• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

First post and in need of some help please.

Wench

Sorry in advance for the long drawn out post. :)
OK here we go. This will be my first post as I am now in need of some help. Let me know what you think and send any advice my way (good or bad) please.

After a shoulder injury my doctor told me that I may need to do some strength training to help it along. A friend gave me some advice of where to start with some dumb bells.
I have been working on my shoulder since February. I only worked on the muscles that supported my injury. I have only just started doing exercised above my head and all is going really well.
So far my shoulder is really good. I now have a friend that is doing a bit of training with me so I am now bumping up my weights.

Please don’t take this the wrong way (I have a tendency of “foot in mouth”) but I am not yet at the point where most of you guys are and that is very focused and very well educated on health and fitness as well as weight training and/or body building so sometimes I have no clue about what you guys are talking about in the threads. :confused:

My goals at the minute are;
- Lose all over body fat
- Gain all over muscle (I would like to see defined all over muscle - all body parts)
- Stop having bad eating days and have the education to know exactly what I am eating.

I have started a training journal as well as a diet journal so I can see if there is improvement.
A quick run down of my training at the moment is below. I break this up into areas over a couple of days. On the other days I do cardio (walk, run, bike)

DB Press seated 4 Sets x 12 reps x 25pound
DB Flys seated 4 sets x 12 reps x 20pound
One Arm Row 2 sets x 15 reps x 35pound
2 sets x 15 reps x 40pound
Shoulder Press seated 4 sets x 12 reps x 15pound
Lat Pulldown 4 sets x 12 reps x 75pound
Tri Extension 4 sets x 12 reps x 50pound
(rope over head)
Tri – One arm 4 sets x 12 reps x 20pound
Curls 4 sets x 12 reps x 10pound
Straight leg dead lift 4 sets x 20 reps x 30pound
Leg machine 4 sets x 12 reps x 40pound
(hamstrings)

thanks for you help.

Welcome to the forum and good on you for being interested in getting stronger (aka: gain all over muscle).

You cannot go wrong with one of the many beginners programs out there which is based around the barbell squat:
http://ausbb.com/strength-training-power-lifting/9460-beginners-program.html
http://ausbb.com/bodybuilding-training-discussions/9660-beginners-look-here.html

For technique guidance, the book "Starting Strength" by Mark Rippetoe is excellent, you can also find clips on youtube where he is instructing novice lifters.

The MRI showed a small tear of the bursa. The doctor explained that the space in my shoulder joint had become narrow and because of this I get inflammation. Surgery not really recommended but exercise of the shoulder a must. (Basic explanation)
I started with a Physio and did only stretches and have now progressed to weight training.

Quick update.
Went to the gym at lunch to do chest and shoulders (all in pounds)
DB Chest press - 4 x 12 x 25
DB Flys - 3 x 12 x 20 & 1 x 12 x 25
DB Pullover - 4 x 12 x 30
Push ups - 15
DB Should press 2 x 12 x 10 & 2 x 12 x 15
DB Upright Row 4 x 12 x 10
DB Raise 4 x 15 x 5
Tri Extension - Rope 4 x 12 x 40
Tri one arm push down 4 x 12 x 20

Will do legs and back tomorrow.

You need to see someone who understands both lifting and injuries/rehab. Do not keep doing the upright rows, not a good exercise for you.

I just looked at this post and can second what Dave said. Upright rows are a terrible exercise for your shoulders. I gotta say I wouldn't be doing any flys either.

I have been nursing a shoulder impingement for about two years now and have learned the hard way the following are definite exercises not to do -

upright row
flys
db raises (if done need to be light and with very strict form)

Everyone will be different depending on the injury and the movement restrictions it places on your shoulder. I would be wary of any advice from the person that gave you that programme.

Google shoulder mobility wod and you will find so,me excellent rehab exercises.

This^^^^

I don't have a shoulder injury..... If I wanted one I would do heavy upright rows... Always hated that excercise for that reason... Then again some can do em no problems...