PDA

View Full Version : Games hopeful: $5000 now or I quit and you all miss the Olympics

chocchillimango
13-06-2012, 07:45 AM
Can you believe this? Freaking shameful. I wonder what on earth prompted this insane behaviour???

Games hopeful: $5000 now or I quit and you all miss the Olympics (http://www.theage.com.au/sport/olympics-2012/games-hopeful-5000-now-or-i-quit-and-you-all-miss-the-olympics-20120612-208cc.html)

DKD
13-06-2012, 07:48 AM
If it's confirmed as true then he should be banned for life.

Bella
13-06-2012, 08:00 AM
He needed the money obviously?

Shoulda asked for WAY more though imo lololol

Be interesting to see what the officials do now....

Admin
13-06-2012, 08:16 AM
going to pull out the soap story about dedicating his life to the sport with no financial support blah blah

Neddysmith
13-06-2012, 08:22 AM
Probably just another media beat up, I am sure there is a story in it somewhere but the true and facts of it have been lost in translation by the journo....

Bella
13-06-2012, 08:38 AM
Probably just another media beat up, I am sure there is a story in it somewhere but the true and facts of it have been lost in translation by the journo....

Yep agree Neddy. $5000 isn't much to ask for if you're trying to extort money. More of a story here methinks, which we're very unlikely to hear....

Rambodian
13-06-2012, 10:01 AM
Yep agree Neddy. $5000 isn't much to ask for if you're trying to extort money. More of a story here methinks, which we're very unlikely to hear....

Is what I am thinking too Bella.

It's a shame most of our olympic aesthetes are so under paid/funded, if your not a swimmer than your basically a nobody in the Australian olympic team.

Ashamed of his actions, but wonder what led to this?

13-06-2012, 10:24 AM
Im pretty certain thats how it all went down.

Fucking shameful.

Shrek
13-06-2012, 10:30 AM
Maybe he should just represent Cameroon from whence he came from.

D1cko
13-06-2012, 10:53 AM
Maybe he should just represent Cameroon from whence he came from.

They probably don't have the sport programs and the funding that we have here...greedy bastard! If I was the other lifters I'd be starting an angry mob!!!

chocchillimango
13-06-2012, 05:13 PM
Agree with comments here...definitely some back story here we don't know about.

that said, his actions are not the greatest. whatever his reasons, holding the team to ransom like that is poor form.

will be interesting if this is discussed at all in the news over coming days.

not swimming, so maybe not :(

DKD
13-06-2012, 07:01 PM
not swimming, so maybe not :(

Haha, yeah good call!

On a slightly related note, if I see 2 minutes of bloody dressage and equestrian at the upcoming Olympics, it'll be 2 minutes too much!

Why do they show so much of that horse shit and so little weightlifting ?

Gold medal pun squeezed in there! :D

Neddysmith
13-06-2012, 07:09 PM
Yeah they also show little of the boxing and judo, and mountain biking

Shrek
13-06-2012, 07:14 PM
Show me the Fencing any day. eheheheh sorry..Muahahahahaha

chocchillimango
13-06-2012, 07:39 PM
I love fencing and archery, but especially fencing. *wog genes*

and hey, DKD, nothing wrong with dressage ... great sport.

just no showing of synchronised swimming, diving, etc. no synchronised water sports. don't go there!!!!!!!!!!!!

Neddysmith
13-06-2012, 07:44 PM
Hahaha synchronised drowning is NOT a sport.......

chocchillimango
13-06-2012, 07:46 PM
Hahaha synchronised drowning is NOT a sport.......

I'd be the one holding their heads under water with those silly caps....

no, I'm not sorry!!! :p

Shrek
13-06-2012, 07:49 PM
Greco Roman Wrestling FTW :)

http://www.euroteamtickets.com/flash/EventImages/Wrestling-Greco-Roman-Olympics.jpg

http://www.payvand.com/news/10/nov/Iranian-Greco-Roman-wrestlers-ASIAD11.jpghttp://www.payvand.com/news/10/nov/Iranian-Greco-Roman-wrestlers-ASIAD11.jpg

