• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Too old to learn to squat?

nazzysmith

kuncesmith
When is someone to old to learn the squat???? I know somone who is 59... was asking about squats... But unsure as to whether or not it would create more problems then is worthwhile....

Its one thing to squat all your life and continue doing it into old age... Its another thing all together to start from scratch at that age????

I suspect that it would be a bad idea?:confused:

Never too learn to old to squat.

In fact, the biggest problem I see (I have suffered myself at some point) is to retrain bad technique. The neural connections after having done repetition after repetition (if done incorrectly with bad form) becomes a pain in the ass to re correct.

So regarding someone who has never squatted and at that age - you would need to obviously check for all contraindications and view it as a case by case basis. Nothing wrong with starting on bodyweight squats, teaching good form and progressing.

I had a 63 year old man with bad knees and was getting him to squat. Range of motion will need to be monitored as if there are other underlying issues which cause inflammation or aggravation you pull the plug. Otherwise, dose him up on fish oil & get him moving!

Another story: my grandmother aged 88 after having heart problems and stroke was doing chair squats to build up her strength just to be able to get up from the toilet, out of bed.. lifestyle and functional related. Lived at home until she passed away last year aged 89. I'll be a happy man if I can live every single one of my years in my own home.

I think like anything start light learn the movement, identify any mobility issues, fix the problems if possible, and then push forward.

There was a thread on the starting strength forums talking about a guy who started lifting at age 70-something and went on to set seniors world records in powerlifting.

Actually I think there might even be a whole subforum over there for the over 50s?

It's never too late smithy.

Start him off squatting with a 5kg bag of potatoes when he has mastered twenty rep's you then progress up to a 10kg bag, then 20kg up to a 50 kg bag.

Ok - so when he's mastered all that, fill the bags with potatoes.

Anybody can squat regardless of age.

We just become more immobile/unflexible as the years carry on due to examples 10-15 years of working as a desk jockey.
So this will need to be addressed alot.
Check if he is also had any injuries the older clients generally have a history somewhere of it.

Other than that good to start goblet squatting/sack of potatoes

cheers Trent

I was 36 when I first squatted & my older brother is nearly 40 & now he squats too! Even my 66yo Dad has started squatting with an empty barbell that my younger brother left behind in his house lol

Flexibility/mobility are the only issues, as the lads above have said. My many years of childhood ballet & yoga in recent years ensured I was the most flexible fat person on earth. So squatting wasn't such an issue for me.

My older brother & Dad have to work on their flexibility though.

Squatting is a natural movement, but I do think its less 'natural' for men tbh? Even when you think of child birth, women naturally get into the squat position to bare down & cope with the pain, whether they're in Cedars Sinai Hospital New York or a desolate African tribe, it seems to be a natural & very primal human response during childbirth for women...

I think thats an interesting thought....women, from what I've noted, seem to take more fluidly to the squat, regardless of age?

Why do you think men are less flexible, generally speaking?

Bending over is more natural for an adult.

Squatting improves the systems flexibility by increasing ones strength.

I started squatting when I was 41 and it doesn't come that easy to me. I have poor flexibility in the hammies which I always have to work on.

I can sometimes hear a quite loud 'clicking' noise in my knees during the reps which is quite disconcerting while you're doing the movement, but I've googled this and apparently it's something I shouldn't be worried about. I think the only google feedback I got saying that was forum peeps though...I'd prefer confirmation from a medical expert or proper S & C coach.

I also sometimes get a mild grinding feeling in the knees when I walk up the stairs at home. It's never got too bad, but the thought is always in the back of my mind about potential squat injury ahead.

I started squatting when I was 41 and it doesn't come that easy to me. I have poor flexibility in the hammies which I always have to work on.

I can sometimes hear a quite loud 'clicking' noise in my knees during the reps which is quite disconcerting while you're doing the movement, but I've googled this and apparently it's something I shouldn't be worried about. I think the only google feedback I got saying that was forum peeps though...I'd prefer confirmation from a medical expert or proper S & C coach.

I also sometimes get a mild grinding feeling in the knees when I walk up the stairs at home. It's never got too bad, but the thought is always in the back of my mind about potential squat injury ahead.

