• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Anyone an Exercise Physiologist here?

Radnor45

Him

I am new to the forum and saw a thread discussing physio's and EP's a while ago.

I'm always interested in talking to people who are doing EP as it's such a new field and growing - I'm hopeful of finding a good role when I graduate.

Has anyone here finished the degree and working in the field?

Cheers

Did Exercise and Sport Science at uni, didn't do the hours to grad as an EP because I have no interest in that area of work.

Didn't learn a thing from the degree, was a huge waste of time imo.

Currently doing masters of physio, yet to to really improve my thoughts on the uni system but hey what can ya do.

Did Exercise and Sport Science at uni, didn't do the hours to grad as an EP because I have no interest in that area of work.

Currently doing masters of physio, yet to to really improve my thoughts on the uni system but hey what can ya do.

Did you get good grades in Uni? If you're getting HD's or even D's I can't see how you don't learn anything.

The people that have the attitude 'P's = degrees' usually don't learn much. (Not saying that was you, just what I've observed).

3rd year sport science now.

you do learn stuff but there are a lot of wasted subjects. but i suppose that's like any course. Im enjoying it and learnt alot. however its a bit worrying when you getting tested on your competency of running a warm up in third year.

Its good to know at a more biological and CNS level what is going on. also helps when reading stuff and knowing what is bullshit.

No idea what ill do after. Thinking honours or masters in EP.

i would also be keen to see what an EP has to say about their job. not much is said at uni.

I did ex and sport science with majors in physiology and nutrition. Got offered a position to do an EP post grad but really cbf'ed. You need to really enjoy that aspect of functional training and rehab. I applied for my doctor of physio, but it was 3 years and melbourne uni. I got in but decided my heart was more in my business than doing my doctor of phsyio.

While I learnt a truck load at my time at uni (graduated with a distinction average) I don't necessarily think the course provided any value career wise for myself. You're at the end of the day still seen as a PT, despite having vast knowledge in a lot of areas. Sort of fell out of love with the education system. The fees are ridiculous, they spend more on marketing than they do for learning resources, and a lot of these courses are manufactured out of thin air to create work for the sake of work. The only course i'll be doing from now on is intercourse.

I am collating my years of knowledge into an ebook, specifically for fat loss. Hopefully this will pay off my $25k hecs debt. Should do! :)

As for EP comments above - it's a lot of work. The guys that went on to do EP are enjoying it, but quite stressed. It's a relatively new field, but gaining steam. If you're after $, the area you should be focused on is the elderly/aging populations.

Last edited:
Im also interested in the possibility of doping physio post grad after. How hard was it to get in? How difficult is the course work? I was looking at the 2 yr course at la trobe...

I can register as an EP but I really am not interested in that side of things. I have also worked in a rehab hospital, nice for short term but not a long term gig. I much rather PT work, it all depends on what you want. Pay for PT can be just as good, if not better, too.

Im doing my post grad ex phys now, in process of completing my hours. Its not really what you expect at least my post grad work wasnt.

I was accepted into the doc of phys but after talking to a few people I decided that was less of the path I wanted to take I have no real interest in touching fat, old or disgusting people.

Physio is a lot of work, I have a lot of mates doing it now. I personally dont believe it would be hard just time consuming, although you may not want to take notice of my opinion on that as I have still not done any homework/study as of yet and I have pretty much finished all my course work.

Ive done a few hours mostly with MSK patients, department of veterans affairs and workout etc. Starting wage is about 50k, like others have said its an emerging field so if you want to run your own business its a lot of marketing to get it up and running, getting clients, referrals etc.

2nd year of Sports and Exercise science at the same uni as haz. Not sure how it compares to other uni's, but I do agree with haz that a lot of what you pay to get taught is a pretty large waste but there's not much you can do about that.

Still got another year to go but I'm also looking to hopefully go into EP or nutrition or something.

Which uni are you doing it with?

Why do you say your post grad isn't what you expect, just not as good as you thought?

How do you feel your prospects are of moving into a job after finishing?

Im doing my post grad ex phys now, in process of completing my hours. Its not really what you expect at least my post grad work wasnt.

I was accepted into the doc of phys but after talking to a few people I decided that was less of the path I wanted to take I have no real interest in touching fat, old or disgusting people.

Physio is a lot of work, I have a lot of mates doing it now. I personally dont believe it would be hard just time consuming, although you may not want to take notice of my opinion on that as I have still not done any homework/study as of yet and I have pretty much finished all my course work.

Ive done a few hours mostly with MSK patients, department of veterans affairs and workout etc. Starting wage is about 50k, like others have said its an emerging field so if you want to run your own business its a lot of marketing to get it up and running, getting clients, referrals etc.

Did you get good grades in Uni? If you're getting HD's or even D's I can't see how you don't learn anything.

