• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

standing desk

lex

I'm sitting down at work (and study) for way to much up to 15 hours some days

Have wanted to try a standing desk for a while as they are supposed to be much better for your health.

Managed to scourge some furniture from the store room yesterday, had it delivered today.

Got a reasonable set up to give it a try - using a cupboard as the base
With assistance from a stack of old magazines left over by a previous occupant of this office - been unused for about 5 years.

Might need to raise the keyboard and mouse another 5cm .

Have another 1.5 hours here tonight.
And will try it all day tomorrow.

attachment.php

vs

attachment.php

standing desk links

Standing Desk: Its Benefits and History | The Art of Manliness

5 Reasons to Use a Stand-Up Desk

1. To Avoid an Early Grave

2. To Lose Weight

3. To Save Your Back

4. To Increase Your Focus

5. To Gain a Satisfying Tiredness

Standing desk - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Stand Up While You Read This! - NYTimes.com
One Year At My Standing Desk | Lifehacker Australia

Study Links More Time Spent Sitting to Higher Risk of Death

Risk Found to Be Independent of Physical Activity Level

MediaRoom - Press Releases

Attachments

• photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    40.1 KB · Views: 156
  • photo(1).jpg
    photo(1).jpg
    44.6 KB · Views: 156
Fucked if I could stand and work all day. Have found been at a high desk with a draftsmans chair is much better than standard desk height.

First few years behind a desk I had to get up every half hour for a walk. Still squeeze a grip trainer when stressed or needing to release some nervous energy.

A draftsmans desk would be good but all this place gives us is crap ergonomic office furniture and even then its a squeeze if you are over 175cm.

I get up for walks and stretching but still end up stiffening up especially hammys

A draftsmans desk would be good but all this place gives us is crap ergonomic office furniture and even then its a squeeze if you are over 175cm.

I get up for walks and stretching but still end up stiffening up especially hammys

Yeah last joint I was at I made a drafties desk out of an old door and mounted my monitor up high on the wall and had to buy myself a drafties chair off ebay.

Fucking walked into a dream office at my current job huge wraparound draftsmans desk positioned in such a way that people cant't see the screen when they are in the office. Huge plan bench. Couldn;t work in standard office furniture for 12+ hrs a day.

Do you get RSI in your hands from the normal type keyboard?

Outstanding!

Would like to see you progress to a Walking Desk.

Set yourself up with a harness in front of your torso (picture those guys that sell hotdogs in US babeball grandstands), park your laptop and pencil sharpener in there, and you're set to go.

Bye now. :)

Do you get RSI in your hands from the normal type keyboard?

No problems with rsi . But from 2004 to 2010 my main computer was a pc slate.
Plugged a keyboard in for coding.

Switched to wacom tablets at home and work but need another pc tablet.
Looking at getting one of the ms x86 surface tablets when they are out.

ipad isn't good enough as can't run the cad tools and other software I need - xilinx , compilers etc.

Outstanding!

Would like to see you progress to a Walking Desk.

Set yourself up with a harness in front of your torso (picture those guys that sell hotdogs in US babeball grandstands), park your laptop and pencil sharpener in there, and you're set to go.

Bye now. :)

like one of the treadmill desks ?

TrekDesk Treadmill Desk | TrekDesk Treadmill Desks

Maybe for at home , if this works out.But walking on the beach gives much more pleasant views

Need another decent tool belt as going to be having to do some site work(sensor installs).

Used to be on my feet most of the day when I worked in aircraft maintenance
and was a hell of a lot thinner.

Stand Up While You Read This! - NYTimes.com

Last edited:
Clearly, Lex Luther, you are ahead of your time.

You're correct, a Walking Desk wouldn't do justice to your beachside location.

I recommend you get cracking on a Jet Ski Desk.

No problems with rsi . But from 2004 to 2010 my main computer was a pc slate.
Plugged a keyboard in for coding.

Switched to wacom tablets at home and work but need another pc tablet.
Looking at getting one of the ms x86 surface tablets when they are out.

ipad isn't good enough as can't run the cad tools and other software I need - xilinx , compilers etc.

Those ms tablets look sweet, still a few months to go before release.

interesting but i dont think a standing desk would be very good after i have smashed legs during my lunchtime legs session.....

There are pros and cons. Standing all day can also lead to a lot of circulation issues, hip disorders, tiredness and foot pain. What you really want is a way to have both that is easily changeable.

I'm keeping the other desk and chair in the office.

Would love a decent high draftmans desk

I love my standing desk mostly because of the health benefits. I've always suffered from a bad back but generally I try to keep fit and try to lead a healthy lifestyle.

From all the research I've done, standing up instead of sitting will burn at least 50 more calories per hour. Right now, I manage to stand about 4 hours a day at work, which is not too difficult for me (just less than half of my day). While 50 calories per hour might not sound much, that's an extra 200 calories per day - for basically doing nothing. I don't even think about it.

If you go to the gym in the morning and say do a 45min intensive session or do a full hour cardio session, you might burn what 350-500 calories max. If you compare that to just standing at work, 200 calories then becomes a significant amount, for putting in little effort.

Not sure about the treadmill desk yet, I'm too uncoordinated for walking and working :p but its a interesting concept for some definately.

Here's a guy who built his own stand up desk from supplies he bought from IKEA, A Bargain DIY IKEA Standing Desk | Lifehacker Australia and did everything for $180 - pretty cool. Although, if you wanted one for an office environment, you probably would want to hide those ugly cables and get something a bit more robust and functional. This one for example would be perfect for the office and has electric height adjustment also: Standing Desk - Electric Height Adjustable Desk Ergonomic Stand up Adjustable Workbench

Serious? I fucking hate sitting down all day. Getting uo and walking round doesnt cut it...i usually stand for around 40minutes at a time 4-5 times per day. Atleast. Way bettet than falling into a hideous slouch (usually too busy to consiously not slouch :p ).