LOL DKD, is there pain associated with the noises, there could be ware and tare, but not bending the knee will lead to more issues than bending it. LOL

I've been hearing clicks and snaps coming out of my knees for years, the noise goes away when I turn up the music, you try it.

Hey G, clicking in the knee can be quite common & you stated the reason ^^ up there yourself.

'Clicking' most commonly occurs when the muscles of the leg are imbalanced (i.e. when your quadriceps are stronger than your hamstrings) it can cause a 'tugging' action on the knee & cause a clicking sound & some slight discomfort, which probably worsens after squatting?

One way to remedy this is by building stronger hamstrings, so the muscle is as strong as the quadricep & the clicking sound should slowly stop.

As long as you're not experiencing any 'pain' per say, clicking of the knee can be quite normal, especially during squatting or exersion ;)

Any consistent pain however, needs to treated seriously..

Love to your family :)

LOL DKD, is there pain associated with the noises, there could be ware and tare, but not bending the knee will lead to more issues than bending it. LOL

I've been hearing clicks and snaps coming out of my knees for years, the noise goes away when I turn up the music, you try it.

Yeah I video'd myself once squatting. The clicking could be heard quite clearly when I played it back. I've heard a few people say don't worry about it, so I don't. Nope, no pain during these moments.

I would take on your advice whippersnapper, but I'm already playing Nana at max volume.

Thx for thinking of me anyway.

<3
<3
<3
xoxoxoxoxo
xyz
abc

Hey G, clicking in the knee can be quite common & you stated the reason ^^ up there yourself.

'Clicking' most commonly occurs when the muscles of the leg are imbalanced (i.e. when your quadriceps are stronger than your hamstrings) it can cause a 'tugging' action on the knee & cause a clicking sound & some slight discomfort, which probably worsens after squatting?

One way to remedy this is by building stronger hamstrings, so the muscle is as strong as the quadricep & the clicking sound should slowly stop.

As long as you're not experiencing any 'pain' per say, clicking of the knee can be quite normal, especially during squatting or exersion ;)

Any consistent pain however, needs to treated seriously..

Love to your family :)

Thx J, been a while since I looked this up, but from memory I don't recall seeing a better explanation than yours. You got a little sumfing between your ears don't ya?

Lmah

<3
<3
<3
xoxoxoxoxo
xyz
abc

Speaking of hammies the other night I got this god awful hyooooooge cramp in the hammies in the middle of the night in bed. A few seconds of torturous pain. I get these in the calf every now and then, as do many people apparently, but first time I can remember it in the hammies.

Fanks Guys!!!

Regarding the clicking... My understanding is that the clicking noise is actually a poping noise from air escaping from between the joints...

And is not the joints them selves clicking against each other...

Fanks Guys!!!

Regarding the clicking... My understanding is that the clicking noise is actually a poping noise from air escaping from between the joints...

And is not the joints them selves clicking against each other...

Yes, and also tendons snapping over tendons and joints, it's really nothing to worry about.

Muscle strength unbalances will lead to pain and injury, two different things.

Speaking of hammies the other night I got this god awful hyooooooge cramp in the hammies in the middle of the night in bed. A few seconds of torturous pain. I get these in the calf every now and then, as do many people apparently, but first time I can remember it in the hammies.

Ever had your Quads cramp up? ... now _that_ hurts like a Mofo!

Yes, and also tendons snapping over tendons and joints, it's really nothing to worry about.

Muscle strength unbalances will lead to pain and injury, two different things.

So it's ok for the hips to do this?, something 'pops/clicks' in my hips frequently...

My right hip pops out. I blame 14 years of childhood ballet for my farrked up hips. It happens less frequently now days, but I can still remember going shopping in New York with friends & I came to a sudden halt in the middle of the footpath on 5th Avenue because my hip had popped out mwahaha

Cannot move at all when this happens, its like I become paralysed on the spot. my friend Sven had to push me against the glass window of Tiffany's, stand on my right foot with his own foot & yank me up from beneath my arm pits, like he was going to pick me up. Hip clicked back in like a charm, but I felt like a freak show :D