Shrek
13-06-2012, 07:49 PM
[QUOTE=Shrek;323075]Greco Roman Wrestling FTW :)

http://www.euroteamtickets.com/flash/EventImages/Wrestling-Greco-Roman-Olympics.jpg

http://www.payvand.com/news/10/nov/Iranian-Greco-Roman-wrestlers-ASIAD11.jpg

Bella
13-06-2012, 07:52 PM
I love the diving.
I love the swimming.
I love the wrestling.
I love the gymnastics.
I love the track and field events.
Australia seems to do very well in the shooting lol

But my favourite part of any Olympics - is the opening and closing ceremonies lololol

chocchillimango
13-06-2012, 07:57 PM
[QUOTE=Shrek;323075]Greco Roman Wrestling FTW :)

http://www.payvand.com/news/10/nov/Iranian-Greco-Roman-wrestlers-ASIAD11.jpg

The Chair!!! Give him the Chair!!!!!!!!!!

Neddysmith
13-06-2012, 08:09 PM
Yeah they definately need to show more of the shooting events

Figjam Brah
13-06-2012, 08:12 PM
Callan, you reading this for when you represent Australian :P

As for what needs to be shown... female sprinters please...

DKD
13-06-2012, 08:34 PM
and hey, DKD, nothing wrong with dressage ... great sport.

what the??????

tell your story walking viv lol....that aint no sport my friend...that's foreplay for a frontal lobotomy!!

chocchillimango
13-06-2012, 09:33 PM
what the??????

tell your story walking viv lol....that aint no sport my friend...that's foreplay for a frontal lobotomy!!

*blows raspberry* it's horse dancing and that's beautiful.

PowerBuilder
13-06-2012, 09:41 PM

Bella
13-06-2012, 09:45 PM
But it was stated in the news tonight that the 'high up' in AWF confirmed that the wrestler did indeed ask for money and the money was given to him as a personal loan, not as professional payment for anything.

Maybe he was in a bind and needed to borrow money? Or needed help?

My staff have often come to me for financial assistance - for anywhere from a $20 loan to $2000 and although they could always go to HR and ask for a 'forward' in their pay - I gave it to them as a personal loan, so it had nothing to do with work. It happens.

It'll be interesting to see how it pans out.

PowerBuilder
13-06-2012, 09:52 PM

Bella
13-06-2012, 09:56 PM
Agree, it would indeed be extortion. But I still don't think we have the whole story yet.
Regardless it'll be interesting to see how it pans out over the next few days....

chocchillimango
14-06-2012, 09:46 AM
today's update:

Fallout widens on athlete's 'cash grab' (http://www.theage.com.au/sport/olympics-2012/fallout-widens-on-athletes-cash-grab-20120613-20am4.html)

PowerBuilder
14-06-2012, 12:28 PM

wingman
14-06-2012, 02:30 PM
Bella, I think I speak on behalf of virtibrates (and some invertebrates) when encouraging you not to speak about stuff you don't know about. Take your hippie / homeootherapy somewhere else.

Qft

Vinny
14-06-2012, 04:27 PM
Bella, I think I speak on behalf of virtibrates (and some invertebrates) when encouraging you not to speak about stuff you don't know about. Take your hippie / homeootherapy somewhere else.

Hey PB... I think you are selling yourself short.....you could easily be spokesperson for a much larger demographic...at least include pseudo intellectuals and semi literates as well.;)

GHOSTrun
14-06-2012, 04:38 PM
<opinion reserved for later on when more details have come to light>

Matty
14-06-2012, 06:04 PM
He should be kicked out of the sport!

PowerBuilder
14-06-2012, 06:06 PM
The first Australian refugee in australia

chocchillimango
14-06-2012, 06:23 PM
guys, I started this thread because I was dismayed at that sort of conduct in our olympic hopefuls.

it's great to debate it all but vilification and comments of a racist nature aren't really adding to the discussion, yeah?
Everyone is entitled to their opinion of course.

I think his conduct is reprehensible, whatever his financial situation, because he chose to hold his teammates to ransom, athletes who have worked hard to earn a place to represent their country on the world stage in their chosen sport.

What's more, he did so behind their backs, to officials, and put the officials in an extremely difficult position (i can understand them caving and giving him the money, given the circumstances and Australia's performance to date).

