• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Push-Up Weight Distribution Percentages

Admin

Administrator. Graeme
Staff member
n case you wondered how much weight you move during a pushup here’s a chart from Zatsiorsky’s [ame="http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0736056289/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&tag=frapabldo-20&linkCode=as2&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=0736056289"]Science and Practice of Strength Training[/ame]

“Percentages of body weight supported by the hands during push-ups at various postures”
Zatsiorsky-Push-up-Weight-Percentage.jpg

, Charles Poliquin also posted something about the efficacy of push-ups.

A new study in the Journal of Strength and Conditioning Research identified the percent of body weight you lift with four varieties of the push-up. In a regular push-up, you lift 64 percent of body weight, whereas with a knee push-up, you lift 49 percent. If you’re new to training, performing the push-up with hands elevated on a 24-inch bench will allow you to lift even less than a knee push-up, at 41 percent of body weight. Elevating the feet on the 24-inch bench makes it harder and allows you to lift 75 percent of body weight, still not enough to elicit serious strength gains if you can bench press 225 lbs.​
Here is the study he cites from the Journal of Strength and Conditioning Research.

Kinetic Analysis of Several Variations of Push-Ups
http://w4.ub.uni-konstanz.de/cpa/article/viewFile/4457/4146

I regard push-ups a better exercise than bench press
Just a damn shame that they are pretty much impossible to load

I've always been a wide push ups girl, I guess my trainer had me on the more challenging stuff from day one....

Well what do you know, i was wondering this.

@Oni, agree with the pushup is a way better movement than the bench press, as all supporting musculature is brought into the movement (abdominals, rotator muscles, back etc) than apposed to the bench (IM ASSUMING). Too bad we dont have super high gravity rooms like in Dragon Ball Z when 1 earth day = 1 year in there.