• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

polycystic ovarian syndrome

Doctors ain't what they used to be, pretty much all that doctors do today is pass on referalls and prescribe antibiotics.
Everything's too specialized these days.

Syd, has she actually been diagnosed with PCOS?

PCOS is an imbalance in the female sex hormones & can cause other issues for her. But losing weight will & can actually help with the hormone imbalance. It can be harder to lose weight with PCOS, but it's not impossible & any good Dr would be recommending she lose weight & be supporting her through that process?

PCOS can actually be exaserbated or bought on by obesity, so given that, losing weight makes perfect sense.

The last gyno she saw is a dickhead. And unless she's been diagnosed with PCOS, its dangerous to just assume she has it based solely on symptoms.

Regardless, best thing she can do for her health & wellbeing is lose fat.

Being too fat, messes with your hormone balance full stop.

I would urge her to go & see a Dr & get a referral to a good Obgyn to have a full hormonal work up done to check her levels. My GP actually did this for me himself as a first stage in the process.

Many people who think they have PCOS, don't.

Im only interested as my gf has this as well and she has never been able to lose weight. Would love more info to give to her as well!

She needs to see her Dr Matty. PCOS can make it harder to lose weight, but its not impossible. Many PCOS sufferers need to be strict & diligent with their food intake. The imbalance with hormones makes the metabolism sluggish & causes all kinds of other issues as well.

Dr. Endocrinologist. Obgyn.

An appointment needs to be made for a full hormone work up. Many PCOS sufferers end up witb thyroid issues as well. This makes it really difficult to shift the weight, but again, not impossible. Just slower progress.

While most of us could lose 1kg a week relatively comfortably. PCOS sufferers may sit more comfortably at .5kg a week? They should, if their diet is right, still be able to shed fat. And this, in turn will help with the various symptoms (which can be awful!) & eventually the PCOS altogether.

She needs to know where she's starting from, to know where she's going.

Full hormone work up required.

She needs to see her Dr Matty. PCOS can make it harder to lose weight, but its not impossible. Many PCOS sufferers need to be strict & diligent with their food intake. The imbalance with hormones makes the metabolism sluggish & causes all kinds of other issues as well.

Dr. Endocrinologist. Obgyn.

An appointment needs to be made for a full hormone work up. Many PCOS sufferers end up witb thyroid issues as well. This makes it really difficult to shift the weight, but again, not impossible. Just slower progress.

While most of us could lose 1kg a week relatively comfortably. PCOS sufferers may sit more comfortably at .5kg a week? They should, if their diet is right, still be able to shed fat. And this, in turn will help with the various symptoms (which can be awful!) & eventually the PCOS altogether.

She needs to know where she's starting from, to know where she's going.

Full hormone work up required.

Yeah she saw obgyn, who did tests n told her it was PCOS. She has never been able to lose weight, not that shes overweight in the first place. she teaches group fitness classes n does like 14+ classes per week, eats a calorie deficit but hasnt lost any weight.
Docs were all pretty useless from what she said, told her she had PCOS but never told her much about it.

Yeah she saw obgyn, who did tests n told her it was PCOS. She has never been able to lose weight, not that shes overweight in the first place. she teaches group fitness classes n does like 14+ classes per week, eats a calorie deficit but hasnt lost any weight.
Docs were all pretty useless from what she said, told her she had PCOS but never told her much about it.

Mate if your missus is looking for a good gyno, I can give you details of the one my missus saw- Apart from the weight loss part he was great.

And he didnet jump on the medication bandwagon like the rest of them, He will make sure all the bloods are done first.

She has not been mis diagnosed- SHe is getting full glucose bloods done next week.

Before he puts her on meds like the other 3 gynos and docs did.

he did say she only has a mild case-

One of my first ever PT clients was a woman with PCOS. She lost 6kg in the 12 weeks I was working with her. Nothing amazing, but that's basically what most of us would call a normal amount of weight loss to target. PCOS, just like any hormonal disorder, can make weight loss (and weight management in general) trickier, but seldom impossible.

I know a couple of girls with PCOS (one lost over 60kgs, so it IS entirely possible, even though each case is different) who have lost weight and completely recompositioned their bodies.

One of the worst things with PCOS is insulin resistance, which means nutrition is doubly important for women diagnosed with it... and you say "solid diet" but there's no real consensus on what that means. Get her eating complex carbs. She needn't eat a huge amount of protein, just a regular amount for a woman of her size, because a woman with PCOS will convert protein to glucose more readily than a woman without.

Exercise-wise, she needn't do anything more than what the other girls are lifting at the gym. But she should definitely lift. If that's not her bag, try getting her into bodyweight exercises.

I was diagnosed with PCOS when I was 18, I am now 25. And yes the GP's are useless when it comes to this type of thing. You need to go see a Gyno who knows about this type of Syndrome and can help you. You need to first start with finding the right contraceptive for your body. Only in the last year have I found that the IUD works for me, but I tried everything on the market. Having the right ratio of hormones in your contraceptive will be the first step to balancing out your hormone in balance.
Losing weight is difficult, but it can be done. From when I was diagnosed to now I have lost 28kg and I have had to maintain the loss. Unfortunately we do carry extra weight, especially around the belly button region, and we have to constantly maintain the weight loss for the rest of our lives. But for health reasons it is worth it.
In my research you can't cure PCOS, only prevent the symptoms. The best way to prevent the symptoms is to maintain a healthy lifestyle and do regular exercise.
What really kicked me up the butt to get healthier was the fact that women with PCOS have a higher risk of Diabetes, Heart Disease, and either sub-fertility or infertility, which can all be reduced with exercise and healthy eating. And the extra testosterone in your body should help with the exercise too lol
I found this website very helpful: What is PCOS?

Last edited:
I was also diagnosed with PCOS before. My monthly period was irregular and my OB Gyn suggest to take birth control pills to normalize my monthly period and do lot of exercise to lose more weight. I was 123 lbs way back 2009 when I was diagnosed with PCOS, but now I am 110 lbs to be exact. :D

It is curable and even though they say I'll have lesser chances to have a baby, I still do what it takes for me to recover. Exercise really helps in such a way. :)

Diet and exercise are really essential with PCOS. I've also seen many studies linking fiber intake with the improvement of PCOS symptoms.

The study title: Comparison of hormonal and metabolic markers after a high-fat, Western meal versus a low-fat, high-fiber meal in women with polycystic ovary syndrome

and the conclusion was:
Diet plays a role in the regulation of testosterone levels in women with PCOS. Further studies are needed to determine the role of diet composition in the treatment of PCOS.