• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Energy Expenditure of Caveman V Office Worker

No link to study. No clear or specific referencing. Claims that doing stuff burns the same amount of energy as not doing stuff, despite mountains of empirical evidence to the contrary.

Seems legit.

after working both on site and in a office, at the end of the day u go home feeling fucked, i thought working in an office would be less taxing/tiring. i was wrong lol

I put on 80kgs in 3 years from sedentary office work (and bad diet)

I had a hard time putting on weight from a labour intensive factory job ( with a bad diet)

I would burn more calories throwing spears at dinosaurs than sitting behind a computer all day.

I worked a little over 12 months as a formworker/steel fixer with a mate,

Never lifted in that time, A little boxing and cardio before and after work.

Lost about 15kg, Bulked up an impressive ammount, and toped of with a nice tan.

Lots of lifting steel and timber at work really paid off. never ate a propper diet then either.

Now in an office for the last year, frist office job aswell. I am alot lazier. find it hard to wake up before 7 30 am. bugged and lazy when i get home from work at 5, and find it hard to motivate for training, all stiff and hardly off my ass all day.

I used to finish a day on site buzzing like ive had a bag of speed, would even get up at 4 30am and go for a run, half hour nap before training at 7pm and then in bed by 12am.

I thught the office would be great for recovery but working labour all day is even better as your moving and standing all day.

I put on 80kgs in 3 years from sedentary office work (and bad diet)

I had a hard time putting on weight from a labour intensive factory job ( with a bad diet)

I would burn more calories throwing spears at dinosaurs than sitting behind a computer all day.

Personally, i'd burn more calories running away from dinosaurs and throwing spears at rabbits for dinner, sedentary work definitely makes you more stiff and less energetic, unfortunately with no 'hard skills' many of us office workers are stuck unless we want a 50K+ paycut.

Personally, i'd burn more calories running away from dinosaurs and throwing spears at rabbits for dinner, sedentary work definitely makes you more stiff and less energetic, unfortunately with no 'hard skills' many of us office workers are stuck unless we want a 50K+ paycut.
Pretty much the same boat here

Long hours sitting on my ass all day in the office coupled with hardly any time for training + takeaway meals meant I put on 10kg when I was doing a blue collar job. Then I swapped to contracting and I lost all of it and then some, while eating pretty much anything I liked.
Felt I had more energy to burn too..
False study is false

I worked a little over 12 months as a formworker/steel fixer with a mate,

Never lifted in that time, A little boxing and cardio before and after work.

Lost about 15kg, Bulked up an impressive ammount, and toped of with a nice tan.

Lots of lifting steel and timber at work really paid off. never ate a propper diet then either.

Now in an office for the last year, frist office job aswell. I am alot lazier. find it hard to wake up before 7 30 am. bugged and lazy when i get home from work at 5, and find it hard to motivate for training, all stiff and hardly off my ass all day.

I used to finish a day on site buzzing like ive had a bag of speed, would even get up at 4 30am and go for a run, half hour nap before training at 7pm and then in bed by 12am.

I thught the office would be great for recovery but working labour all day is even better as your moving and standing all day.

try walking up the stairs and try a standing desk

try walking up the stairs and try a standing desk

im on the first floor so no stairs

I live less then 1km from work- Though i do train every second day in my lunch break - the 5min walk home is more of a leg warmenr then anything

Dont know how a standing desk would go. though i was thinking of a exersise ball to sit on for back posture reasons.

standing desks are the new gay in the office.....

Working on the tools on site you are going to go home stuffed as you are physically knackered from the active type work, working in an office you are going home stuffed due to mental fatigue, a generalisation YES but pretty close to the mark i think...

im on the first floor so no stairs

I live less then 1km from work- Though i do train every second day in my lunch break - the 5min walk home is more of a leg warmenr then anything

Dont know how a standing desk would go. though i was thinking of a exersise ball to sit on for back posture reasons.

I work on the 23rd floor. From 3 to 23 best time is 6 minutes.

I setup a standing desk in the off ice, use it around 1/3 the time.
My legs hurt if I sit down to much

standing desks are the new gay in the office.....

Working on the tools on site you are going to go home stuffed as you are physically knackered from the active type work, working in an office you are going home stuffed due to mental fatigue, a generalisation YES but pretty close to the mark i think...

i do like the rest and recovery i get from now working in an office.

WHen i was on the tools i was never lifting, Just Kick boxing, though lugging around steel and ply wood all day made for a good base to start.

The free tan was good to, Nothing beats a singo and footy shorts. And when your boss is your good mate - it makes for a bit of fun huh

i do like the rest and recovery i get from now working in an office.

WHen i was on the tools i was never lifting, Just Kick boxing, though lugging around steel and ply wood all day made for a good base to start.

The free tan was good to, Nothing beats a singo and footy shorts. And when your boss is your good mate - it makes for a bit of fun huh

Yeah i know what your saying, one of the best job i had was when i was helping a mate out fencing, you knew the harder you worked the more money you would make, but also the earlier you would knock off...

Fuck yes this, alot of people in offices aren't working that hard if they're not drained at the end of the day. I can tell ya doing a million things at once and dealing with 10 different shit fights at a time in the office will leave you just as knackered as spending 10hrs on a jackhammer.

That's coming from someone that has done both.

Fuck yes this, alot of people in offices aren't working that hard if they're not drained at the end of the day. I can tell ya doing a million things at once and dealing with 10 different shit fights at a time in the office will leave you just as knackered as spending 10hrs on a jackhammer.

That's coming from someone that has done both.

Amen to that. Stress will grind anyone down.

Very true, Mental fatuige and physical are both very draining.

Though NOTHING like a nice jog after sitting in the officeall day to stretch the legs out and get some blood pumping.

Both physical and office jobs can be draining just in different ways.

One other thing, people seem to be suggesting that stress only occurs with office jobs. Lol.