But this speaks about his character, not his country of origin, his status as a refugee/immigrant or whatever.

just sayin' :)

Matty
14-06-2012, 07:00 PM
He was probably pushed through the citizenship process by being an athlete who was going to compete for Australia tho... kind of ironic that after getting citizenship to compete for Aus he then blackmails the team
I mean this comment to be in no way racist!

oldcorollas
14-06-2012, 08:39 PM
reports were saying the AWF guy offered him money first out of his own pocket ($1000) to put in a bit more effort to reach the total the team needed to qualify....

The alleged incident happened at the championships, which double as an Olympic qualifying competition.

Audio: Listen to Ben Knight's report (AM)
Australia needed a high finish as a team in the event to win a quota spot for one weightlifter to compete in London.

"We were a little bit bothered about one of the attitudes of one of the athletes who, we felt, wasn't going to reach his potential within the total and so in order to give him a little bit of an incentive, I personally offered him an amount of money," Keelan said.

"In fact the amount was $1,000, to make sure he did a total that would place him as high as possible in the event so that we could score the maximum points in order to make sure that our team did exactly what we set out to do, which was to qualify one athlete in the male section."

"You think that everyone who's representing Australia does so with pride and with commitment and, unfortunately, we heard that that wasn't the case with Daniel Koum," he said.

"So I personally thought, well, the best way to negate any negatives out of all this would be to, by offering, sort of, some money, whereby he could actually compete and have some incentive to do the total that we asked of him which was 250 kilograms."

Keelan said that Koum originally agreed to the $1000 payment, shaking hands with the chief executive in front of witnesses.

and after that it got messy..

although the guy is farked for demanding $5K (if he did), he probably wouldn't have asked for it, if he had not been promised $1K by the offial (that he had not asked for)

not defending him for his poor behaviour, but i wonder if it would not have happened, if he had not been offered the 1K in the first place?

what kind of "official" offers cash incentives out of their own pocket??

now he's taking legal action and denies the allegations...
Aussie weightlifter to take legal action - ABC News (Australian Broadcasting Corporation) (http://www.abc.net.au/news/2012-06-14/aussie-weightlifter-set-to-take-legal-action/4071372)

remember he did make the lift to get 1 person to the olympics, and he won't be the one going...

Darkoz
14-06-2012, 08:46 PM
It's one thing to be offered an incentive but quite another to blackmail or extort for money.

oldcorollas
14-06-2012, 08:51 PM
there is still a question over whether he did or not...
if he did, thats f#cked.. if not.. there must be a bit going on behind the scenes for such an accusation (and admission of the "performance incentive") to have come out

Aussie weightlifter disputes cash grab (http://news.smh.com.au/breaking-news-sport/aussie-weightlifter-disputes-cash-grab-20120613-20a1x.html)
PM - Weightlifting official confirms Olympic extortion allegations 13/06/2012 (http://www.abc.net.au/pm/content/2012/s3524533.htm)

how would you be if you were him.. actualyl innocent.. and copping all this shit? and he won't even be the one going to the olympics anyway... and he DID help Aus to win the samoa comp

But Koum, who fell just short of the medals at the 2010 Commonwealth Games in Delhi, has rejected the claims.

"I'm very shocked," he told AAP.
"I've always been competing.
"I've put all my financial money to represent this country and they're accusing me for (asking for) $5000?
"With past competitions, even I just went to represent Australia in the world championships and it cost me more than $10,000.
"I'm very disappointed."

what if it turns out the official was the one that offered $5000... and is now pissed and wants hsi money back?
maybe he just doesn't like him because ne's "non-Australian"? maybe he wants to give some other bloke a go in that weight division?

oldcorollas
14-06-2012, 08:55 PM
the story is true. The Next AWF meeting is next week and it'll be heavily discussed.

I know of several coaches and athletes in samoa while this happened.

This is a fact. He hit up a major person in the AWF for some coin. They agreed and shock on it. The athlete then aapproached another AWF rep for more coin than before.

PB, while I don't doubt your connections :), the guy that actually offered and paid the money was on live radio saying that HE approached Koum first and offered $1000 as a performance incentive.. Koum didn't approach him initially...
he said he did it himself because he didn't think Koum was motivated enough to do his best, and offered 1K from his own pocket....

is that in conflict with what you heard?