• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

An Open Letter to Arnold Schwarzenegger From Steve Reeves

Wow thanks dc1138 - that was a fantastic watch and the contrasting pictures between the old time classic bb'ers, like Reeves and Zane and Nubret alongside the current bb'ers was alarming, to say the least!

The new legion of bb'er competitors have taken on a caricature type look, where they're just so freakishly and outrageously big.

You then look at the physiques of Zane and Nubret, Arnold and Reeves...and they were masculine and strong and beautifully conditioned, they also presented much more achievable physiques for up-and-comers to the sport of bodybuilding, to emulate.

Great post. I enjoyed! Thank you!

Do we know if Arnold responded? Curious....

Acheivable? You have to be joking right. They may not look like massively inflated humans but Serge, Zane and Arnie are by far not acheivable naturally.

Acheivable? You have to be joking right. They may not look like massively inflated humans but Serge, Zane and Arnie are by far not acheivable naturally.

Aspiration and emulation are open to perception dave. The bodybuilders of old had physiques others who came after them, aspired to achieve and emulate.

No one can hope to achieve sameness, when genetically very different.

Jay Cutler and Kai Greene have those who aspire to be like them too - except the kids and men attempting to emulate them are running cycles to try and get anywhere near it.

Most natural bodybuilders I know, still have pictures and posters of Frank Zane and Steve Reeves as motivation. Not the modern day boys.

Thats all I was suggesting....

Aspiration and emulation are open to perception dave. The bodybuilders of old had physiques others who came after them, aspired to achieve and emulate.

No one can hope to achieve sameness, when genetically very different.

Jay Cutler and Kai Greene have those who aspire to be like them too - except the kids and men attempting to emulate them are running cycles to try and get anywhere near it.

Most natural bodybuilders I know, still have pictures and posters of Frank Zane and Steve Reeves as motivation. Not the modern day boys.

Thats all I was suggesting....

im not having a go at you bella

but who are these natural bodybuilders can i ask?

Are you suggesting guys emulating Serge, Arnie or Dave Draper weren't going to get on the gear because they can achieve those physiques naturally.

I am not really following what you are getting at here Bella. None of the guys old or new had physiques you can attain naturally google George Hackenschmidt or Sigmend Klein that is the kind of physique you can aspire to if you have excellent genetics and are dedicated.

You didn't see big freaks before the late 1940's because after that is when test started to become freely available.

While I appreciate the notion behind that video, and understand that the bodies presented thirty-forty years ago were beautiful in a way that hasn't been seen since DY took the Olympia over and over... But whether or not Steve Reeves would ever actually send such a letter to Arnold Schwarzenegger is a laughable concept. Schwarzenegger is on record for his drug use, and others are on the record discussing their introduction to drugs by the late Reeves.

I appreciate the thought, and the end goal of whoever compiled the movie - some beautiful shots.

Are you suggesting guys emulating Serge, Arnie or Dave Draper weren't going to get on the gear because they can achieve those physiques naturally.

I am not really following what you are getting at here Bella. None of the guys old or new had physiques you can attain naturally google George Hackenschmidt or Sigmend Klein that is the kind of physique you can aspire to if you have excellent genetics and are dedicated.

You didn't see big freaks before the late 1940's because after that is when test started to become freely available.

this x 100000000

Even compare natural bodybuilding vs bodybuilders before steroids and see the differences

ps - steeve reeves died 11 years ago

Yer, I watched most of it before work today, and I was thinking to myself, does he know that arnie was a massive roider.. ths whole thing was a little confusing.

And to hit 90kg at 6" is near impossible at a competitive level. as is my understanding

It's a shame to see blokes who fly the natty flag, and have freakishly amazing physiques ie Ulisses Jr... Perhaps by natty he means he leaves tren out of his cycles

Have you ever met a natural body builder and you can hear the hatred towards drug use in the sport within their voice and you know 100% they are natural and drug free?

i knew this day when i spoke with Michael Waddington so would you be happy to look like this?

IMG_8498B1.jpg

So many people make so much money off everyone's quest to get big, so there is basically no chance of this happening. Also natural body building is a scam, 11 months on 1 month off for competition, then back on it. You show me a natural body builder and I'll show you a cheat.

You show me a natural body builder and I'll show you a cheat.

That is a rubbish blanket comment.

I fully agree that there are very few truly natural 'champions'. But that doesn't mean there aren't any natural bodybuilders or natural competitors pin good form. My brother (shown below) is a perfect example of a natural BBer. 100% Natural (excepting generic supplements of course). No, it's definitely not a maintainable physique. But it was achieved naturally.

Show me the cheat.

d2385186-9a68-a578.jpg

I fully agree that there are very few truly natural 'champions'. But that doesn't mean there aren't any natural bodybuilders or natural competitors pin good form. My brother (shown below) is a perfect example of a natural BBer. 100% Natural (excepting generic supplements of course). No, it's definitely not a maintainable physique. But it was achieved naturally.

Show me the cheat.

d2385186-9a68-a578.jpg

Exactly there is hundreds of very good nattys out there and when you meet one you know within about 30seconds if he is full of shit or not when it comes to steroid use. This guy looks awesome for a natty.

So many people make so much money off everyone's quest to get big, so there is basically no chance of this happening. Also natural body building is a scam, 11 months on 1 month off for competition, then back on it. You show me a natural body builder and I'll show you a cheat.

Someones got a chip on their shoulder. Whats wrong bro you can't get big so it's impossible for anyone else to unless their on the gear.

There are big units that don't juice. So many people use roids as an excuse to never reach their natural potential.

Edit obviously not talking about the mass monster pros.

Last edited:

Show me the cheat.

d2385186-9a68-a578.jpg

hell yeah rino, your brothers a unit! I have a looooong way to go.

Some inspiration in this thread