• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Doherty's Gym - Melbourne

chocchillimango

Just wondering if anyone works out or has worked out at any of Doherty's gyms in Melbourne?

i'm thinking of starting with some casual day passes just to get access to equipment when I'm not training with my coach/trainer.

I'm looking at using the Brunswick gym (ie the original one).

Would love to know what people think of it.
My trainer thinks I'd love it.

Cheers

It's great - excellent equipment, great light (not that that would worry you much - but I like it, as a photographer). My avatar was taken at the Brunswick Doherty's in November last year.

City one is terrific too - far better than it was just a few years back. This is where I'm training twice a week now.

The quality of trainer there will push you as well - just being around those guys and girls will drive you for another set or two harder each time.

At just $10 a time, cheap.

Last edited:
thanks guys!

yes, I'm popping in tomorrow to check it out and get a feel for the place.
Hope to head in there when it's not too busy on the weekend .... haha joke's on me there.

and perceive SHUT UP AND GET OUT ... I don't want to know about shoot ups across the street!
it's actually next door to my cousin's biz so i can run in there and hide :D

i train there and its great. my second home :)

olympia gym in south melbourne and muscle & bodyshape in richmond are well worth checking out also.

Jst do it, you won't regret it.....very inspiring just working out there and looking at the great photos covering the walls

i train there and its great. my second home :)

olympia gym in south melbourne and muscle & bodyshape in richmond are well worth checking out also.

they are too far for me unfortunately!!

Jst do it, you won't regret it.....very inspiring just working out there and looking at the great photos covering the walls

yeah can't wait to check it out. it's not the most convenient spot but worth an extra km or two :)

if anyone trains at dohertys in danenong (or in the area), like 2 mins down the road is the strength gym i train at... would be worth a look even if your into bodybuilding, multiple racks, multiple bars, plenty of weight. all the people there are very interactive and supportive... think its like $60 a month, so if you train there 3 times a week its less than $5 a session.

Doherty's Gym Melbourne

I've been training at the Dohertys gym in Dandenong for two years now and once u there u will never look at any other gym.
Just the atmosphere is excellent. There are plenty of big guys but with no attitude and are very helpful whether you are beginner, novice or pro.
It's like a family, you become friends with them over period of time.

I trained at Doherty's in Brunswick a couple of times. It seemed like it would be a good place to train for bodybuilding - good atmosphere, strong guys, but I wouldn't go back:
- average weights but may have upgraded in recent years who knows - when I was there, they didn't have any 450mm plates to deadlift with, let alone good quality bumpers etc - lots of gyms have specced up to good bars and weights in recent years.
- very shitty bars
- was offered drugs twice. Don't get me wrong, I'm happy to live and let live, but I don't like paying to train at a place only to have drugs pushed on me.

I trained at Doherty's in Brunswick a couple of times. It seemed like it would be a good place to train for bodybuilding - good atmosphere, strong guys, but I wouldn't go back:
- average weights but may have upgraded in recent years who knows - when I was there, they didn't have any 450mm plates to deadlift with, let alone good quality bumpers etc - lots of gyms have specced up to good bars and weights in recent years.
- very shitty bars
- was offered drugs twice. Don't get me wrong, I'm happy to live and let live, but I don't like paying to train at a place only to have drugs pushed on me.

Really? What were you offered?

Guys, after some research (ie turning up and training in gyms), I'm now 100% loving Definition 352 in Doncaster.

FANTASTIC place. Great atmosphere, fantastic people, equipment is great, no bad.

Is yamagata still there?

I have no idea!
to be honest, Goose, I'm a little imtimidated by some of the people there so stick close to my PL buddy when there :)

But I love the atmosphere. Everyone is great, helpful, and I have to say it's really motivating to train where there are people who are so much better than you, you know?

I just can't adapt to hearing women grunt when training. I never grunt. I swear like a sailor, but grunting? :eek:

i'll ask...my friend trains clients there and used to compete in strongwoman there so might know.

I have no idea!
to be honest, Goose, I'm a little imtimidated by some of the people there so stick close to my PL buddy when there :)

But I love the atmosphere. Everyone is great, helpful, and I have to say it's really motivating to train where there are people who are so much better than you, you know?

I just can't adapt to hearing women grunt when training. I never grunt. I swear like a sailor, but grunting? :eek:

i'll ask...my friend trains clients there and used to compete in strongwoman there so might know.

:D
Yamagata is a Japanese restaurant around the corner.
Funny!