• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Advice pls, moving out

canned tuna

I'm moving out and could do with some advice from anyone...

Looking for tips of budgeting, actually really anything you wish you knew before you moved out or think is good oil for a young bloke moving on in life

My history... I've House-sat alone for 4 months before
I grew a lot in maturity, and from having to rely on myself for survival I learnt to prioritise my income also.
Was on a very low income then, barely survived. Even though I had people around a couple times a week, the loneliness was starting to take its toll on me.

Left that place because I had lung surgery so had to have months off work, that = no income. Been living with different parents since then

So now my current situation

- I am used to paying 400-450 per week as soon as I get paid (100 board, 3-350 saving to move), and surviving/enjoying the rest
- I am still a casual worker
- After tax I get $700pw
- I am studying part time online

I am pretty much just going to take the plunge.

Very confident on my housemate for reliability. He's 26y/o and has lived out of home for years with partners. He's experienced and has rental history, has stable full time job.
Pretty comfortable it will work for us.... I have lived with him before for a few weeks sometimes and although we have had our problems we are pretty much best of mates and work through our issues

I'm a little unsure of whether I should drop uni for now and get a second job - to make sure i always have an income if shit goes downhill

Any tips much appreciated

Gonna start inspecting in a month.
Already have my queen bed and new mattress, we have combined ownership of new fridge, washing machine, new couch...

Looking to pay 250-300 pw each, our own apartment around st leonards Sydney

Last edited by a moderator:
Doing it to move on and grow more as a person.. Also the only way I'd be comfortable having a looong term girlfriend is if I had my own place.. In the meantime itll be better for the er... personal life

Last edited:
I learn't not to move in with friends, unless there's a girlfriend that can handle the little discrepancies, even so....

don't fret, stay in uni.

I used to keep $1000 in the bank in case of emergency. might need a bit more these days.

If you can, you'd probably be better off staying at home.

good luck

Depending on your situation and relationship with your folks. Id be staying at home til I've finished uni or acquired a full time job. My reason for this is.

Your good at saving and by the time your financially secure you will be in a position to buy your own home.
That's what id do.

But for advice... Buy the foods that are on special.

use easy pay plans eg: put $50ea on power/gas bills , when the bills come in you don't have as much to pay in one lump sum

Pay off debts before you move out, pay of credit cards and have enough $ saved for an emergency.
Write out a budget to try and avoid living week to week.

Stay at home till you have a degree or trade then buy your own place, you will end up spending the rest of your life chasing your tail trying to get ahead if you do it anyother way.

KungFooGoo wouldnt move out unless he owned the place. Renting seems like a waste of money to be honest.. Different people want different things though and lf 'feeling independant' is worth that 350 a week then go for it.....

Save $5000 and put it in a long term account for emergencies.

Couple of questions

1. Who's name is the house going to be in?
2. Who's name is the utilities going to be in?

I ask because if it's all in your mates name, than ultimately he is responsible for them being paid. That is much better for you to have it that way because he will have to pay no matter what, and as long as you pay your share there would be no issues. But ultimately, he will also be able to kick your arse out if he meets a missus etc, this is why you need $5000 as back up.

If I were you, I would find a small place of my own and than it's up to you what you want to do. We learned early on that sharing a house with friends is always a short term option, it never works out long term.

Good luck mate

Sounds pretty good everyone.

Unfortunately my mother is moving out of town this year and my father's place isnt an option so it really is time to move out either way

Not living week to week is doable.. how many weeks minimum should I be ahead of expenses?

A couple K for emergency sounds like a necessity too

I buy my own food so nothing much will change

Regarding bills.. I was thinking of budgeting money aside weekly for them but this easy pay plan sounds wise

Uni degree is 6-7 years away unfortunately

Cheers

Save $5000 and put it in a long term account for emergencies.

Couple of questions

1. Who's name is the house going to be in?
2. Who's name is the utilities going to be in?

I ask because if it's all in your mates name, than ultimately he is responsible for them being paid. That is much better for you to have it that way because he will have to pay no matter what, and as long as you pay your share there would be no issues. But ultimately, he will also be able to kick your arse out if he meets a missus etc, this is why you need $5000 as back up.

If I were you, I would find a small place of my own and than it's up to you what you want to do. We learned early on that sharing a house with friends is always a short term option, it never works out long term.

Good luck mate

Hey mate

I'll ask him now... his name will definitely be on it because he has rental history, but we haven't discussed if mine will be also be on it

Im not sure what you mean by having names on utilities... does that mean electricity etc? If so, we haven't discussed that yet

We've discussed the mrs thing... if she moves in (he wants at least a year of his own space apparently) it'll be in his room like last time
With that though, we haven't discussed cost splitting... ie is rent split 3 ways or is his share split 2 ways... bills etc

Mate if the option to not move out isn't there I have always tried to live by the rule you need to have 8-12 weeks expenses as savings in case everything goes to the shit.

are you able to get a more permanent position? Your going to need sick, holiday pay and some security in case your fall crook.

How do you feel about moving with a mate and his partner?
What other expenses do you have? I think on your income its doable. I was able to save and travel with similar fund to you. But i was in a shared house though. Electricity and water was included.

