, only to find out
We forgot the brakes. After running into the bushes
a few times, we learned to solve the problem.

We did not have Playstations, Nintendo's and X-boxes.
There were no video games, no 150 channels on cable,
No video movies or DVD's, no surround-sound or CD's,
No cell phones, No personal computers, no Internet and no chat rooms.

WE HAD FRIENDS
And we went outside and found them!

We fell out of trees, got cut, broke bones and teeth
And there were no lawsuits from these accidents.

We ate worms and mud pies made from dirt,
And the worms did not live in us
Forever.

We were given BB guns for our 10th birthdays,
Made up games with sticks and tennis balls and,
Although we were told it would happen,
We did not put out very many eyes.

We rode bikes or walked to a friend's house and
Knocked on the door or rang the bell, or just
Walked in and talked to them.

Little League had tryouts and not everyone made the team.
Those who didn't had to learn to deal
With disappointment.
Imagine that!!

The idea of a parent bailing us out if we broke the law
Was unheard of.
They actually sided with the law!

These generations have produced some of the best
Risk-takers, problem solvers and inventors ever.

The past 50 years
Have been an explosion of innovation and new ideas.
We had freedom, failure, success and responsibility,
and we learned how to deal with it all.

If YOU are one of them?
CONGRATULATIONS!
You might want to share this with others
who have had the luck to grow up as kids, before the
lawyers and the government regulated so much of our lives
for our own good .

While you are at it, forward it to your kids so they will know
how brave and lucky their parents were.

Kind of makes you want to run through the house
with scissors, doesn't it ?

Sure, but NO ONE knows the complete circumstances?

Maybe the neighbour has bought the kids in countless times? Maybe the neighbour has warned the mother countless times? Maybe the children are very small? Maybe they've been hurt when unsurpervised previously?

Maybe, maybe, maybe. The article doesn't go into any detail. But you would hope, even if called, the cops would not have arrested someone for ducking inside while the kids were playing innocently outside & were fine?

Article gives no context whatsoever.

But having worked in child protection for 6 years, I can assure you, that the police in Australia don't act or arrest anyone for child neglect, unless there is good reason to do so.

What the cops, neighbours, mothers or kids do in the States, or in this particular case? Who knows.

A bit of googling finds more facts...

Prison Planet.com Mom Arrested For Letting Child Play Outside

"In her complaint, Cooper says she lives on a “quiet, suburban cul de sac” and “often allows her 6- and 9-year-old children to ride their scooters on the street while she watches from a chair in the driveway or through the large windows on the front of her house.”
“On the day of her arrest, Cooper’s children were playing on their scooters in the cul de sac when her neighbor, defendant Shelley Fuller, called the City of La Porte Police Department to report that Cooper had ‘abandoned’ her children,” the complaint states."

Mom Arrested for Letting Kids Play Outside | Cop Block

Tammy Cooper was sitting on her lawn chair, enjoying a nice day in the sun, watching her kids play on motorized scooters in the cul de sac right outside her home in La Porte, Texas. Her family’s activity wasn’t any different than any other family across the country.
But that’s when things drastically changed. A LEO pulled up and told her that a neighbor had complained that her children were unsupervised. He then arrested her for child endangerment.
Her children, ages 6 and 9, threw themselves around the officer’s legs and begged him not to arrest her, telling him she had done nothing wrong.
And indeed, she hadn’t. Her charge was dropped, but only after she spent time in jail… an experience she described as “humiliating.”
Fortunately, Tammy Cooper is suing the La Porte PD, her arresting officer and her neighbor. We wish her the best in seeking justice.

Mom Arrested For Kids Playing Outside - YouTube

^ what happened to "I would have called the cops too"..

This is exactly my point earlier.. People don't know the full story of anything, and go do drastic things that cause big issues.. Apparently common sense is rare these days!

Why are you being an antagonist? There were lots of variables that went unreported in the original article? You would hope that people wouldn't be that stupid & you would think, like in Australia, if someone called child neglect, it was in fact severe enough that the children were in danger.

NFT's post clearly states an overzealous neighbour & a heavy handed cop. Which is stupidity. Unfortunately it becomes the Police Forces job to curb retardation from stupid civilians, in this instance, they failed to do that.

Common sense IS rare these days, but bitchiness is rife lol

You should try working at a uni, there is no such thing as common sense, more like common stupidity and its increasing.

And a danger do not enter sign, appears to means open the door and enter to see what the danger is by sticking their head in first.

I want to but myboss won't let me, set a table up in the middle of an area with a high voltage (very low current) power supply connected to a metal object ,with a danger do not touch sign and see how many people do touch and get zapped.
I wouldn't be surprised if 50% of people touched it.

Last edited:
I'm not being an antagonist, I would have been pointing this out if ANYONE had made that comment.

Your comments just purely have been backing up my opinion on the topic in general, and i'm using them to point this out and make my point. Yes NFT's post DOES point that out, but your opinion was different before you had the full information, which again is exactly what my original post was about. You then changed it knowing the "full story". (Just to re-iterate, if Scott had said the same as you - I would have responded in exactly the same way).

This is a topic for discussion, i'm discussing it. You're taking it too personally :)

Omg went to shops for a magnum and there was a child unattended in the car while mum paid for fuel!
Outrageous!!

Srs but not srs.....

saw a slow sign at roadworks on the way to work... decided proceeding was probably dangerous, have been stopped for the last 6 hours waiting for roadworks to finish.