• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Slow Cooker Recipes/hits/Tips

Sydking

This is something that i have tried so many times- and just cant get it right.

There must be something im doing wrong

Im using chuck beef- I have tried with good cuts but they get so dry even after cooking for 8+ hours ( i understnad this as they are not the proper slow cooking types)

The chuck cuts to sue with lots of conective tissue- Are very tender, But when i bite into them they are very dry and grainy

Ive tried about 4 diffrent recipes now- and also done a few of my own

Some nights i would love to be able to come home to a cooked hot meal and the slow cooker is perfect for this. IF i can get it right.

lamb shanks ect i can do- just cant get the dam beef down pat.

Also got some good oat/Steel cut oat recipes i will post up, Great for putting on the night before bed in winter and waking up to fresh hot oats :)

I've given up on slow cooker beef, the sauce always goes to oily and the meat is usually sinewy.

Try a chicken breast curry with potato, sweet potato and carrott. Freaking awesome, I use 200ml of coconut milk, 200ml water, packet slow cooker mix the chicken falls apart. Potato means no need for rice. Fucking magic.

I've given up on slow cooker beef, the sauce always goes to oily and the meat is usually sinewy.

Try a chicken breast curry with potato, sweet potato and carrott. Freaking awesome, I use 200ml of coconut milk, 200ml water, packet slow cooker mix the chicken falls apart. Potato means no need for rice. Fucking magic.

IVe tired chook breast- Again it defies the process of the clow cooker and comes out so bloddy dry all the time
How long are you cooking it for- and what temps

As alot can vary- MIne probly 15 years old- but hold temp great and not to hot

IVe tired chook breast- Again it defies the process of the clow cooker and comes out so bloddy dry all the time
How long are you cooking it for- and what temps

As alot can vary- MIne probly 15 years old- but hold temp great and not to hot

8 hrs on the auto setting. I think with the coconut milk in the curries it really makes the chicken breast moist, tried it with tomato based sauces and it sucks. I should add I cube it before chucking it in.

I do heaps of stuff in the slow cooker and never have problems with it going dry. Do you have liquid in it?

A couple of pointers for when using the slow cooker, however, I prefer using a cast iron pot and having things cook for a long time boiling away on the stove, but certainly wouldn't recommend it if your not home.

Anyways, for meat use, Bolar blade, as with others here I tried ll sorts of different cuts but by far had the best results using bolar blade or roast and cutting into chunks. I also found if you're using chicken it can dry out pretty easily so i found thigh was much better although does have the higher fat content. Also with he bolar blade I found cooking it on high for 8 hrs was much better then low and meat was a lot more tender once it was ready then if you used it on low.

The eare a couple curries I do in the slow cooker which turn out fantastic as well as a paprika chicken andpaprika beef.

We alway have great results but we use a cast iron pot with a lid and stick it in the oven we also use lamb not beef

773832E4-8B98-49D0-87A9-7A99FAD536F8-1249-0000028A51780F38.jpg

im using about 1.5 L of stock per 700G or so of meat.

tired with tomato based stocks- and plenty with french onion soup mixes american style.

Lamb ive done and no problems with thus far, Just the dam beef. I have some more chuck steak at home i will put on tomoorw morning and go from there.

I think it must be you're slow cooker as the water sounds about right to me. I've never measured though just put in enough to make sure it won't boil dry.

That is for chicken only so far though. Coincidentally I was about to whip up a slow cooker Mexican Roo.

Done chiken thighs in a butter chiken stock base yesterday- FERAL

i think ive just gone off the thighs- but this confirmed it

stringy boiled chicken it tasted like, Very watery.

Will try the beef a few more times- then the crock pot its getting sotred away not to be seen

Last edited:
Pulled pork
1 onion
1 apple
1.5kg pork shoulder
1/2- 3/4 cup chicken or veg stock

Slice the apple and the onion then use it to cover the bottom of the slow-cooker. Pour in stock, add the pork and cook on low for about 8 hours. Remove the pork and let it cool, skim off excess fat and pull apart with a fork and your fingers. Return the pulled pork to the slow-cooker. Mix in the BBQ sauce and cook for a further hour on low.

BBQ sauce
1 onion
2-3 cloves of garlic
400gm tin of diced tomatoes
1 tablespoon of chili flakes
1/3 cup of stock
2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
2 tablespoons honey
2 tablespoons olive oil
2 teaspoons english mustard
Tabasco to taste

Blend the onion and garlic together, then add to a pan with the olive oil and fry until soft. Add the other ingredients and simmer until the mixture is at desired consistency.

Yummo! ;)

Pulled pork
1 onion
1 apple
1.5kg pork shoulder
1/2- 3/4 cup chicken or veg stock

Slice the apple and the onion then use it to cover the bottom of the slow-cooker. Pour in stock, add the pork and cook on low for about 8 hours. Remove the pork and let it cool, skim off excess fat and pull apart with a fork and your fingers. Return the pulled pork to the slow-cooker. Mix in the BBQ sauce and cook for a further hour on low.

BBQ sauce
1 onion
2-3 cloves of garlic
400gm tin of diced tomatoes
1 tablespoon of chili flakes
1/3 cup of stock
2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
2 tablespoons honey
2 tablespoons olive oil
2 teaspoons english mustard
Tabasco to taste

Blend the onion and garlic together, then add to a pan with the olive oil and fry until soft. Add the other ingredients and simmer until the mixture is at desired consistency.

Yummo! ;)

Awesome recipe.