Initial move in will cost a bit considering you need towels, cleaning products etc

If you've got reasonably stable income like that, you shouldn't have a problem living by yourself. As you know, food will cost you around $100-$150 a week when you're eating for three (you and the two guns you're growing - just thought that up now).

Utilities tend to be extravagant if you're not extremely energy conscious. The missus and I are quite cost conscious, use almost no power when we aren't home, and rarely run the A/C, and we have an electricity bill of around $250-$300 per quarter.

Start buying the little things in dribs and drabs until you move out - one large and one small frying pan, three different sized pots (one tiny, one regular and one massive), and all the KFS and plates/bowls you might want. A microwave is a necessity.

Get a decent phone plan, so that you're not spending an assload of money on pre-paid (unless you're already on one). Don't forget linen and the like as well.

I'd say to have at least $5k saved up - you'll burn through that setting up if you need to buy things like a fridge/washer/etc.

I'm a big fan of progressively paying bills - most of mine I am two months ahead; but some people simply have all that money saved up and accruing those few extra dollars interest until the last minute. The flip side is that if you're two months ahead on bills (that approximate to $125/week) and have $1000 saved up, you're in a much better position than someone who simply has that $1000 saved up.

Oh, and keep posting up here :) (which obviously necessitates an internet connection)

you sound a shitload more mature and organised than i was when i moved out , but yeh when money is tight it can cause issues if someone leaves the aircon on all the time , never buys shit tickets , eats your food , the list goes on , you may want your name on the lease that way you will get a rent history , but it also means you up for bond etc ,
i have had really good share house expirences and some shit ones too , this one chick i lived with was a real dits , she would allways iron her shirt for work in the morning and allways forget to turn the iron off , i expected to come home and find the house burnt to the ground ,

you will have a blast though , fun times

Hey mate

I'll ask him now... his name will definitely be on it because he has rental history, but we haven't discussed if mine will be also be on it

Im not sure what you mean by having names on utilities... does that mean electricity etc? If so, we haven't discussed that yet

We've discussed the mrs thing... if she moves in (he wants at least a year of his own space apparently) it'll be in his room like last time
With that though, we haven't discussed cost splitting... ie is rent split 3 ways or is his share split 2 ways... bills etc

Yeh utilities I meant elec and water etc, you better go ahead and ask all the questions mate. If he has the rights to the house, you're out on your arse when shit gets real.....believe me. His missus will out trump you, every time lol, that's what owning a pussy will do :p. Like I said, if I were you (and I have been there mate) I would be looking at this as a short term option. You will be better off in your own little place somewhere, look for granny flats etc with their own elec/water lines and shit, living with mates in a share place never lasts the test of time.

That being said, if your savy and save, you can make a good go at it, but you both need ground rules, be very very clear about having friends over, the missus staying over, parties, anything that is going to consume your money by his actions. An example.....how would you like it if his missus kept staying over and using shit loads of hot water etc.....these are all things to consider.

But if you get the ground rules established and both are level headed lads, can work a treat.

Sounds good all round

Not confident pushing for a full time role at the moment.. have a new boss and it is a dead period of the year. Perhaps permanent part time is the go... I'll think about how I can approach it

I'll keep buying stuff for the move for now

Don't mind living with the Mrs, done it before.

At the end of the day, I gotta take the leap

Be sure you have a rainy day fund - enough to live for a month without any income or for when an emergency hits, eg: fridge dies, if the fund is not at the desired level ($5000 sounds like a good amount) then only spend on essentials until it has been topped up.

Keep a spreadsheet or similar that lists when bills are going to come in so you know what your outgoings are going to be ahead of time. If you want to get fancy you can even forecast out food spend, gym memberships etc. and have a full budget.

Split up chores clearly so you and your mate know who is responsible for what, be flexible in the short term if shit hits the fan.

Once money shit is sorted, be sure to take advantage of your young carefree time and chase lots of tail.

Sounds good all round

Not confident pushing for a full time role at the moment.. have a new boss and it is a dead period of the year. Perhaps permanent part time is the go... I'll think about how I can approach it

I'll keep buying stuff for the move for now

Don't mind living with the Mrs, done it before.

At the end of the day, I gotta take the leap

Dude!

Why would you want to live with the Missus? (Apart
from the obvious?)

I'd say live on your own for at least 12months before
making that move.

I found that living alone was the best thing for me.
Something mentally shifts 'within' you when
you realise that you have to pay bills, make breakfast,
wash your own clothes etc etc. and be 'responsible'
for your self and your own happiness.

Also 'alone' time gives me time to reflect on what I want
in life. REALLY!

Devante.

Moving next Saturday. Yikes

Feet are freezing coooooold.. and only got a couple grand in the black

On the flipside pumped for the adult lifestyle lol.. the bills, the hassles.. gotta be done. Bring on the challenge

Cheers for all the advice

Ended up going both names on lease. Contract for mutually owned items. If Mrs stays for more than 3 days pw shes gotta pay fair share

Time to hate my mate's guts! Lol!