• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

What type of training goes well with mma?

Strength and conditioning training.

Powerlifting is for powerlifters, strongman is for strongman games, crossfit is for idiots and body weight stuff is a good addition to any training program.

You strength train for MMA using what is important in MMA. Absolute strength and power are important. So big exercises like squats and deads will help, power producing jumps and explosive exercises will help, body control and strength endurance for grappling will help. Hope you get the idea. Look at the sport and find out its needs.

Hey mate. Dave is spot on about conditioning if your not already running stairs/hills you should be. I have known lot's of fighters over the years and the general concensus is you need to lift and get bigger if you want to move up through the weight divisions, MMA training alone will not get you the size needed to step up in fighting weight.

I would focus my training to compliment MMA around a decent strength programme. You wanna be stronger so you can dominate other dudes right?

Wendler has an article on his website about making 5/3/1 more MMA specific definitely worth reading. The important thing is if you wanna succeed in the ring you gotta be stronger, fitter and faster then your opponent.

Exactly what the other 2 have said, strength and conditioning, you don't want to be big but you do want to be as strong as possible and in the best condition possible, check out YouTube there are some great mma workout videos on there which can give you some ideas, but I think the idea would be to try and incorporate explosive exercises with little rest between exercises and sets to help with conditioning.

Powerlifting training for strength and strongman movements for conditioning can work well. There's an article or 2 on Elitefts about this.

Depending on how many days you train MMA a 2-3 day strength routine can fit in well.

Strength and conditioning training.

Powerlifting is for powerlifters, strongman is for strongman games, crossfit is for idiots and body weight stuff is a good addition to any training program.

You strength train for MMA using what is important in MMA. Absolute strength and power are important. So big exercises like squats and deads will help, power producing jumps and explosive exercises will help, body control and strength endurance for grappling will help. Hope you get the idea. Look at the sport and find out its needs.

I agree with mostly what Dave writes except for the " explosive type exercises"
Exercise should be safe and the rep smooooooth.

Two important and often neglected aspects of trianing to consider are forms of neck and grip training.

How? Pretty simple really if you want to fight a guy you have to be stronger then him. Right?

Mma and strength training go together like cocaine and hookers.

I like your analogy.

Squat, deadlift, SLDL, press, chin, dip and bicep curl, just lift. KISS.

I train power lifting in-between fights, but when i have a fight booked its more hill runs/sprints and circuit training, a very high level of cardio is needed for mma,

The cardio aspect should be a priority. I've seen a lot of guys run out of gas during fights....there'd be nothing worse I imagine.

IMO the priority should be as follows:

1. Effective technique (striking, BJJ, grappling)
2. Endurance capability (being able to last 3 rounds and fight hard at the end)
3. Strength (lot of leg and core strength, to drive explosively for takedowns and get up when pinned by your opponent)

Strength shouldn't be the main consideration in MMA training IMO. The best fighter in the world ATM is probably Anderson Silva....he's all technique...not particularly strong at all.

The cardio aspect should be a priority. I've seen a lot of guys run out of gas during fights....there'd be nothing worse I imagine.

IMO the priority should be as follows:

1. Effective technique (striking, BJJ, grappling)
2. Endurance capability (being able to last 3 rounds and fight hard at the end)
3. Strength (lot of leg and core strength, to drive explosively for takedowns and get up when pinned by your opponent)

Strength shouldn't be the main consideration in MMA training IMO. The best fighter in the world ATM is probably Anderson Silva....he's all technique...not particularly strong at all.

DKD the days of relying on out grappling your opponent are over these guys are becoming consummate athletes. Strength is very important and strength and conditioning go in hand with each other. I agree you have to be able to grapple and out strike your opponent but beign stronger then him especially at the amateur level is very very important.

when Kyle Noke was over here earlier on in the year, we got him to put us through a circuit like they do at Jacksons mma in the US, he had has do a circuit consisting of 3x5min rounds with 1min gap in between(simulating fight distance) every 30sec we would change, and he would call out the next exercise, doing sprints/burpees/ground and pound/wall getups/bag carrying/bag slams/shadow sparring/hard fast pad work/

You can only serve 1 master. If mma is your goal it has to be your priority. I'd look at str training 2 days per week so you can focus on the mma and your fitness for the others.