• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Here's an interesting take on power cleans and burpees

that's awesometastic!!!!!

if I could do a power clean, I'd give that a shot :)

sadly can't so will stick to other burpee combos.

love it, thanks for posting Ryan

That's awesome. Might try that one of these days when I do more than a lazy half hour of machine cardio.

I would be interested to see some real info, studies etc, on the benefit of the burpee.

Clearly, its a pretty humbling exercise and makes a lot of sense. Would like to see what the experts have to say.

I would be interested to see some real info, studies etc, on the benefit of the burpee.

Clearly, its a pretty humbling exercise and makes a lot of sense. Would like to see what the experts have to say.
Well, what does the body go through when doing burpees? That'll generally give us a good idea about what the outcome will be.

- High impact loading of the skeleton: promotes strengthening of the bones, may result in strengthening of connective tissues.
- High speed jumping movement: may result in improved power and explosiveness, although burpees are typically done at too high a rep range to be ideal for developing this aspect of fitness.
- Sudden change in body position: may cause a significant spike in blood pressure during the exercise; I'm uncertain as to whether or not this may lead to chronic changes in BP, and if so whether it'd be for better or worse.
- Whole body movement: may promote strengthening across the whole body (although there are much better ways to get stronger, obviously), may be used effectively for cardio (which is typically the purpose of burpees in an exercise program) especially in the presence of a high training density.

Well, what does the body go through when doing burpees? That'll generally give us a good idea about what the outcome will be.

Just wonder how they compare with other exercises. And what sports they might be best for. Someone once told me they were bad for you... lol. Be interesting to see That study .

Just wonder how they compare with other exercises. And what sports they might be best for. Someone once told me they were bad for you... lol. Be interesting to see That study .
I think they're mostly a general conditioning exercise, rather than specific conditioning. I suppose they'd have some carry-over into any event where you have to pick yourself up off the ground and immediately get moving.

There are some risks with burpees, but I wouldn't say they're bad for you. For someone with cardiovascular issues, the change in BP could be a hazard. For all people, the impact forces through the wrists could be a problem. When I do them, I do them on a gymnastics mat for that reason.

impact for wrists is an issue potentially but overall, they are great for making your heart and lungs capable of anything.

I do them on a mat or grass etc. to cushion the blow for the wrist.

Great exercise for cardiovascular fitness.

if you combine them with pullups, pushups, the power cleans, KB cleans and presses, or whatever, then you get some strength stuff in there a bit. Depends how you do it.