• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Exercise machines are for cripples

wingman

Super M0derator
I found this to be a really entertaining read so thought I'd share: Exercise Machines Are For Cripples

He says there's 3 sections in the gym - freeweights where people exercise, cardio area where boring people are, and the machines where cripples are doing rehab.

It supports my own personal view that traditional cardio / machines are pointless and useless. I'm curious what others think on this?

I have to laugh when I walk into a gym with millions of dollars of cardio crap.... And the PTC boys get better results from an old tyre and piece of rope...

totally with you guys on this!

I just got my tyre delivered from my very obliging cousin last night (love having concreters in the family...so handy!) ... sledgehammer is in the garage, rope too ... need a bigger tyre but all in good time...

I had both a stationary bike and a treadmill I had got mostly for my father to use (he had ops on both legs a while ago). Sold both of them ages ago and bought other equipment for me. Win.

:)

totally with you guys on this!

I just got my tyre delivered from my very obliging cousin last night (love having concreters in the family...so handy!) ... sledgehammer is in the garage, rope too ... need a bigger tyre but all in good time...

I had both a stationary bike and a treadmill I had got mostly for my father to use (he had ops on both legs a while ago). Sold both of them ages ago and bought other equipment for me. Win.

:)

Try this CCM with your new tyre. Use the tyre for the sledge strikes, and jump onto it for the box jumps.

Complete 3 rounds of the following of:
Sledge Hammer Strikes Right - 1 minute
Box Jumps 20" - 1 minute
Sledge Hammer Strikes Left - 1 minute
Dumbbell Hang Clean 45 lbs - 1 minute

*Rest 1 minute between rounds
*Score total reps per round

Try this CCM with your new tyre. Use the tyre for the sledge strikes, and jump onto it for the box jumps.

Complete 3 rounds of the following of:
Sledge Hammer Strikes Right - 1 minute
Box Jumps 20" - 1 minute
Sledge Hammer Strikes Left - 1 minute
Dumbbell Hang Clean 45 lbs - 1 minute

*Rest 1 minute between rounds
*Score total reps per round

I have an embarrassing confession to make ... I suck at box jumps :eek:
it's something I have set as a goal for myself to address by end of this month. I have to be able to box jump or else. I don't even feel scared. It's just that my legs won't follow my brain. Figuring on starting with a low step and work my way up. 20" is high, baby, high right now. I'm aiming to conquer the 35cm plyo box and the tyre first!

45lbs for the hang clean? total weight or each dumbbell? if the latter, can I use a lower weight???:eek::eek::eek:
I'm just a munchkin ...

One other thing... I was at planet fitness up the road...

They had a tiny free weights area all jammed together... And then a massive area full of machines... I counted five different types of bicep curling machines???

CCM - 45lbs is each dumbell, but its target audience is male football players so of course you can use less.

Nazzy - I didnt even know there was bicep curling machines. Is that for people too lazy to use dumbells? Keeps them out of the rack i guess :p

I went to check out an Anytime Fitness that opened near home recently. Everything is spaced out but it 99% cardio and machines.
i walked out after 1 minute.

edit: I didn't even know there was such a thing as a bicep curling machine lol

Wingman, will give that circuit a go, looks like fun and a good way to get those BJs happening!

Box jumps are no ones friends!
My trainer used to make me do those. I would refuse and carry out burpees instead!

Had this discussion today about commercials gyms. I could never go back!

that's what I do to...lol whenever box jumps are mentioned, I start demonstrating my burpee prowess with variations .... haha

the commercial gym i goto isn't quite so bad , sure they have a few machines , but quite a lot of free weight space is allocated , with about a dozen treadmills and a hanfull of bikes

Do burpee-boxjumps then (thats where you jump on the box at the top of each burpee)

you're evil, aren't you??? Can I just do a pullup or something at the top of each burpee? That I can do!

sheesh now the pressure is on with these damned box jumps. :(:(
i feel an epic fail coming ....

Is it wrong of me to believe that cable machines have their place, and that place mightn't always be for "cripples"...? :confused:

Not that I tend to use them, these days, but as far as machines go, they seem a lot better than most, gotta say.

I, too, had no idea there was a bicep curl machine, let alone 3 different kinds! :eek:

Either way, I'm really glad the gym I go to has majority free weights and stuff to support that (benches, racks, dumbbell area, etc.) - what machines there are actually get used less, it seems. :)

I still use cables for upper body, Lat pull down and an assortment of triceps exercises.
They do still have a place.