The people that have the attitude 'P's = degrees' usually don't learn much. (Not saying that was you, just what I've observed).

Got a variety of grades, think I ended up with a credit average (without going to lectures/pracs for the most part). I remember getting 52 or something for biochemistry, because I suck at chemistry :D

Course was a joke for the most part, nothing you can't learn on your own (which is why I found no value in it).

I went into it interested in a career in strength and conditioning, left no better off and 16-20k in debt.

Im also interested in the possibility of doping physio post grad after. How hard was it to get in? How difficult is the course work? I was looking at the 2 yr course at la trobe...

Wasn't hard to get in, you just apply through UAC or whatever.

Can only comment on first semester as that is what I'm finishing up (final prac exam tomorrow in fact), and it's not been a challenge thus far.

Last edited:
Got a variety of grades, think I ended up with a credit average (without going to lectures/pracs for the most part). I remember getting 52 or something for biochemistry, because I suck at chemistry :D.

Fuck. I'm doing Exercise Biochemistry & Drugs in sport this semester :(. Not liking it at all to be honest lol.

You get what you put into and try to get from degrees. Also exercise science is heavily basedfor a research position or sports scientist position. Most don't go this route though.

Hey, so you got a C average in your undergrad and this was ok to get into postgrad masters of physio? I assume your doing it at La Trobe if your in Melbourne?

I agree with the undergrad degree - however it is a lot about what you put in. Although there are so many iimprovements to the course structure/content that could be made.

Got a variety of grades, think I ended up with a credit average (without going to lectures/pracs for the most part). I remember getting 52 or something for biochemistry, because I suck at chemistry :D

Course was a joke for the most part, nothing you can't learn on your own (which is why I found no value in it).

I went into it interested in a career in strength and conditioning, left no better off and 16-20k in debt.

Wasn't hard to get in, you just apply through UAC or whatever.

Can only comment on first semester as that is what I'm finishing up (final prac exam tomorrow in fact), and it's not been a challenge thus far.

Which uni are you doing it with?

Why do you say your post grad isn't what you expect, just not as good as you thought?

How do you feel your prospects are of moving into a job after finishing?

Griffith on the gold coast.

I was expecting a heavier emphasis on MSK subjects and assessments, however the people running the MSK part of the subject dropped the ball big time.

Our undergrad was focused a lot on physiology, cardiopulminary and metabolic conditions and not so much on MSK anatomy etc. So I thought they would pick us up in the post grad but that didnt happen.

Dont get me wrong the course was good just not what I expected again a lot better on the cardiopulm and metabolic disorders.

I feel quite confident dealing with those issues but not as confident with msk assessments.

Job prospects Im honestly not sure about but I know a couple of ex phys and it wasnt too hard to find work some did have to move to remote locations to get experience though.

The field of EP is expanding still and it is becoming a more recognized profession with even some doctors not having to be told what it is exactly. Some doctors even actively utilize EPs, so it is getting better.

So far from my experience though it is not the most exciting job unless you make it one and really try to get into an area youre very passionate about.

Fuck. I'm doing Exercise Biochemistry & Drugs in sport this semester :(. Not liking it at all to be honest lol.

Biochem of exercise was one of my favourite subjects! Extremely interesting and useful once you combine it with other subjects later on. At least thats my thoughts on it anyways, although I guess I was always more of a nerd than an athlete.

You can also use a rehab post grad to move into the strength and conditioning field, a lot of big sporting organisations like that you know rehab techniques even if it is still under control by the teams sports med doc or physio.

Hey, so you got a C average in your undergrad and this was ok to get into postgrad masters of physio? I assume your doing it at La Trobe if your in Melbourne?

I'm @ USyd

I *think* I got a C average but I honestly don't know. I applied, got an offer, took the offer lol

If there wasn't an offer I'd probably be working in a warehouse somewhere. If you want to get a job out of an ExSS degree you will need to get the EP hours done, at least in my experience. Dave is right in that you largely graduate as a personal trainer with a degree.

Edit: Another thing, there are 220 people in my postgrad course alone. Still leaves undergrad 4th years who will grad at the same time as me, and this is just from USyd - I don't even want to think about how many from other unis. I have some reservations about difficulty finding work when I graduate, personally, but only time will tell.

To get anywhere good in this industry expect to put in a lot of volunteer hours during undergrad. In the lab, any sport organisations etc etc. It takes a lot of free work for you to just get your foot in the door. Like most too it is also a lot of who you know hence why volunteering is so important. Stay at home have a weekend job and get started in the first year. Get yourself out to anyone and everyone and don't be scared to ask for a volunteer position, start at the top and work down.

No I did not do this as I had bills to pay and a wife starting her own business. But I'm happy where I am at the moment. The guys who got places do this.